New twin bomber

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
http://andrerousseau.wordpress.com/2013/12/08/ajr-48-falcon-ready/

This thing looks awesome. I'm actually excited to see if it flies as well as the single engine slim version did.
1300g with 2 batteries, gopro, extra RX and cargo pod.

img_7940.jpg

img_7938.jpg

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Looking forward to a test flight this week. Weather permitting.
Then I'm going to build a FT Spitfire because I only got in 1 flight this weekend.
I was training someone using my little tiger-moth and they managed to knocked off a wing.

I can now see why people at my friend have 2-3 planes in the mix.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I can now see why people at my friend have 2-3 planes in the mix.

NEVER go to the field with just one plane!!!!

Well, Ok if you've got just one, go with what you got, but always bring a backup or two . . . or four . . .

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Hah I've slowly built up my supplies and batteries.
Great thing about these modern radios is it is so cheap to buy another receiver.

Also learning things about keeping a "winter beater" plane happy.
-Less packing tape, minwax, flat bottoms, fixed wings, no rubber bands on wings, small enough to fit in the trunk of the car, easier access to batteries and so on.

My main focus for this hobby has been father and son fun. Turns out I managed to hook 3 generations.
My dad and my son.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
She's all set. Will try for a test flight this week. Can't wait till the days start getting longer again.

Adjusted the cargo door so it opens wider, then put the wing on.

Basically this is my YC-14 on a massive diet so it should go very well. At least that is the theory.

DDSFlyer

I've been really liking the way your plane has been evolving. It takes a lot of ingenuity to get from one phase to another the way you've done it. I've just started from scratch when I crash but you've been able to salvage and improve upon your designs. I really like the bomb drops you've been building and may need to make a bomber myself. I love the way the twin engine planes sound in flight (I have a scratch build FT Cruiser) so I may look into making a bomber in the future with the power pods from the cruiser. Looking forward to seeing the footage from the next flight!

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
THANKS!

The only reason I've not done the power pods on the twin planes is the wiring for the ESC is a little different so removing everything never made sense. The Spit will be a power pod plane. A friend passed me 2 of them so I simple have to try.

The evolution of design has been a spinoff benefit of scratch building. Just love a good challenge.
I was offered a used WWII bird at the flying field this weekend. Gave it about 30 seconds of through but declined.
For $60 I can build a complete scratch build including all the parts (new) so I'll keep going this way.
It does take time but I think I'm having way to much fun.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
No test flights this weekend due to extreme weather conditions.
IMG_4225.PNG

So I'm in the middle of making a custom Cub to start training my 7 yr old son to fly with.
It will also double as my winter fun flyer as well.

No direct plans more a combo of several planes I've seen and liked.

Again I'm using the FT Spitfire as the template.
- Wings from the B-25 spec'd out to 48" span but increased dihedral.
- 30" body, double walled at the front/mid sections to max strength and poster board on the top/bottom of the tail section.
- 5" tall on the body 2.25" width. I may expand that out for the go pro.
- Skis or big wheels naturally.

Should be interesting. My Son's only request. Green
5129725109_fa3ca36d79_z.jpg

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
All better again.

http://andrerousseau.wordpress.com/2013/12/15/the-falcon-flies/

The damage was contained to the nose of the plane.
So when I rebuild the nose section I tried to improve the design.
img_4252.jpg

New vs old.
I doubled the top and bottom sections with extra foam.
img_4253.jpg

Also removed the tape and used a rubber band to close the nose.
img_4255.jpg

I also improved the visibility for the camera. Needed to re-glue one of the motor mounts.

Ready to try this again but this time I'll avoid the super tight radius turns and if I do try that test again try and be higher up so I have chance.

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It's possible that you did a high speed stall if you were moving pretty good. It didn't look like you were moving that fast in the video, but that can be deceiving in onboard footage. Was it close to stall speed when it spun?

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
No I had picked the speed up but was in a tight bank.
To me my first reaction was something had failed but all the controls checked out.

A few people seemed to think it was a tail stall.

Really wish I had a 2nd camera external.

That said looking over the footage again I was banking at nearly 90 degrees.
Pilot error.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
If you were pulling hard, it was probably a tip stall, but induced by too much elevator. Seen it a lot with elliptical wings and warbirds in general with too much throw at speed. Pop full elevator and the wing stops flying, then boom! I'd just be careful with the throws to full deflection down low with her.

One way to see if it was the same thing is if you have a sim, select a 3D plane that has ridiculous throws on it. Take it just straight and level at 3/4 to full throttle and pop full up and hold it. Most of them will do the same tip stall/spin that it looked like in the video. Just what happens when the wing hits too high an angle of attack and stops generating lift. I can't say that's what happened for sure because it was onboard footage, just saying what it looked like from this side of the screen...

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Yeah I looked over the video and that is what happened. I more or less was in a 90 degree bank, a few turns would have been fun but I was pulling in tighter and tighter…

More testing this weekend.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin

Tip stall got me again. No harm dusted her off and went up again.

IMG_4288.jpg IMG_4287.jpg

I do like the nose view.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hunting mice?

Just reminds me of this:

If you haven't named the airframe yet, leaping fox would be appropriate ;)

DDSFlyer

Seems like both crashes you slowed down a bunch and decided to crank the turn a little too much. That's some great flight time, what size battery are you running?

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I also think the servo arm hole locations are on the high side.

I will continue to tweak the plane but I think cub is my new fav ;)