Newbie achievement room

sundown57

Legendary member
I like how it shows how slow the plane can fly, Even though it was in a stall and pitching up and down a lot. I will hafta agree with @Headbang on the motor/ESC issue though. An 8x6 should flow plenty of air over the wings to get more speed out of it then that, Especially with a fully under cambered wing.

What brand of prop is the 8x6?
gemfan. maybe you get what you pay for.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
gemfan. maybe you get what you pay for.
Start investing on APC or master airscrew at the least. It will make a world of difference. An 8x6 should pull that plane all over at decent speed thats manageable. These brands tend not to twist or flex as much making your flights more consistent. Honestly going up to a 10x6 will be to much prop for that airframe

Vimana89

Legendary member
Since I'm prone to spur of the moment mad scratch builds and flying in rough terrain, I use Raycorp/Gemfan(seems to be the same brand) almost exclusively because of their bulk prices on Amazon. Once I slow down a little bit and have a few builds I can fly extremely consistently, I may buy some fancier props. The secret about Raycorp/Gemfan, is some of their props are quite good and have a real beefy, rigid airfoil and are really hard to damage. Their 5x5.45x2 "King Kong" bullnose are outstanding and durable props with a fat airfoil, where their 5x3x3 are the flimsiest, floppiest, easiest breaking, nasty noise on high throttle making pieces of straight up jank I've ever used. They still work, but they are definitely not a quality product like the Kongs. The 5x5.5x3 "Hulkies" are also solid performers. They have a fancy air foil and a lot of thrust, but not quite as durable as the King Kongs.

Basically, its hit or miss with that brand, but the price is right.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Now that I can fly ailerons...do I want to play it safe for another build, or try something a little more daring. There's an f104 on Outerzone. That would be a challenge, but maybe too much. Think I might try the "Floating Saucer" next, now there's a weird plane with AET.

Attachments

• IMG_1070.JPG
    IMG_1070.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
I'm going to save the f104 and get some extension cables to put the battery and motor farther apart. I like to make them not too big and simple, so I may go profile for that to save weight. In the mean time, I want to try some delta stuff with proper elevons and ailerons, and probably that saucer AET thing too. Making a plane fly well with elevons will be my next newby achievement.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I'm going to save the f104 and get some extension cables to put the battery and motor farther apart. I like to make them not too big and simple, so I may go profile for that to save weight. In the mean time, I want to try some delta stuff with proper elevons and ailerons, and probably that saucer AET thing too. Making a plane fly well with elevons will be my next newby achievement.
Have you considered a wing like the Mini Arrow? It's a good wing to play with elevons. You can fly it slow or fast, the design just flies

Vimana89

Legendary member
Have you considered a wing like the Mini Arrow? It's a good wing to play with elevons. You can fly it slow or fast, the design just flies
I have considered that as well as @Hai-Lee 's KFM wing, along with another build called the SSD("Super Simple Delta"), and several other designs, so I've got a lot of good options lined up. I'll give it a shot with my slender delta design first, but if that doesn't work out the first try, I'll be going for something a bit easier and gentler to learn on.