New user says Hi ... and Kraken pusher build

Hi there...
I have been watching the vids of the psycho rc guys aka FT crew for a while...
Tons of passion, laughters and knowledge right there... very inspiring...
So i decided to dig a little bit deeper into the rabbit hole and last week I downloaded the tiled plan of the Kraken... (thanks so much for making these available by the way)...
64 pages and 2 pounds of scotch tape later I started my build (dollar tree is across my street)... the cashier looked at me with a strange face when i answered his question of what i was gonna do with these 10 boards... a 2m. Flying wing why ? I think he thinks i was pulling his leg... I'm gonna have to show him the finished product...
Anyways at the end of the week end I'm virtually done with my build... I was looking for someone who mod the Kraken into a pusher and I found just that on youtoube... Maiden flight is scheduled for this week end if this mother f"*%×er hurricane is willing to leave us alone (I'm in NC) ... anyways thanks again for all what y'all doin' you are good human beings...
20181009_204140.jpg

JTarmstr

Elite member
Welcome to the forums! Yeah, the local dollar general cashier thinks I am pretty crazy but since foamboard sales are probably up 200% there they put up with me.

Welcome and congrats on the build! Looking forward to an update after your maiden!
Thanks Mode 1... Mode 1 ? Are you really mode 1 ? :) ... coming from France I thought i was really the only Mode 1 in this country ;)... everybody around me is like what you mean throttle on the right... and I'm like dudes you shift gears with your right hand not your left...oh wait y'all drive only automatics bunch of school girls :)

Mode 1

Thanks Mode 1... Mode 1 ? Are you really mode 1 ?:) ... coming from France I thought i was really the only Mode 1 in this country ;)... everybody around me is like what you mean throttle on the right... and I'm like dudes you shift gears with your right hand not your left...oh wait y'all drive only automatics bunch of school girls :)

Frenchie - Yes. my father raised me right.... He raised me to fly Mode 1 :)

So.. I guess that makes two of us.. Cheers!

kilroy07

Legendary member
I JUST finished my first Kraken build as well (The thing is a monster isn't it?!)
Haven't maidened yet... standard build, but I too was wondering about a pusher version (actually this version will probably be a testbed for all sorts of crazy ideas I have for it!)

Are you thinking a single motor? That will probably work as I have a twin setup with 2220s and it wants to leap out of my hands at 1/4 throttle...

Will be watching with anticipation, Good luck and keep us posted!! (y)(y)

I JUST finished my first Kraken build as well (The thing is a monster isn't it?!)
Haven't maidened yet... standard build, but I too was wondering about a pusher version (actually this version will probably be a testbed for all sorts of crazy ideas I have for it!)

Are you thinking a single motor? That will probably work as I have a twin setup with 2220s and it wants to leap out of my hands at 1/4 throttle...

Will be watching with anticipation, Good luck and keep us posted!! (y)(y)

Hi there... thanks man...
Yes single motor pusher... there's a guy who did a vid on youtube of his Kraken mod... easy to find out... keywords ft kraken pusher.. it pops right out...on top of it he built a kinda flying chariot that he drags with the kraken... never seen that before very i teresting view and concept...
We are right in the middle of the hurricane fall out so it should be clear this week end for the maiden flight...

Small update...
. Clear coat so it would waterproof the Kraken : done (have you guys experienced what happens with our dollar tree foam board when in contact with humidity ? I left a panel on my patio
20181012_210153.jpg
the other night... the next morning it looked like a potato chip
. Leading edge accent so I can see if I'm coming or going : done
. Redneck motor chassis : done

Now to put all this together... I WILL maiden this week end 😁

Keno

Excellent, The advice I can give is, don't do that. Water moisture and white foam board will result in warping. Not sure how you coated it. You may chose brown board but brown is brown and can be an issue to some. Brown board has a waxy coating and needs to be lightly sanded before coating with paint, sealants or a primer and if you do not it none of these coating will adhere properly. White board on the other hand in high humidity needs to be sealed or as you experienced, surface distortion and can result in delamination of paper to foam. On this forum you can find many ways and ideas that can help you. I would like to give you and send you to some particular threads but there are so many that it is difficult. You have a great day and I admirer your build and efforts.

Last edited:
Progress of the day :
. Made a base plate for the motor... so i could adjust the angle thrust
. Hook and loop strap x2 around the motor chassis and through the wing and the base plate... tested the motor full throttle... didnt move a hair... on the other hand the Kraken REALLY wants to fly
. Made some fancy servo and linkage protection out of plastic bottles
20181013_164809.jpg
20181013_164701.jpg
20181013_164724.jpg

Arcfyre

Elite member
Would it not have been easier to put the servos on the upper part of the wing? Then you don't need to worry about damaging them when landing.

Would it not have been easier to put the servos on the upper part of the wing? Then you don't need to worry about damaging them when landing.
You're absolutely right... 😊... but i was following josh and josh build video before i figured i was gonna do mostly belly landings 😊

MAIDEN FLIGHT WENT SUPER WELL............. the 25 first seconds 🤣

You know what's a major reason for pilots to crash ? (rc pilots and scale 1 pilots alike...)
IT'S BECAUSE THEY'RE MORE STUBBORN THAN A F.....G PACK OF MULES...
Perfect example: me yesterday !
Conditions were not perfect but i still didn't let go...
#1 I was alone to launch the plane... when it's a first time flying one that ain't a good idea... but I didn't care...
#2 6:30 pm light condition no bueno... but I didn't care
#3 I was in a rush cuz i had to be somewhere at 7:15 ... but i didn't care
So I threw the Kraken a 1st time... flew 10 ft ... nose dive in the grass... no damages... or so i thought... but as i said above... no good light... in a rush = looking for troubles... so what I didn't see was that one of the aileron linkage went bye bye...
2nd launch (because I'm stubborn as f....) ... full throttle ...
IT FLIES YAAAAAAY ... but it turns left and left and more left and really not responding to my right orders... more left ... I'm gonna end up on the highway... cut the throttle... spin... crash..
Well i got what I deserved 😁...
I must say I'm pretty impressed with the sturdiness of the thing... it's fixable
Cheers (don't be stubborn like me )
20181015_163824.jpg
20181015_163845.jpg

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Thanks Mode 1... Mode 1 ? Are you really mode 1 ? :) ... coming from France I thought i was really the only Mode 1 in this country ;)... everybody around me is like what you mean throttle on the right... and I'm like dudes you shift gears with your right hand not your left...oh wait y'all drive only automatics bunch of school girls :)

Hey now...I consider my manual transmission to be a theft deterrent! :) That said, after driving a heavy race clutch in Los Angeles stop n' go traffic where you move 5 miles in an hour, I'm REALLY contemplating an automatic or a "manumatic" transmission like what's popular in the BMWs these days...My left knee isn't what it used to be.

I tried to fly a mode 1, and I couldn't do it...Maybe it's because I grew up driving RC cars with them all Mode 2, back in the day before cars all went to a pistol grip throttle and steering wheel. I can see where the appeal is, just INCREDIBLY hard to retrain my brain.