New twin bomber

Flynn

" it's like you know your perspective's $&@, you just gotta work the controls as if your sober"

Great flick, yeah I'm old.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Interesting email this morning.

Someone recommended I add 3 degrees up of up on the ailerons to combat the tip stall issue.

I'll have to break out the calliper and try that.

Also need to paint the body! Was very hard to see.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Pontoons!

12" long, 3" tall at the front and 2" at the back.
Hoping they are strong enough. We shall see.

IMG_8284.jpg IMG_8272.jpg IMG_8279.jpg IMG_8285.jpg IMG_8287.jpg

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Oh I discovered something. The aileron and elevator servo con-rod links were all on the outer hole #2!
I've not moved them to #3 from the screw.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
This wing and I are not meant to be.
While flying into a strong wind I lost air speed and down she went.

I'm retiring this plane in favour of something a little bigger to handle the FPV gear and land/take off in extreme snow.

The pontoons worked out for take off but naturally did not handle the crash well.

Video is coming shortly.

IMG_8294.JPG

IMG_8295.JPG

IMG_8296.JPG

IMG_8297.JPG

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Neat design but I am going to build a CL-415 water bomber so I can deal with all this snow.

There is nothing wrong with the plane per say I'm just tried of the tip stall issue so I'll remove all the servos and move onto the next project.

The Trainer flew well today. So that was nice.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I'm wondering why it's tip stalling like that unless like you said, it's overloaded. The undercambered tips should help prevent the tip stalls but they evidently haven't helped in this case...

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Should have plenty of go and the body is very light. 1300g with 2 motors, batteries and go pro.

I do have dihedral but just no luck with this setup.

Which is to bad.

On to better things. I miss my YC-14 but that is no winter plane.

Andre.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Well look at that.

Revision # oh I've lost count.

It was suggested the small rudder could be adding to the issue.
So I removed it and installed something about twice the size.
It is static. I'm now using differential trust to steer.

IMG_8299.JPG

I then made a haul that is 2" tall at the front, 2.75" wide and 12" long.
Just enough to get the props off the ground.

IMG_8302.JPG

I was even able to recycle the pontoons! Still need to work in securing them in nicely.
One loosened up during the first test.

IMG_8303.JPG

New nose and lower haul section.

IMG_8307.JPG

The 10x7's scrubbed the snow/road too much so I put on the 9x5's. I have some 8x4's coming in as well.
The 9x5's worked but I will still raise the motors to the top of the wing like the CL-415 just to make sure I can clear the snow if its deep.

IMG_8310.JPG

BTW differential thrust steering is a hoot.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin

The diff thrust was done with the stock 9X I will be updating that once the usb thing comes in.
The beeping is driving my wife nuts :)

9x5 props.
IMG_8318.JPG

Mounted as close to the body as possible.
IMG_8322.JPG

3" pods ensure the motors/props will clear all the snow.
IMG_8324.JPG

I'm just laughing at how many revisions this wing has lived through.
IMG_8327.JPG

With the additional foam and change in CG I had to remove one of the 3S's to get it balance out.
That is to bad but lets face it. Winter flying is not fun if you stand still for 10+ mins.

alibopo

Ouch! Was it a failure on landing due to the pressure from the undercarriage, or a failure in flight? Hopefully without sounding cruel - with the wing off you now have easy access to insert a couple of balsa/dowel/??? reinforcing spars to span the motor/undercarriage mounts. That would take a lot of the pressure away from the wing root. Shame to lose such a creative build over a small hitch like losing a wing. Get that glue gun fired up!

OOPss... This comment applies at the start of the thread with the mid-wing version and the picture with the wing damage - I didn't spot you'd moved on from that with this snow capable version :) Nice wing repair!

Last edited:

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
To be honest the wing designed by David is freaking rugged. So yeah will be testing the snow plane shortly.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Very pleases that there were no still issues in today's flight.

Means the concept works and I'll build on this idea.