New Twin Warbird

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to know what you think of my new Twin FPV Warbird. It flies super nice.

Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 22.45.18.png

Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 22.45.27.png

IMG_4969.jpg

IMG_4992.jpg

IMG_5014.jpg

I also fitted it with a GoPro in the cockpit and am currently fitting the FPV gear. The plan is to fly around the village and go on missions to hills across the valley, perhaps landing over there or dropping parcels. :)

Tell me what you think!

Last edited:

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
James,
That bird is really cool! Did you design it? Tell us a little more about it (specs, power system, etc.).

Last edited:

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Thanks guys, I'm glad you think it looks good!

The flight video will be up soon. I'm at university for the next week though so I can't do anything until then! Here are a few photos from a test flight with the GoPro though to keep you going.

screen-shot-2015-04-26-at-14-18-17-png_1430056842.jpg

screen-shot-2015-04-26-at-15-00-02-png_1430056857.jpg

screen-shot-2015-04-26-at-18-03-43-png_1430067978.jpg

As far as specs go:

-2x 2200 MaH batteries in engine pods
-2x Turnigy D2836/8 1100KV motors
-2x Basic 40A ESC
-2x 10x5 master airscrew props
-3x 9g HK Servos
-1x Orange 6ch receiver

The plane has only 'bank and yank' control at the moment, but I would like to do differential thrust at some point. Apparently to use a Spectrum DX6i you need some little electronic module from Hobbyking (can't remember what its called). If anyone else has done differential thrust on a DX6i, please let me know how you did it! :)

Last edited:

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Oh and about the design:

It's all my own design. It is pretty simple though. Just a boxy fuselage and simple wings with under-cambered wingtips. There is no rudder control. I wanted it to be robust and chunky to withstand transport etc. You can stand it on it's nose, or on its tail to work on it or store it. The nose is also semi detachable for crashes as I found out with my maiden flight.

I fixed it pretty quickly so all is fine.

Before:

IMG_4925.jpg

After:

IMG_4926.jpg

Some more shots of the plane out in the open.

Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 14.28.09.png

Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 14.28.29.png

Stape

Hey brother, that's a great looking plane! I want to weigh in on the differential thrust for your DX6i though. You DO NOT need anything other than a spare channel on your RX. I've programmed diff thrust on the DX6i and the DX6, both worked great. It will require some tuning but here's the basics...

Plug one ESC into the THROTTLE channel
Remove the RED wire/pin from the second ESC RX plug and plug in to the aux channel
In your TX go to the MIXING menu
Mix the AUX channel to the THROTTLE channel 100%
Mix the THROTTLE channel to the RUDDER, start at 25%
Mix the AUX channel to the RUDDER, start at 25%
Use the Reverse function if needed on the AUX channel if that engine starts running when the stick is at zero throttle

Tuning-

Give it enough throttle to get the engines spinning. Use the OFFSET function to get them spinning at the same home. Check that the TRAVEL of both channels is roughly equal (hold the plane for that!). Now, with the engines running at low throttle, check that the right engine speeds up with left rudder a menu to get them spinning at the same time and vice versa. If either is not working correctly with the rudder input, use the RATE function to reverse it by changing 25% to -25% on BOTH rates on that channel(you can adjust this value to your liking later). Once you have the engines coupled to the rudder correctly, you may need to adjust the rates, offset, and travel slightly to have equal power at full throttle and equal power left and right, but this should get you in the ballpark.

Sorry for the long explanation but the first time I went through figuring this out it was miserable and took forever. If anything needs clarification let me know. Maybe I can borrow my old DX6i back from my brother and take pictures of the process if need be. I once programmed this on a friend's TX at the field in about 5 minutes though so it shouldn't be too bad. Good luck man!

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Hey brother, that's a great looking plane! I want to weigh in on the differential thrust for your DX6i though. You DO NOT need anything other than a spare channel on your RX. I've programmed diff thrust on the DX6i and the DX6, both worked great. It will require some tuning but here's the basics...

Remove the RED wire/pin from the second ESC RX plug and plug in to the aux channel
Use the Reverse function if needed on the AUX channel if that engine starts running when the stick is at zero throttle

Tuning-

Give it enough throttle to get the engines spinning. Use the OFFSET function to get them spinning at the same home. Check that the TRAVEL of both channels is roughly equal (hold the plane for that!). Now, with the engines running at low throttle, check that the right engine speeds up with left rudder a menu to get them spinning at the same time and vice versa. If either is not working correctly with the rudder input, use the RATE function to reverse it by changing 25% to -25% on BOTH rates on that channel(you can adjust this value to your liking later). Once you have the engines coupled to the rudder correctly, you may need to adjust the rates, offset, and travel slightly to have equal power at full throttle and equal power left and right, but this should get you in the ballpark.

Sorry for the long explanation but the first time I went through figuring this out it was miserable and took forever. If anything needs clarification let me know. Maybe I can borrow my old DX6i back from my brother and take pictures of the process if need be. I once programmed this on a friend's TX at the field in about 5 minutes though so it shouldn't be too bad. Good luck man!

Hi man, thanks for such a detailed and thorough explanation!! It's really very decent of you to go over it for me.

I will attempt to set up my DX6i and wire up my esc's and rx when I get home next weekend (I'm at university at the moment). I will be sure to let you know how I get on!

Thanks again! :)

Last edited:
Stape!!!
thank you for that tutorial!
I thought my Dx6i couldn't be programed that easily,this will help me with my 200% versa.

James, that design is the perfect work horse,and it looks GREAT!
put some plans up.

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Stape!!!
thank you for that tutorial!
I thought my Dx6i couldn't be programed that easily,this will help me with my 200% versa.

James, that design is the perfect work horse,and it looks GREAT!
put some plans up.

Thanks man! That means a lot. My aim was to build a great workhorse. :)

Here are some more photos - I like threads with lots of images to make it interesting.

Screen Shot 2015-05-18 at 14.01.44.png

IMG_5017.jpg

IMG_5019.jpg

Now this last one is something a bit different.

I had the idea, from flitetest using rockets on their planes, that I could possibly install some sort of air to ground rockets on the plane, a bit like they did with Soviet dive bombers in the war. Now I'm not sure how the authorities would feel about this, but... if I'm allowed to do, I'm gonna have a crack at it. Before I was building planes, I used to build rockets, so really I'm combining the two. Thought it would be cool to build a reliable system where I can fire rockets from a plane in FPV. :) I guess it's really just an experiment to test my ability to make cool stuff! :)

IMG_4998.jpg

I tested this rocket and it flew fine, so all that I need to do is make some sort of electro mechanical switch with a servo to send a current to the igniters. I think that should work.

Please be free to point out that I can't do this because its against the UK BMFA or anything. Someone has probably had this idea before. I obviously won't make this if it isn't allowed. :)

Cheers!

jgomes

Hey man that sounds good! So how does that work? You just plug the Brushed ESC into an auxiliary port or like a flaps channel? Thanks for the advice.

Exactly right. honestly it couldn't be easier. I do use a separate battery https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=20654 Just for the ignition system. I've always just taken Nichrome wire and wrapped that around the fuse. But I dont see any reason why it would not have the umph to set off an actual igniter.

LooseBruce

Tuning-

Thank you for this explanation. I use a DX6i for differential thrust but I use the V-Tail mixer. It is only a couple of bucks. I thought the problem with the DX6i is there are only 2 mixes. Don't you need three for this setup??
Thanks, LooseBruce:confused:

LooseBruce

Tuning-

Thank you for this explanation. I use a DX6i for differential thrust but I use the V-Tail mixer. It is only a couple of bucks. I thought the problem with the DX6i is there are only 2 mixes. Don't you need three for this setup??
Thanks, LooseBruce

Stape

Thanks, LooseBruce

Yes, this requires three mixes. That said, I have programmed differential thrust on a DX6i for a B-25 before, so I know it can be done. I wasn't aware of the DX6i only having two mixers, but I don't have one in front of me either (gave it to my brother when I got my DX6). Either way, I did it using the method I outlined best I can remember. If anyone wants to take a crack at it and let me know of any snags I'll be happy to help work out the kinks!

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Thanks, LooseBruce

Yeah I have heard that you need two mixes too when watching youtube tutorials. Could you possibly explain your way of using a V-Tail mixer? If it's not that expensive, I may just buy one just incase the other method doesn't work for some reason. If I don't use it, It may come in useful for a V tail plane in the future haha.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
plug the RX's throttle channel into the mixer's elevator input and the RX's rudder into the rudder input.

When the throttle is at minimum, both outputs from the mixer go to minimum, when the throttle goes to maximum, both outputs go to maximum. When the rudder is slipped left and right the outputs are adjusted up/down in opposition to each other -- there's your differential.

If you plug everything in and your motor differential runs opposite of the rudder, swap the two outputs.

*BE ADVISED* your motors *CAN* kick on with throttle at minimum but rudder off-center. it's probably best to burn the DX6i's two mixes to cancel out the throttle and rudder, assigned to the same switch as a safety.