New to the hobby

CHC325

My son found you guys on Youtube. He asked his great-grandmother for a RC plane for Christmas. We didn't think much of it because we didn't hear from either afterwards. Little did we know great-grandmother got on the phone and you guys walked her through a beginners set up. She bought it, wrapped it up, and put it under the tree without us knowing. At Christmas big surprise when he opened the box. I have always wanted to fly RC but never really jumped on the opportunity. We have now watched most of the beginner series and build his (our) Mini Arrow. Once we get through the series we are going to give it our best at a local school yard or maybe the family farm. I'm trying to take baby steps so we don't break first time out and get discouraged. I transferred the pattern from the mini arrow over to another foam board we had from another project so we can rebuild when needed and maybe convince my wife to get another F-kit and Xmitter/receiver so we can fly together. My son is also into trying youtube videos so we may have to strap a gopro on it at some point.

Anyways thank you guys for making this so much easier to get into the hobby than what I originally thought it would take.

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
I would recommend printing the plans and making a conventional type plane. Just cut it out of the foam. Also, what transmitter are you using?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I'm trying to take baby steps so we don't break first time out and get discouraged. I transferred the pattern from the mini arrow over to another foam board we had from another project so we can rebuild when needed.
Ive been flying a long time, is not a matter of “if” you crash but when you crash. That’s what we all have in common, we all crash.

If you can, join a local flying club, they should be able to teach you & your son to fly.

Last edited:

CHC325

So the transmitter we got is the DXE Spektrum. I had to do some research for getting it to work. The "book that came with it is lacking in information, we didn't know about a programming cable until many searches on Google.

thank you for the tip on cheaper-lighter camera,

Yes crashing is going to be part of it and I like the videos pointing out that when you crash you learn. I don't know of a club here but I will ask around. At one point there was a club and even a runway out at the airport so maybe there are still some people around.

luke k

nice, the arrow might be a very hard plane to start with but my only advice is to just do it and don't the nerves come in. the arrow goes very fast and it can be intimidating for a first flight but you should be good to go!

skymaster

Elite member
for me that was my trainer since it's a bank and yank. love the way it cruises just above the grass you loose less props with the mini arrow.
and it is super easy to build.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
So the transmitter we got is the DXE Spektrum. I had to do some research for getting it to work. The "book that came with it is lacking in information, we didn't know about a programming cable until many searches on Google.

thank you for the tip on cheaper-lighter camera,

Yes crashing is going to be part of it and I like the videos pointing out that when you crash you learn. I don't know of a club here but I will ask around. At one point there was a club and even a runway out at the airport so maybe there are still some people around.

Spektrum, my favorite radio brand. :) Which Spektrum did you go with? Sounds like maybe the DXe, which despite what some may say, isn't a TERRIBLE radio, but it is limited in its functionality. If you find that you want to step up to a nicer plane or a helicopter, you'll want to purchase something with 8 channels, like the DX8. The good news is that if you do that, the DXe isn't useless; you can use it for buddy boxing utilizing the wireless trainer functionality. We actually use DXe radios for some of our trainer radios, so they're definitely nice as a backup. :)

As for finding a field, try checking out the Model Airfields app for either Android or iOS. It will show club sites and popular flying sites that may not be club related. Keep in mind that club sites may have restricted access for liability reasons, so you might be best off contacting them first before you try to go out to the field.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
the arrow can be a very good trainer assuming you don't put a huge motor on it. with an 1806-2300kv it flies just fine and is not too much of a handful. once you get comfortable flying then put a 2205 or 2207 on it and have some real fun!

welcome,

me :cool:

Bricks

Master member
I have a dx9 and I love it.

, I have 2 DX9`s after trying OT and kept giving me headaches trying to figure out how it works as I am not techy just old, I am so thankful for Spektrum. Yes you pay more but there service is impeccable and now it will do just as much as OT only easier.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I'll throw my hat in with the other spektrum guys. I've got a Dxe and a DX8 and both have worked great awesome for buddy boxing together for the kids. There are cheaper ways to go but they tend to be a bit more involved. Not beginner friendly IMHO.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
As some have said, the arrow is a great trainer! It’s tough, easy to fix, and the prop won’t break since it’s a pusher. Just keep the throws down and you’ll be good to go! It sounds like you’ve been watching all the “get started” series so you’ll have a good idea what to do when you take your first flight! Good luck and have fun!