New to this!

Chrisl

Hey all I'm pretty new to flying.. Ive been flying my mini cub in Chicago wind for the past few weeks. I've pretty much got it down and want to move on to something better. Im currently looking at the Apprentice S15e its pretty big and about 300 bucks. I really like the swapable builds I love the Spitfire and was wondering how difficult it would be for a noob to build? I also dont have any electronics and have read the recommended motors, servos etc.. Just want to get your opinions of which route I should take. Also keep in mind that I havent flown anything with ailerons. I like the Idea that I can get a radio and electronics and build a plane and crash it and build another if need be. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Thanks

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Since you're new to building, try the original swappables first, they're the 3-pack in the store. Download the plans and build those first. They are actually a lot of fun to fly but more importantly it will give you important hands on experience with the build techniques needed for all of the FT builds and even some of the other channels creations. I fly the Spitfire all the time and still love flying the Flyer. It's relaxing low and slow and I'll take it places where I won't take some of my other planes to fly.
You can always get the apprentice later if you still want something with SAFE.

Chrisl

Thank you thats a great idea! I didnt see these and the radios they recommend are so cheap thats great! can I get one set of electronics and use them for these three and the newer builds like the spitfire?

earthsciteach

Hi, Chrisi and welcome to your new addiction!

Yes, you CAN use the same electronics in the Spitfire as the FT Flyer and Nutball, depending on what you go with. Personally, I'd want a motor like the Blue Wonder (http://www.lazertoyz.com/2712-12-24g-standard-or-multicopter_p_10.html) for the Flyer and Nutball but a more powerful motor for the Spitfire. The "Beef" would be a good choice.

To make it simple, here's a link to the swappable 3 pack with electronics: http://www.lazertoyz.com/Swappable-3-Pack-Powerelectronics-_p_429.html

And to the Spit with the larger motor: http://www.lazertoyz.com/Swappable-Spit-Powerelectronics-pack-THE-BEEF-_p_441.html

RoyBro

Mentor
I'm afraid you will outgrow it by the time you reach the third of the three pack.
I would recommend the Turnigy 9x or 9xr.

It will even outperform the Spectrum 5e as well. And at a lower cost.

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Teach is spot on with the electronics selection! Just get the stuff you need to go into the 3 pack, for now, so you can get a little experience with the planes you built. Once you start to get comfortable with them, order up a serving of the Beef and start cutting more foam for a Spitfire. Keep the control throws mild at first and make sure the plane balances where it's supposed to so it will fly right.

The 5e is an ok starter radio, as is the one you link to, but one that has very limited programming capability and is easy to grow out of if you plan on flying for very long. If you are deciding right now between those 2, get the Hobbyking radio and then start reading about the Turnigy 9X/9XR or the Taranis from Frsky. These are 9+ channel radios with open source firmware so they will basically grow with you and do almost anything you'll need them to for quite some time. Best thing is, the turnigy's are both under $100 and the Taranis is $200, but has a ton more features built into the radio itself. That is a lot to try digest right now, so, let's call that research you can do later, when you have some more flights under your belt with a radio that is not as complicated. The main thing is, to stick with an easy to use radio that is like the first 2 you mentioned unless programming doesn't scare you.

Last edited:

Chrisl

Again Thank you all for the responses and information! I like the 9XR and thats a great price.... 50 bucks cant beat that... Hobby king is a good company to order from right lol? ok Heres what I gathered.. since I plan on flying as much as I can for as long as I can. Ill go with the three pack and electronics. I will also purchase the 9XR since its 50 dollars cheaper then the DX5e lol. I will also purchase the Spitfire since Im in love with that dang thing since I saw the "speed test" video lol I'll get some time under my belt with the three and when Im ready swap the electronics minus maybe the motor with the spit and go from there.. Sounds like a great plan only thing that stinks is that winters coming... Can I fly in the winter if I minwax my foam? and one more question will my RC buggy lipo charger charge the batterys that I will purchase for my plans? its a Reedy ac/dc 2s-6s lipo balance charger with deans plugs...?

Thanks again you all are too kind :)

RoyBro

Mentor
As for the charger it should be fine. As for flying in winter, it depends on a lot of factors. Chances are you will have crashed these planes before the cold weather becomes a factor.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Sounds like a plan! The cold will affect you more than the plane if you keep your lipo's in your pocket until you're ready to fly. They don't like the extreme cold too much. It will be too cold for you before it's too cold for them.

I would minwax it anyway if you think it might get damp. Dew in the mornings is a foamboard warp machine. (Don't ask how I figured that out.) Fly it first to make sure you don't need any changes, then minwax if it flies well. The power pods are usually taped so I haven't bothered with minwaxing those.

Chrisl

Awesome thanks again! Looks like ill order the 9x since the 9xr doesn't seem to come with a receiver ..thanks again and happy flying :)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
If you go with the 9X, you'll need to do some modification to upgrade the firmware. The 9XR has those mods already done. They are easy to do and there are instructions all over the web on how to do it, I just wanted you to know what you're getting into...There's also a no-solder solution for the 9X at Smartieparts...

Here's it being installed. This video is for a kit but you can get these parts separately like the back-light and the board.

Last edited:

Chrisl

Oh yikes didn't know that...Ok do you recommend a receiver that will work for the 9xr?

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
When the 9X was first released, a lot of people were unhappy about the way the programming was done, so some really bright people figured out how to modify the main board to allow an upgrade to the firmware for a much easier to use version and one with more features. When the 9XR came out, Turnigy took cues from all the popular mods that had been done to the 9X and added them to the 9XR. but they also changed the shape of the radio and made the switches harder to get to for some people. Bruce (rcmodelreviews and x-jet channels on youtube) has a comparison video.

Any module will work in the 9XR, as long as it is a JR compatible. Do not get a Futaba compatible, it won't fit.

RoyBro

Mentor
Any module will work in the 9XR, as long as it is a JR compatible. Do not get a Futaba compatible, it won't fit.

That's why I recommend buying the 9x or 9xr WITHOUT a module. FrSky has telemetry enabled transmitter modules and receivers. The DJT module works and the new XJT is reported to work (I don't have one of these... yet). The receivers are a bit more expensive. The FlySky is the module that comes with these transmitters IF you buy them that way. Unfortunately, they come with the module wired to the internal antenna. So if you want to use a different module, you have to cut or desolder the antenna from the module and wire one to the module itself. But the receivers are inexpensive.
The Orange DSMX/DSM2 transmitter module is around $30, but the receivers are pretty inexpensive.

Orange even has an LRS Module and 9ch receiver.

There are a lot of module options if you buy the Turnigy without a module. Even a FlySky transmitter module with antenna. I've seen the price fluctuation day to day from $16 - $20.

earthsciteach

I agree with what Xuzme and RoyBro have said. I will add that the Turnigy 9x will perform just fine with its stock firmware. As you get further along into the hobby you will likely get more comfortable with the idea of upgrading the firmware yourself. That firmware will take you a long way! Its likely that you will WANT the ER9X firmware before you NEED the ER9X firmware! That was my case. The Turnigy 9x is available at an AMAZING price. For $75 (with shipping) or so, you can have a VERY capable radio!

If you can afford around $125, buy the Turnigy 9XR and a FrSky module/RX. This gives you the ER9X firmware and the AWESOME FrSky telemetry system.

Option 3 is to buy the FrSky Taranis radio (if you can find it in stock somewhere). This will cost you around $200 with shipping. If I was to be in your position, and knowing what I do now, I'd go with this radio (if I could afford it). Did I mention I LOVE the FrSky system?

Any of these options will give you a solid radio that will take you a long way. I started with the Turnigy 9x and would probably still be happy with it in its stock configuration were it not for one nasty little problem. The rx antennas tend to break VERY easily. You can protect against this by adding a drop of hot glue where the antenna exits the rx casing. But, that is not fool proof. If an antenna breaks on a FrSky rx you can simply replace it for a couple of dollars.

Bottom line - we all can enjoy highly capable radios for very little cost!

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Good luck finding the Taranis. I have been on the waiting list for Months and no word yet. :(

Thurmond

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Same here...but that's ok. I figure it's probably going to be the last radio I'll need to buy for a long time, so I can wait a bit...