New Tundra rates and expo?

kdobson83

Ok, let me start off with saying I'm not new, and consider myself an intermediate flyer. I can do basic aerobatics like inverted and the such. I've built and flown 10+ FT and community designed planes. I've even upscaled a FT Spitfire.

I use a Spektrum dx8e and just bought my first store bought plane, the Hobby King Durafly Tundra. Haven't gotten it in the mail yet, and don't plan of flying it till spring. But my question is, to help on maiden, what are the recommended throws and expo with the Tundra? I'm assuming 50% throws with 30% expo? And I fly at my local park which has cruddy uneven grass. How easy are they to hand launch? I wanted the tundra for it's beafy landing gear to be able to land and take off at this park but plan to hand launch the first few batteries till I get the feel for this plane.

I ask because I am a tid bit nervous about the maiden. Took some doing to talk my wife into allowing the purchase and I don't wanna destroy it on the maiden... Lol

jack10525

Man I got no answers. I've had quite a few store bought planes in the 50-60" wingspan range. I've never used expo. I just make sure they cg is one point and flight control surfaces move the way I want. Then I head out to my secret field and let her rip. Get her up high and trim her out. I've had good luck with many planes out of the box that only needed minor trimming. The hardest part for me is landing. I seem to have better luck without wheels. Post up some pics and video if you can.

Bricks

Master member
I would go to Horizons web sight and download the programing for the Tundra get that installed into your radio and use there recommendations for settings..

jaredstrees

Do not hand launch this plane. Way too big. She will take off from the ground very easily. You don't even need to use the flaps if you don't want to and she'll slow down for landing just fine, or take off in ten ft.

I was nervous when I flew my Tundra the first time as well, but don't be. She's a peach and flies really nice. I started with 30% expo and about 70% rate. Currently I have 0 expo and full rates, and honestly wish there were more.

You'll be fine, if you can fly FT planes you'll be able to fly the Tundra with no problems. You can drop the rates on the rudder, but I wouldn't go below about 70 on the ailerons or elevator. Increase your expo instead, but I think 30% is enough. Good luck, if you have any other questions just holler. I've had mine just over a year and still like it. Soon she'll get more power and quicker servos, cause she really needs it. (or I'm crazy and just want her to fly more 3D!)

kdobson83

Do not hand launch this plane. Way too big. She will take off from the ground very easily. You don't even need to use the flaps if you don't want to and she'll slow down for landing just fine, or take off in ten ft.

I was nervous when I flew my Tundra the first time as well, but don't be. She's a peach and flies really nice. I started with 30% expo and about 70% rate. Currently I have 0 expo and full rates, and honestly wish there were more.

You'll be fine, if you can fly FT planes you'll be able to fly the Tundra with no problems. You can drop the rates on the rudder, but I wouldn't go below about 70 on the ailerons or elevator. Increase your expo instead, but I think 30% is enough. Good luck, if you have any other questions just holler. I've had mine just over a year and still like it. Soon she'll get more power and quicker servos, cause she really needs it. (or I'm crazy and just want her to fly more 3D!)
I've just got those new plane jitters. Plus I haven't flown all winter, between have two young kids, a needy wife, working overtime at work, and the weather, I haven't flown since October.... Ugh....
I do plan to make it out today and fly 3-4 packs on some of my FT planes, get rid of the cobwebs. Take the tundra out next time.

jaredstrees

You'll be fine. She really is a sweetheart. Start without the flaps until you're a little more used to her. I haven't flown much lately either, so I hear you about the jitters. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Stevo430687

Like it's been said, it's a great plane, takes off in less than a meter with half-flaps. Nice slow flier. This is my first store bought, large model too, I was full of nerves on the maiden also, however, no problems.

whackflyer

Master member
This is encouraging, I just got my tundra yesterday and recently finished assembly. Can’t wait to fly her, she’s only my second store bought plane. It looks like it’s supposed to get quiet this afternoon so we’ll see what happens🙂

kdobson83

Between work, kids, and wife, I haven't had a chance to fly it yet. Kids are going to Grandma's for the weekend AND the weather is supposed to be sunny, mid 70s, and calmish on Saturday. Ill be flying half my fleet! 😊 Just got my UMX timber a few days ago too! UGH, two FT planes to maiden too. 4 maidens in one day?... 😓

kdobson83

Hey Krusty:
How about a real challenge, Four maiden flights.... Four different places! Tough one, but can it be done?
There's plenty enough places to do it around here. Two flyable parks with in 10 minutes of my house, a church field I fly smaller stuff in next to my house, and a plethera of privately owned fields.

Out of all the planes I'm gonna maiden though, the FT Alpha on 4s scares me the most. I spent a lot of time in the off season beautifying it up, Id hate to krumple it all up... lol Guess if I do it'll be a good excuse to build something else

whackflyer

Master member
I maidened my Tundra. They RULE! Slow or fast, got gobs of power on 3s, goes anywhere on the ground, and then on top of that you get aerobatic capabilities! This is definitely my new favorite plane! @kdobson83, don't be scared about your alpha, I have a bravo with the tail fins modded to look like a alpha, and on 3s it's very easy to launch, and it flies like a charm. I think 4s would be great. With a 2204 on 3s, the power is marginal, so you'll be able to use those extra volts;)

kdobson83

I maidened my Tundra. They RULE! Slow or fast, got gobs of power on 3s, goes anywhere on the ground, and then on top of that you get aerobatic capabilities! This is definitely my new favorite plane! @kdobson83, don't be scared about your alpha, I have a bravo with the tail fins modded to look like a alpha, and on 3s it's very easy to launch, and it flies like a charm. I think 4s would be great. With a 2204 on 3s, the power is marginal, so you'll be able to use those extra volts;)
I'm running a 2204 on 4s with a 6x45 prop. Just doing some test spin ups while hold it is insane. I did a similar setup with an Arcpirates Eazy but a 5x4x3 prop on 4s and it was zero to full speed in 2 seconds. Insane speed/acceleration.
I guess the main thing that makes me nervous about the alpha is the small wingspan.

whackflyer

Master member
I forgot to tell you, I am running a 6030 prop, cuz that's all my 10a esc can handle. Sounds like that alpha will be a lot of fun!

kdobson83

Just maidened the tundra. WOW! This thing is awesome! It's super smooth, super stabile, and loads of power! Tried the flaps and it slows down to speed walking pace at half flap. The landing gear is amazing! Pretty much all my planes to this point have been belly landers save for 1 or 2 that had some weakish landing gear that were only good for landing on smoothish surfaces. But this tundra, I was doing touch and goes on park grass on the second flight. And that suspension! Takes away all the anxiety of roughish landings. I'm highly impressed. Didn't need a single click of trim.

Now all I gota do is program in a down elevator mix with the flaps. It balloons up pretty bad ATM. I'm running a dx8e. Any ideas of how to do this? And with the flaps having a 3second timer on them with the mix?

whackflyer

Master member
I have my flaps on a 2 second timer, with 15% down elevator at half, and 30% at full. It seems to be pretty spot-on, might need a slight bit more down, but it's a good place to start, I think it'll all come down to your preference. Tundra's are a ton of fun! Like you, I've only had a little landing gear experience, with weakish landing gear, and I love it! Happy flying fellow Tundy flyers!

kdobson83

I have my flaps on a 2 second timer, with 15% down elevator at half, and 30% at full. It seems to be pretty spot-on, might need a slight bit more down, but it's a good place to start, I think it'll all come down to your preference. Tundra's are a ton of fun! Like you, I've only had a little landing gear experience, with weakish landing gear, and I love it! Happy flying fellow Tundy flyers!
You wouldn't happen to know how to do the flap/elevator mix on Spektrum would you? I was playing around with it and was having trouble setting it up..

whackflyer

Master member
You may not have your wing type set correctly. Flaps will work with the wing type set to aileron only. Click the roller once to go to the function list, then scroll to the bottom and select system setup. Once in system setup scroll down to aircraft type, and under wing, select 1 Ail 1 Flap, since you’re using y harnesses on both. Then you should be set up correctly. Now go back to function list, and about half way down the list you will see the heading “Flap System”. Select it. My setup looks like this.

Pos 0: -100% 0%
Pos 1: 0% 15%
Pos 2: 75% 30%

My full down flap setting is not quite 90*, so you can do want you want with it. That’s how mines set up. Hope it helps!

kdobson83

You may not have your wing type set correctly. Flaps will work with the wing type set to aileron only. Click the roller once to go to the function list, then scroll to the bottom and select system setup. Once in system setup scroll down to aircraft type, and under wing, select 1 Ail 1 Flap, since you’re using y harnesses on both. Then you should be set up correctly. Now go back to function list, and about half way down the list you will see the heading “Flap System”. Select it. My setup looks like this.

My full down flap setting is not quite 90*, so you can do want you want with it. That’s how mines set up. Hope it helps!
Yeah, the setup I have it on now doesn't have a Flap system menu. Guess I'll have to look into this when I get a chance. Thanks for the info tho!!

kdobson83

Yup. Found that menu. Wow, can't believe I over looked that section. I'm new to Spektrum, I've used Flysky until about 8 months ago. Really have only flown this radio a couple dozen times.
Anyway, thanks again for the information!! Prime example of why I love this forum!