New to the hobby

JackpfSpades42

Hi. I'm new to the hobby. I tried flying freestyle drones a few years ago and just didn't have the time to mess with it. Now I want to build planes!! I'm looking to build a mini to start off with. What plans would you recommend, free or otherwise, to start with?

Thanks!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Welcome to the FT family @JackpfSpades42!

If you're looking for a mini to start, the FT Mighty Mini Tiny Trainer is probably your best bet. If you want to go with something slightly bigger, I'd say look at the FT Simple Scout.

JackpfSpades42

I appreciate the recommendations so far!! I have some old quad parts laying around and might throw something together this weekend. Plenty of spare motors and ESCs. What would a good frsky receiver be? I'm used using like the xm+ and stuff on a quad. They can't control servos.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I appreciate the recommendations so far!! I have some old quad parts laying around and might throw something together this weekend. Plenty of spare motors and ESCs. What would a good frsky receiver be? I'm used using like the xm+ and stuff on a quad. They can't control servos.

I would get something with 6 channels, that should cover just about any Flite Test plane you might want to build (most could be done in 4 channels)

also note that ESCs for quads normally don't have a BEC built in, but most plane ESCs do, so you will also need a BEC if your ESC doesn't have a BEC in it.

JackpfSpades42

I would get something with 6 channels, that should cover just about any Flite Test plane you might want to build (most could be done in 4 channels)

also note that ESCs for quads normally don't have a BEC built in, but most plane ESCs do, so you will also need a BEC if your ESC doesn't have a BEC in it.

For sure! Thanks for the the heads up!! Yea I picked up a handful ubecs and a bulk pack of servos from Amazon this morning. To the craft store today for some foam board!!

Hi. I'm new to the hobby. I tried flying freestyle drones a few years ago and just didn't have the time to mess with it. Now I want to build planes!! I'm looking to build a mini to start off with. What plans would you recommend, free or otherwise, to start with?

Thanks!
Welcome! Hey did you misspell your screen name? If so, contact an admin to change it before you have a lot more activity here. ;)

Scotto

Elite member
For sure! Thanks for the the heads up!! Yea I picked up a handful ubecs and a bulk pack of servos from Amazon this morning. To the craft store today for some foam board!!
Dont use hobby lobby foamboard. It weighs twice as much and costs 6x. I made that mistake on my first plane. The good stuff is at dollar tree. I never knew there were so many dollar trees around me.