Newbie achievement room

sundown57

Legendary member
I started this thread to give newbies like me a place to just show off and pat ourselves on the back. Little things that wouldn't mean much to experienced flyers but are milestones for us. For example, I have been flying now for about 6 months. There is a basketball court I launch from then go walk the field behind it to retrieve my plane. Well, today I landed it back on the same court and in one piece, MAJOR accomplishment. It would be fun to watch others show off what they conquered as well. Doesn't matter if its a build you finished, a setting in your transmitter you figured out, or that one great flight you been working for. So please post whatever you did that made you smile, made you proud, Made you say OH YEAH I DID IT. doesn't matter how small it is, If you're proud of it, post it here. Pics and videos are even better. Like this one. 2 minutes and 33 seconds to line up to the runway. But I did it.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Good job, man! Now, set a new goal - since you're using a basketball field, try to touch down in roughly the same spot each time - say, at the half court line. :)

And if I can offer some constructive criticism, work at flying level flight, and smoothing it out so that everything's flat and level, or smooth banks. :) It's amazing how much just flying smoothly will make you up your flying game. :)

All that said, great job flying on that! Getting a plane up in the air and flying, then landing smoothly, is always a huge success. :)

James Powell

I started this thread to give newbies like me a place to just show off and pat ourselves on the back. Little things that wouldn't mean much to experienced flyers but are milestones for us. For example, I have been flying now for about 6 months. There is a basketball court I launch from then go walk the field behind it to retrieve my plane. Well, today I landed it back on the same court and in one piece, MAJOR accomplishment. It would be fun to watch others show off what they conquered as well. Doesn't matter if its a build you finished, a setting in your transmitter you figured out, or that one great flight you been working for. So please post whatever you did that made you smile, made you proud, Made you say OH YEAH I DID IT. doesn't matter how small it is, If you're proud of it, post it here. Pics and videos are even better. Like this one. 2 minutes and 33 seconds to line up to the runway. But I did it.

The biplane looks great! Keep pushing your limits. It's the only way to improve. Like sprzout recommended, try landing in specific spots. Also, don't be afraid to fly in a little bit of wind. It can really help you progress your skills.

sundown57

Legendary member
The biplane looks great! Keep pushing your limits. It's the only way to improve. Like sprzout recommended, try landing in specific spots. Also, don't be afraid to fly in a little bit of wind. It can really help you progress your skills.
we had 15 to 20 MPH winds today. That's one of the reasons I had trouble holding it level. With the big wings, it doesn't take much to blow it around. Plus I'm still at the ( fighting just to keep it airborne stage). But every flight is a little better.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
we had 15 to 20 MPH winds today. That's one of the reasons I had trouble holding it level. With the big wings, it doesn't take much to blow it around. Plus I'm still at the ( fighting just to keep it airborne stage). But every flight is a little better.

It’s all good, not picking on ya, just offering constructive criticism. 😁

Flying in winds can sometimes be fun. At our field in the late afternoon, we’ll start getting a breeze that blows at an angle across the runway. Flying into it, you can almost stall a plane while under 1/2 throttle. Turn around, and the plane will take off like a shot. It’s actually kinda fun once you get used to it! 😁

Vimana89

Legendary member
It’s all good, not picking on ya, just offering constructive criticism. 😁

Flying in winds can sometimes be fun. At our field in the late afternoon, we’ll start getting a breeze that blows at an angle across the runway. Flying into it, you can almost stall a plane while under 1/2 throttle. Turn around, and the plane will take off like a shot. It’s actually kinda fun once you get used to it! 😁
I'll agree with this one, super fun👍.I love having just enough wind to do a "hover circuit" thingy like this. I stall my slender delta on high alpha in the wind and hover like a kite as long as I can, then catch the tail wind, come around, and hover into the wind again.

Vimana89

Legendary member

I like the idea for this thread. I've made some rapid progress lately but I'm still very much of a beginner in a lot of aspects to the hobby. I can fly a basic trainer, some quads,and a couple of my funky home build deltas, but I am only employing the most basic build techniques and there's a lot of styles of plane I have yet to try like biplanes and flying wings, EDF jets, etc. My next big project will be a Dash 8 and it will be the first time I mess with twin engine. I'm an ok pilot but still a lot to learn there as well. This is a great thread by the way, because a lot of experienced flyers and meticulous builders used to big complex projects and professional editting just can't be bothered to care about another choppy unedited video of some newb's plane.

Vimana89

Legendary member
That being said, there are tons of more experienced builders and flyers here that do actively offer support and constructive criticism and appreciate your progress. A lot of times people are simply busy and overloaded with information on the forum here, that's why making a specific thread to share those milestones was a great idea 👍 I love that biplane mini speedster by the way,very nice.

Last edited:

sundown57

Legendary member
That's kind of what I was going for with this thread idea. The people here are fantastic for answering questions and offering advice, and we all appriciate it and learn from it. But we never see the results of all that hard work. I thought it would be cool to just have a place to show off what little we get right. Like yesterday I flew a 4 channel for like 2 minutes. Made a complete figure 8 ON PURPOSE, well yeah then I crashed but heay ( 4 channel, in the air, 2 minutes,,, OH YEAH, nail it, lol)

Vimana89

Legendary member
That's kind of what I was going for with this thread idea. The people here are fantastic for answering questions and offering advice, and we all appriciate it and learn from it. But we never see the results of all that hard work. I thought it would be cool to just have a place to show off what little we get right. Like yesterday I flew a 4 channel for like 2 minutes. Made a complete figure 8 ON PURPOSE, well yeah then I crashed but heay ( 4 channel, in the air, 2 minutes,,, OH YEAH, nail it, lol)
I have yet to fly a four channel plane besides my micro Trojan on safe mode and intermediate before it got too beat up. Safe mode you need to coordinate rudder and ailerons on full throws to turn sharply, but would be over-control in no safe mode. I have flown 4ch on a sim though. The closest thing to a full four channel I'll be flying soon is the Dash 8. It will be four channel twin engine but no rudder, I will try to put differential thrust on that fourth channel.

Tronglodon

Today I maidened my FT Spitfire, which I've been dreading. I don't have much four channel experience and this is also the first time I've set up a flight controller for stabilization. (Also the first time I've flown with any sort of stabilization.) Anyway, a lot of firsts, but the flight went great! Went through four batteries getting used to it and getting it tuned up. And it came home without a scratch, except from belly landing.
IMG_20190429_110212.jpg

shadeyB

Legendary member
But I did it.

Love the touch n go at 1:30
You need to give yourself more credit than you do !!!
To fly a by-plane in those winds around a park without putting it in the basketball net requires a lot of skill trust me at such slow speeds ! Higher speed = greater wind flow over wing = more lift & stable flight, not to mention flying behind objects lol 😂 not attempted that yet other than in a tree or 2. One tip I have learned to land safely is to practise killing the power and adding up elevator, plane will descend - slowly add throttle till nose is slightly up > makes for a good landing. Good Flying is lots of practice. 🤘

sundown57

Legendary member
Love the touch n go at 1:30
You need to give yourself more credit than you do !!!
To fly a by-plane in those winds around a park without putting it in the basketball net requires a lot of skill trust me at such slow speeds ! Higher speed = greater wind flow over wing = more lift & stable flight, not to mention flying behind objects lol 😂 not attempted that yet other than in a tree or 2. One tip I have learned to land safely is to practise killing the power and adding up elevator, plane will descend - slowly add throttle till nose is slightly up > makes for a good landing. Good Flying is lots of practice. 🤘

I never thought of trying to put it into the net. I have a new goal. COOL

Vimana89

Legendary member
Ok, I'll share something. One of my very first successful designs, the V-Sliver RET slender delta. I have a few vids of this one but this has the distinction of having my nicest landing to date at the end. It is raw footage and the plane leaves the screen briefly a couple times. I don't mean to toot my own horn, or maybe I do just a bit...but I totally abuse the high alpha and ground effect capabilities of my plane on the landing run.

sundown57

Legendary member
Ok, I'll share something. One of my very first successful designs, the V-Sliver RET slender delta. I have a few vids of this one but this has the distinction of having my nicest landing to date at the end. It is raw footage and the plane leaves the screen briefly a couple times. I don't mean to toot my own horn, or maybe I do just a bit...but I totally abuse the high alpha and ground effect capabilities of my plane on the landing run.

This thread is dedicated to ( tooting your own horn). and DARN that thing looks so cool coming in for a landing straight up like that. Looks like it has all the power in the world just waiting to be unleashed. and yeah Great landing.

Vimana89

Legendary member
This thread is dedicated to ( tooting your own horn). and DARN that thing looks so cool coming in for a landing straight up like that. Looks like it has all the power in the world just waiting to be unleashed. and yeah Great landing.
👍Loving it. Always fun to showboat a bit with all due humility and equal reverence for others'"horn tooting". My plane has some decent thrust, but brute force is hardly the half of what keeps her in the air with the massive vortex lift. Great slow flyer too, as long as you tame the roll axis and learn a bit of high alpha.Its actually a bit more stable at slow and moderate speeds to be honest.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I can finally build a half decent full box fuselage. These used to give me trouble and come out wonky,but I went to work developing my Dash 8 fuse last night and the first attempt came out just how I wanted. Pretty easy A fold setup with some curved front components and a taper in the back, but pretty much a basic noob tube all the way down the middle. I'll have more achievements to share once I get this plane flying. In the mean time, I'm looking forward to checking out everyone's progress here and seeing some more funky flying vids!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

sundown57

Legendary member
I've been working on building this plane for a while. I wanted one with a large fuselage so the battery would be well below the wing and I wanted a big wing so I could fly it slow. any way came up with the beast. I had to get a bit creative with the bracing because the wings are so big, and I was so worried it was a complete failure. Turns out it was a blast to fly. No great in the wind but it was fun to fight it.

Attachments

• IMG_3769.JPG
    IMG_3769.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3757.JPG
    IMG_3757.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 0