New to the skies

Looney2008

Hello and thanks for letting me join.
I'm new to the hobbies, but am keen to do so basic flying in my area. Teesside.
I would love so pointers to get started, keeping the budget low but fun.
I have at my disposal a 3d printer so can make things to aid in my quest later on but would love some pointers on feedback on Goggles and receiver control, my aim is some fun with drone and then build a plane later on with advice and skills gained as I learn from here onwards. Was thinking of a starter kit but also maybe buy the parts separately so your advice really helps on these things.
I am competent at soldering also so look forward to the future builds, thanks and any help and pointers are appreciated at a start budget of £200 and upgrade to better as skills improve.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forums.
I would encourage you to join your local flying club, if you have one near by.

slowjo

Master member
Hello and thanks for letting me join.
I'm new to the hobbies, but am keen to do so basic flying in my area. Teesside.
I would love so pointers to get started, keeping the budget low but fun.
I have at my disposal a 3d printer so can make things to aid in my quest later on but would love some pointers on feedback on Goggles and receiver control, my aim is some fun with drone and then build a plane later on with advice and skills gained as I learn from here onwards. Was thinking of a starter kit but also maybe buy the parts separately so your advice really helps on these things.
I am competent at soldering also so look forward to the future builds, thanks and any help and pointers are appreciated at a start budget of £200 and upgrade to better as skills improve.
welcom to the addiction, the bar is pretty low, they let anyone join, they let me in after all:cool:

Looney2008

He's not kidding, it really is an addiction. So beware of you parents or wife because they will go crazy with all the mess you'll make.
The wife already goes mad at the mess I make lol, but seriously I'm wanting start cheap and have fun, that way when kids break it, it can be replaced and fewer tears. Was looking at loads of tutorials, and mods available. But back to basics, range, not far, we learning, goggles as me daughter is direction blind on cheaper drones lol so they should help.
Anyone recommend frisky or flysky as a starter remote ?

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Nope, but I have a mackem live on my street, more near Boro. Stockton on tees.
And hello Ian
Alreet pal, nice to have another Brit on here specially a Northener. Frsky uses Open Tx software and can be a bit tricky to get your head around when first starting off, not that cheap either. There are cheaper and better OPen Tx radios on the market.
My advice would be get Flysky gear its cheap as chips, plenty of second hand gear on ebay and the receivers are a good price too. It will get you through a good few years and has plenty of functionality, at least until yor well into the hobby and want to upgrade.
You can pick up a new Flysky FS-i6x with a receiver for under £50, additional 6ch receivers for under £10.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Just to clarify FRsky and Flysky are completely different manufacturers.
The FRsky as I said can land you with a whole heap of complications if you dont know what your doing or what your buying.

SJkolenic

Just play with the FrSky and work through the menus, very easy once you know how to program or create new models and setup receivers eg, S6R. Look at youtube, "Painless 360" just goes to fast and assumes you know how the radio works and you are a programmer, not for a beginner.
Check out Rotor Riot, explains it clearly

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
There is NOTHING wrong or complicated with FRSky and open TX IF 1.. you can read. 2. you actually want to learn new things. Its the most versatile system to date. You can be as simple as you want or as complicated as any other tech can be. The quality is MUCH better then other options specially if you get it with the better hall effect gimbals.

Just dont buy the new ACCESS if you want to join the community protesting the move to a proprietary based protocol. On the other hand if you get the newer radio and a 4 in 1 module you can have the best of both Access and ACCT protocols as well as be able to fly pretty much EVERY protocol on the market.

Spectrum is good gear, proprietary and expensive with far less ability in what it can do.

Flysky is bottom of the barrel when it comes to quality and you will pretty much want to upgrade within a month or three after having one due to the limitations of their systems anyways.

Regardless of what you choose there are plenty of people and resources here to solve any issue you may come across. Welcome to FT and the hobby.

The more important thing then gear right now is the fluctuation of laws regarding what we can or can not do, how, when, and where we can do it. Every country is slightly different so be prepared to do some serious looking into all that so you can make an informed decision how to move forward. TONS of opinions here to listen to.. DO NOT take any one thought for granted. In the end it is you that has to pay the fines and do the time if you make certain choices.