New to the hobby

gregorytorp

Hi. I'm new to the hobby. I tried flying freestyle drones a few years ago and just didn't have the time to mess with it. Now I want to build planes!! I'm looking to build a mini to start off with. What plans would you recommend, free or otherwise, to start with?

Thanks!

luvmy40

Elite member
The FT mini Flyer is a great, easy build to get your feet wet.

Do you have a radio? I'm using the FlySky FSi6X. It's definitely an entry level transmitter, but It has a lot of features that decry the price point. + the recievers are cheap and easy to find. There is a compatible 4 chan. micro reciever for under $15.00 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0865TVHQK/?tag=lstir-20 that fits nicely in the mini series.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Welcome! I agree with the other posters: keep your first plane simple, as it probably won't last very long. Have fun, and remember each failure is just another step towards success.

skymaster

Elite member
Welcome, I think Merv got you in the right direction. you could also try the mighty miny arrow. good luck and have fun.

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
A highly overlooked plane is the Simple Soarer. I appreciated how it is built from sub-assemblies so unless the crash was really bad all I had to do was rebuild the section that got damaged rather than the whole plane. The glider wing and three channel set up are easy to learn on and the sport wing makes it an altogether different plane when you're ready for ailerons.

I believe all of the planes recommended here can be found as free plans on these forums. Check out @SP0NZ in the resources tab, he has links to everything they offered as free back in the good old days.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
in my opinion the mini scout is the best mini trainer...
that or the ft simple scout, i doubt you can beat any of them

voyhager3

It really just depends on how big your flying area is
If you only have a park to fly at any mighty mini (I like the tiny trainer, but i'm biased)
But if you have a large flying area 6+ acres (3+ hectares)/ a large field or a sports complex, a powered simple soarer or an Explorer would be my suggestion because they fly a lot smoother.

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I built scaled down versions of the Simple soarer. Been ling enough now I don't remember whether I did 65, 75, or 85% but the finished plane was roughly the same size as the bigger mini designs. Built several as chuck gliders for my brothers kids and one of these was one of the first planes I put electronics in to try to learn flying.

checkerboardflyer

How about the FT Tenet? It’s a slow flyer, easy to build, and the motor is mounted in back, not the front. No need to worry about broken props. More tips for foam board R/C modelers on my blog: https://foamboardflyers.com

https://store.flitetest.com/search.php?search_query=ft%20tenet§ion=product

ft tenet forum.jpg