New Transmitter

aidan284NZ

Hi everyone
I currently have a Turnigy 9X radio which I want to get rid of due to the fact the 3 position switch isn't assignable and my APM2.5 doesn't let me use the 3 position switch.
My question is what to get. I want something affordable yet reliable, and a radio with the ability to programme the 3 position switch to anything. What is the radio in the APM review that FliteTest did.
Any other info you want, just ask
Cheers
Aidan

IBeHoey

The Warranty Voider
Hey aidan, before you give up on just yet, the 9x is really really limited with the stock firmware. The 3pos switch can still be used even though it's a pain to setup. Check out this thread http:// http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1688780. If you're handy with a soldering iron, I HIGHLY recommend flashing it over to ER9X. It really makes this transmitter and you'll get features only found on $500+ transmitters (one being the ability to assign any function to any switch, including the 3pos switch) . The mod itself is quite simple, you just solder 6 wires to the main pcb (little soldering pads are already there to simply this process) and hook them up to an USBasp AVR programmer. As I said, don't give up on it just yet, with a little work, it can really be an awesome transmitter. :D

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I love mine with the er9x FW. I can assign all 6 flight modes with just the 3 pos switch and one other switch. I also did the Frsky module with telemetry and the smartieparts boards to get the telemetry to display on the Tx screen. But doing just the FW update is a huge leap for this Tx. Try it before you give up on it...it's worth it.

earthsciteach

I agree with the guys above. The 9XR is great! Love mine. I also have the FrSky module. Great improvement over stock.

IBeHoey

The Warranty Voider
I love mine with the er9x FW. I can assign all 6 flight modes with just the 3 pos switch and one other switch. I also did the Frsky module with telemetry and the smartieparts boards to get the telemetry to display on the Tx screen. But doing just the FW update is a huge leap for this Tx. Try it before you give up on it...it's worth it.

It's the king of all animals! You're the first I've seen with a Perfect Hair Forever avatar, kudos to you. :D
Since you've done the FrSky mod to your tx, have you tried out the OpenTx fw yet? It's a lot like ER9X, similar menus and setup but the telemetry features are more refined. I've been running it for a few days now and really like it.

aidan284NZ

The only thing that turns me off about this er9x firmware is more the fact I can't find an easy guide to follow. However if I was to get a new radio, what would would you recommend. I've heard good things about the ORX T6 and the tactic 6 ch radio. Any other recommendations are welcome.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It's the king of all animals! You're the first I've seen with a Perfect Hair Forever avatar, kudos to you. :D
Since you've done the FrSky mod to your tx, have you tried out the OpenTx fw yet? It's a lot like ER9X, similar menus and setup but the telemetry features are more refined. I've been running it for a few days now and really like it.
No, I've been running the er9x version for Frsky telemetry. I'll have to check that out.
As for the PHF, I actually broadcast a bunch of the old adult swim toons including perfect hair. It's too bad they only did the two short seasons.
(I was going to use Brenda, but thought that might send the wrong message!)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
The only thing that turns me off about this er9x firmware is more the fact I can't find an easy guide to follow. However if I was to get a new radio, what would would you recommend. I've heard good things about the ORX T6 and the tactic 6 ch radio. Any other recommendations are welcome.
I too was a little worried about the differences I saw in all the guides. Another, no solder option, is the smartieparts board. It mounts right to the board in the 9x with screws and you can then flash with a normal USB cable. If you'd like to give that a try I can get more info or a link to you.
I've heard good things about the Tactic also, but heard is the key. I've never held or flown one.
I've always been a fan of JR and Futaba, but right now all I have for the planes is my er9x and my 72mhz JR. I still have a 3 channel Futaba for one of the nitro buggies along with a JR for those too. I'm sorry, I guess that's not really much help, Aidan

aidan284NZ

I too was a little worried about the differences I saw in all the guides. Another, no solder option, is the smartieparts board. It mounts right to the board in the 9x with screws and you can then flash with a normal USB cable. If you'd like to give that a try I can get more info or a link to you.

Please and thanks

IBeHoey

The Warranty Voider
No, I've been running the er9x version for Frsky telemetry. I'll have to check that out.
As for the PHF, I actually broadcast a bunch of the old adult swim toons including perfect hair. It's too bad they only did the two short seasons.
(I was going to use Brenda, but thought that might send the wrong message!)

"Brenda, come in here! I have news of the upmost importance. . . Dropped some money.. Mmm-banananana."
Oh, I know, I'm just holding on to hope that they'll release it on dvd someday, maybe even bundle it up with the fansub version too.

Colorex, thanks for the link fix. :D

Aidan, the ER9X does take some time to get used to, but I assure you it's a lot more intuitive to figure out than the stock firmware. Don't know if you've seen this yet, but here is a link to a wiki that I found to be very helpful http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page. I forgot all about the smartieparts board, so yeah, the would be a solder free method of flashing. As for other transmitters, I don't know much about the ones you listed, no hands on experience that is. FrSky does have a tx of their own that was just released and it looks quite promising called the taranis. It's 16ch, full telemetry support, speech capabilities, sd card, and it runs off of a ARM cortex processor, oh, and the best part, it's all open source.

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Please and thanks
Here is the site. If you just need the flash ability, you only need the first board. If you want to add the telemetry to the lcd screen on the transmitter, also get the second board.

They also have the case screw option which I also got so I don't risk stripping the threads out in the plastic. That consists of inserts and hex socket head machine screws to replace the stock screws. makes it easier to get inside in the future.

aidan284NZ

Thanks everyone for your help, I am going to flash the er9x FW going the diy way. I just have to wait for some pins so I can actually start and im not here next week either. Does anyone know how to programme the 3 pos switch with the er9x FW. Cant make sense of the stuff on the net.
Cheers