• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

New Twin Warbird

-2x 2200 MaH batteries in engine pods
-2x Turnigy D2836/8 1100KV motors
-2x Basic 40A ESC
-2x 10x5 master airscrew props
-3x 9g HK Servos
-1x Orange 6ch receiver

Looking at the specs on Hk the motor is only supposed to draw 18amps max

Spec.
Battery: 2~4 Cell /7.4~14.8V
RPM: 1100kv
Max current: 18A
No load current: 1A
Max power: 336W
Internal resistance: 0.107 ohm
Weight: 70g (including connectors)
Diameter of shaft: 4mm
Dimensions: 28x36m
Prop size: 7.4V/11x7 14.85V/7x3
Max thrust: 1130g

What cell count you using ? I wonder if its a combination of incompatible cell count/prop size and your drawing to much power?
For example 4s swinging a 10x5 prop??

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
-2x 2200 MaH batteries in engine pods
-2x Turnigy D2836/8 1100KV motors
-2x Basic 40A ESC
-2x 10x5 master airscrew props
-3x 9g HK Servos
-1x Orange 6ch receiver

Looking at the specs on Hk the motor is only supposed to draw 18amps max

Spec.
Battery: 2~4 Cell /7.4~14.8V
RPM: 1100kv
Max current: 18A
No load current: 1A
Max power: 336W
Internal resistance: 0.107 ohm
Weight: 70g (including connectors)
Diameter of shaft: 4mm
Dimensions: 28x36m
Prop size: 7.4V/11x7 14.85V/7x3
Max thrust: 1130g

What cell count you using ? I wonder if its a combination of incompatible cell count/prop size and your drawing to much power?
For example 4s swinging a 10x5 prop??
I'm using two 3 cells. That's weird then. I will get my watt meter on it though to do some testing. It is a great investment I agree!

I can't remember the name of it but in a FT video they explained about aerials lining up and causing signal loss??
Could it be something like that? but definitely check all the loads with your watt meter (including servos) but I doubt 9gs will cause that much drain, also as its a twin, are you no supposed to remove one of the red wires to the receiver? I did read somewhere that sometimes
the system doesn't like having both bec's connected.
Anyway hope you solve it soon and post plans :p

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
I can't remember the name of it but in a FT video they explained about aerials lining up and causing signal loss??
Could it be something like that? but definitely check all the loads with your watt meter (including servos) but I doubt 9gs will cause that much drain, also as its a twin, are you no supposed to remove one of the red wires to the receiver? I did read somewhere that sometimes
the system doesn't like having both bec's connected.
Anyway hope you solve it soon and post plans :p
Could be that. Thanks for the suggestion :)

New video made before the crash:

I must confess I did laugh at your crash video.. sorry but on a positive note maybe someone
would be able to listen to the sound and possibly help diagnose what went wrong.
I love the way you have designed your cockpit and camera placement.
If I ever get to design/build a BV141 I will be stealing your idea for the pilot pod :)

Ps did you check battery voltages after crash?

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
I must confess I did laugh at your crash video.. sorry but on a positive note maybe someone
would be able to listen to the sound and possibly help diagnose what went wrong.
I love the way you have designed your cockpit and camera placement.
If I ever get to design/build a BV141 I will be stealing your idea for the pilot pod :)

Ps did you check battery voltages after crash?
Haha it's okay! I meant for people to laugh. It is only a bit of crushed foam board after all.

Yeah that's an idea. Maybe someone will be able to offer an explanation to why this happened if it's similar to something they've seen or experienced first hand.

I'm glad I've inspired you :)

That's what I love about building out of foamboard, so quick, easy and cheap to fix.... would be nice if the rest of the world had DTFB
be even cheaper £0.65 is a lot better than £3.99 I'm having to pay :)

Will you be improving your camera fixing as well, the way your camera spun was hilarious but I don't think its something you want to repeat :)

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
That's what I love about building out of foamboard, so quick, easy and cheap to fix.... would be nice if the rest of the world had DTFB
be even cheaper £0.65 is a lot better than £3.99 I'm having to pay :)

Will you be improving your camera fixing as well, the way your camera spun was hilarious but I don't think its something you want to repeat :)
Yeah that's so true. I would love it to be cheaper here. Hopefully if FT Foam finally gets to the UK then that may be cheaper that £3.99 per sheet, inc shipping costs.

Hopefully the camera fitting will be a bit stronger! It wasn't too bad with the camera in the impact because the foam acted as a crumple zone and the grass was soft. If it had hit rocks or concrete it wouldn't have been good though! Hopefully I will be able to build a simple pan mechanism into it this time. I was thinking about replacing the GoPro with a Mobius actually as it is smaller and you can get a video lead to transmit the video straight from that without worrying about GoPro issues like software blackouts. What do you think? They are about £50 I think.

I've been looking at cameras/fpv and its a minefield, GoPro is too expensive for my tastes,
Mobius C is the one I've been looking at it comes with a wide angle lens.
The sj4000 type are also an option but I think the Mobius still wins out.
Finding it hard to find a 'uk legal' transmitter though, what system do you use 2.4 or 5.8?

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
I've been looking at cameras/fpv and its a minefield, GoPro is too expensive for my tastes,
Mobius C is the one I've been looking at it comes with a wide angle lens.
The sj4000 type are also an option but I think the Mobius still wins out.
Finding it hard to find a 'uk legal' transmitter though, what system do you use 2.4 or 5.8?
I use 5.8 with the Predator V2's. They are really good actually. http://www.fatshark.com/product/1719.html

Yeah I think i'll get myself a Mobius :)

your videos are great.

the alarms and "pull up" warnings in the crash video, did you add those in post or do you actually have real time alarms working IN the plane?

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
your videos are great.

the alarms and "pull up" warnings in the crash video, did you add those in post or do you actually have real time alarms working IN the plane?
Thanks man. Be sure to subscribe to see my new ones! Haha no I put them on the video in post. That would be pretty cool to do that though.

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Stage 2 - Rebirth

Okay so I've gotten round to fixing the Warbird now. I'm going for a new theme to give it a fresh feel.

So I was thinking I'd do a sort of german bomber type of vibe. Something like a Do 17 - even though that was nicknamed 'the flying pencil', and this plane is more like a brick than a pencil. It clearly needs to go on a diet.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-341-0456-04,_Frankreich,_Flugzeuge_Dornier_Do_17.jpg

So I made the engines more radial and redesigned a new front end.

IMG_6258.jpg

IMG_6261.jpg

IMG_6263.jpg

IMG_6264.jpg

Probably going to add a gunner turret behind the cockpit and some mock machine guns in the front.

Last edited: