New with lots of questions

zoeyboots

Hi,
I am very new to the hobby and RC in general but have had an awesome time building, flying and mostly crashing with my son. We bought a mini timber and have been having a ton of fun learning. However, I havent had as much luck with some of the FT builds. I know I still have much to learn and was hoping to start that here. I think my build(s) are good but it's the control side where I am having issues. For FT builds, is there a recommended expo and rates we should be starting with? Apologies if this was already asked. I have searched threads and forums without luck.

In addition, is there any reason there arent many B-1 builds out there? I know i wont be much of a B-1 pilot but have always been enamored with the aircraft and I am not looking to build and fly a B-1 soon but was curious if it was something feasible. I understand anything is possible but havent seen much in the way of B-1 builds in all my searches.

sundown57

Legendary member
It took me a long time to learn the importance of throws and expo but once I did things got a lot better real fast. I learned that some transmitters work backward so before I advise I need to ask what transmitter you are using. Also, welcome to the family its a great place to learn and have fun.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
For FT builds, is there a recommended expo and rates we should be starting with?.
Recommend throws, yes.

There is a slight distinction between throws and rates. Throws are how far the control surface moves when you push the stick all the way. You can use the rates in your Tx to change the throws. Try to keep your rates near 100, don’t set the rates to something like 30%, if you do, you’ll lose resolution. At 100% rates you have about 1000 steps from neutral to full throw. At 30% rates, you’ll only have about 300 steps, far less resolution.

Instead of making a huge change in the rates, you will be better off adjust the throws by changing which hole the push rods are connected to. If you need less throw, on the servo, move the pushrod to an inner hole and/or move the pushrod to an outer hole on the control horn.

Expos soften the stick response near neutral. At 0 expo the response is linear, that is a 10% stick movement will give 10% control surface movement, 20 gives 20, 30 gives 30 and so on. At 30% expo, a 10% stick will give say 6% control surface movement, 20 gives 18, 30 gives 30, 40 gives 45 and so on. Expos is a matter of personal taste. Some like more than others, I prefer 30-40%.

As a beginner, set your throws to the recommended low setting. When you learn to fly better use the higher settings. Play with the expo and see what you like.

When I maiden a new plane, I start on low until the plane is trimmed out then I will move the throws up.

FDS

Elite member
The recommended throws are on the plans, there’s a deflection gauge in every plan or kit which helps you set them. You use the TX to set the overall maximum movement via endpoints. Ensure the servo isn’t being stalled at the end of its travel and that the hinges of the controls are nice and smooth so it can achieve adequate throw without effort.
Then you set the rates up on a switch. Most people have low rates, high rates and 100%, the deflection gauge shows you the movement you want for low and high rates. Not all planes want the same, for example flying wings require less deflection.
As noted, DO NOT reduce the overall rates too low.
Not all FT designs are created equal, some are much more reliable fliers for newer pilots than others. Choice of foamboard can make a big difference too. Minis in particular are more difficult to fly, their higher wing loading means they need to travel faster to generate lift and they are also very sensitive to overall build weight.
Look at some of the more forgiving fliers, like the Scout, Tiny Trainer, Sportster, Old Fogey etc.

Last edited:

sundown57

Legendary member
correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't we find out what transmitter he is using? if like me he has a flysky and sets his rates low it's going to be an instant crash. I have to set mine at 70 to achieve the recommended 30.