New Tundra rates and expo?

whackflyer

Master member
@kdobson83, is your Tundy still flying? I’ve abused the stew out of mine and she still flies like a dream. Now, I want it to go even slower, and looking at leading edge slats to do so. Has anyone tried it and how did they work? On any bush plane? I’ve looking at getting a set from the Timber and cutting them shorter to accommodate my smaller wingspan.

kdobson83

@kdobson83, is your Tundy still flying? I’ve abused the stew out of mine and she still flies like a dream. Now, I want it to go even slower, and looking at leading edge slats to do so. Has anyone tried it and how did they work? On any bush plane? I’ve looking at getting a set from the Timber and cutting them shorter to accommodate my smaller wingspan.
Yes, the tundra is still going strong. Still in mint condition too. After maiden I realized I needed full 100% rates. I don't get to fly it very much due to me having two kids and a needy wife but she's still going strong.
Haven't tried leading edge slats. I think it's slow enough for me. I've got a UMX Timber with slats on it for when I really need to go slow. Bought another canopy for the UMX Timber and attached a micro AIO camera/tx and fly it fpv. You think flying low and slow is fun, try it fpv! Lol

whackflyer

Master member
Yes, the tundra is still going strong. Still in mint condition too. After maiden I realized I needed full 100% rates. I don't get to fly it very much due to me having two kids and a needy wife but she's still going strong.
Haven't tried leading edge slats. I think it's slow enough for me. I've got a UMX Timber with slats on it for when I really need to go slow. Bought another canopy for the UMX Timber and attached a micro AIO camera/tx and fly it fpv. You think flying low and slow is fun, try it fpv! Lol
Great to hear. My tundy as I said before is very beat up, but still flies very nice. FPV on a bush plane would be great!

whackflyer

Master member
Once I was flying with some of my friends and was parked at the end of the runway we had painted in the grass. One of the friends sets up an approach from the opposite way and I warned him I was parked at the end and told him not to hit me. He keeps coming on the approach and floats too far down the runway till he's pretty much directly on top of my plane, then decides to go around. Too late. Just after he poured on the coals the wrath of a 12x6 prop on a Timber chewed into my right wing, taking out a big chunk. I picked up the pieces, took them inside, glued the wing back together and with a little foam filler and touch up paint, it was good to go!

whackflyer

Master member
I’ve been interested in the tundra. Not that they have the Timber X out though, I might have to go for that!
Join the clan! Tundras are a great all around plane. They also look a lot more scale than a timber x. I’d recommend you get the green one, as the color versions have heavier wheels and it makes the CG harder to attain. I’ve ran everything from a 1000 mah 3s to a 5000 mah 3s and it’ll fly with em all. I had the 1000 clear up against the firewall but with the 5000 there was still several inches of room behind the battery. For a lot more info check out this RCG thread. You’ll have to watch the hobbyking website because the only good time to buy a tundra is when they are in stock in the us warehouse. Otherwise shipping costs 2/3 as much as the plane.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Join the clan! Tundras are a great all around plane. They also look a lot more scale than a timber x. I’d recommend you get the green one, as the color versions have heavier wheels and it makes the CG harder to attain. I’ve ran everything from a 1000 mah 3s to a 5000 mah 3s and it’ll fly with em all. I had the 1000 clear up against the firewall but with the 5000 there was still several inches of room behind the battery. For a lot more info check out this RCG thread. You’ll have to watch the hobbyking website because the only good time to buy a tundra is when they are in stock in the us warehouse. Otherwise shipping costs 2/3 as much as the plane.
Oh boy - that is awesome! Did it fly kinda heavy and sluggish with the 5000 mah pack? Also, my batteries are mainly 25c and it says 30c minimum - would that be an issue?

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Just checked it out - with $50 more, I get free shipping - or else shipping is $90!!! Next time I do a HobbyKing run, I might toss this in the mix. The only rtf I’ve had is the champ, and I’ve been wanting a large plane that will look cooler and last a lot longer than a foam board plane will. I also ham wanting a bush plane, so the tundra fits all of those. Plus, it’s cheap - like half the price of a timber x. It even includes the floats!

whackflyer

Master member
Oh boy - that is awesome! Did it fly kinda heavy and sluggish with the 5000 mah pack? Also, my batteries are mainly 25c and it says 30c minimum - would that be an issue?
On the 5000s the main noticeable difference is slightly longer takeoff and landing but most noticeably landing. I wouldn't try a heavier battery than a 2200 until you get the feel of the plane and know it's limits somewhat. You can feel when it's on the brink of a stall once you've flown it a while. I have a friend that runs 25c batteries on his FMS Kingfisher, it's power system is much the same. The only difference you'll notice is slightly slower throttle response I believe. Just check your batteries for excessive heat or swelling when you come down. I highly doubt they will give you problems but always good to check and be safe.

Dumont

Just checked it out - with $50 more, I get free shipping - or else shipping is $90!!! Next time I do a HobbyKing run, I might toss this in the mix. The only rtf I’ve had is the champ, and I’ve been wanting a large plane that will look cooler and last a lot longer than a foam board plane will. I also ham wanting a bush plane, so the tundra fits all of those. Plus, it’s cheap - like half the price of a timber x. It even includes the floats!

Let us know if you indeed get the free shipping. I had it in my cart last week and I believe that from the Global warehouse at least that this is one of the items exempt from the free shipping promotion sadly. It makes that cheaper price a bit less so when that $90 is added in.

whackflyer

Master member
Beware that if you order from china it may come on the slow boat and take quite a while.

whackflyer

Master member
Let us know if you indeed get the free shipping. I had it in my cart last week and I believe that from the Global warehouse at least that this is one of the items exempt from the free shipping promotion sadly. It makes that cheaper price a bit less so when that $90 is added in.
That is true. I believe larger items such as planes that come from the China warehouse are not included in the free shipping promotion. Oh, and welcome to the forums @Dumont!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Good to know. When I looked on the h-king website it did’t look like there was even an option to ship in the USA. And I couldn’t find it anywhere on eBay or amazon

IanSR

Once I was flying with some of my friends and was parked at the end of the runway we had painted in the grass. One of the friends sets up an approach from the opposite way and I warned him I was parked at the end and told him not to hit me. He keeps coming on the approach and floats too far down the runway till he's pretty much directly on top of my plane, then decides to go around. Too late. Just after he poured on the coals the wrath of a 12x6 prop on a Timber chewed into my right wing, taking out a big chunk. I picked up the pieces, took them inside, glued the wing back together and with a little foam filler and touch up paint, it was good to go!

That's nothing lol, mine came home a few weeks ago in seven pieces, a bottle of gorilla glue and several pins later it was back together and flying again two days later hahaha.

whackflyer

Master member
Good to know. When I looked on the h-king website it did’t look like there was even an option to ship in the USA. And I couldn’t find it anywhere on eBay or amazon
That's right. You've gotta keep watching the H-king website. Every month or two they'll come back in stock in the US warehouse and that's when to buy. Even tho they were released in 2015 they're still a hot item! There's a reason people want them!

whackflyer

Master member
That's nothing lol, mine came home a few weeks ago in seven pieces, a bottle of gorilla glue and several pins later it was back together and flying again two days later hahaha.
Pictures? I once came out of a attempted snap roll too low and hit the ground at about a 30 degree angle with the right wing low. Tore the whole landing gear bracket and the foam around it out of the fuse, and kinda compressed the foam between the wing and the tail in the fuse. The wingtip had impacted the ground so hard that it had bent up and the end 3 inches or so of the spar were sticking out. All my hinges have also been broken at some time or another and fortified using the high tech method of putting packing tape over the hinge lol. I also have bent new landing gear wire twice.

IanSR

Pictures? I once came out of a attempted snap roll too low and hit the ground at about a 30 degree angle with the right wing low. Tore the whole landing gear bracket and the foam around it out of the fuse, and kinda compressed the foam between the wing and the tail in the fuse. The wingtip had impacted the ground so hard that it had bent up and the end 3 inches or so of the spar were sticking out. All my hinges have also been broken at some time or another and fortified using the high tech method of putting packing tape over the hinge lol. I also have bent new landing gear wire twice.

Don't have any pics I'm afraid but I do have video of the unscheduled disassembly (this is after we almost had a head on around the 2 minute mark too lol)...

What you can't see is the left wing had a huge chunk out of it (where it hit the cable) and is snapped just passed the spar end, the fuse is cut off at the leading edge, and again about four inches forward of the tail it's cut, the other wing was broken too, but all glued back together, all the damage bar the dent in the wing strut and chunk out the wing was done when it hit the ground.

As you can also see from the thumbnail, I had pulled the landing gear and the foam around it out the previous week too.

It's quiet a place where we fly, you don't take anything you are fond of as chances are it won't be going home in one piece.