Help! Newbie afraid to ask for HELP.

GPB0729

I have been following FliteTest for a very long time now. As a matter of fact, I am getting ready to volunteer at my third FilteFest in 2023.

The problem? I get discouraged easily and when things go wrong, I have a tendency to walk away, however, with this hobby I can't shake the desire to finally get a plane in the air consistently. To that end, my (soon to be ex) wife bought me a RadioMaster TX16s and an Aura 5. I put the Aura in an FT Tiny Trainer and crashed is real good at FliteFest 2022. Fortunately a friend I had met there had flown it before me showing that I at least got the CG and construction correct.

My problem NOW is how to program the Aura and TX16S to work together to provide that "SAFE" mode and fly it this June (or before if I can find a field). Someone with as much patience for me as I have for those building planes in the STEM tent would be appreciated - more than anybody could know unless we meet at FliteFest.

Thank you and happy flying!

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
as long as youve been interested in the hobby and still not flying maybe join a local flying club and get yourself a mentor and one that can buddy box teach you fly as well as the electronics

good luck & dont give up

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...The problem? I get discouraged easily and when things go wrong, I have a tendency to walk away, ... Someone with as much patience for me as I have for those building planes in the STEM...
Well at least you are asking for help now.
The problem for us, it’s hard to tell if someone wants help. People see you in the STEM tent and think you must know how to fly. I agree with Aireal, find a local club and ask for help. If that’s not possible, ask for help at FF.

I spend a lot of time helping others at FF. But I’ve learned through experience, it’s best to wait until you are asked to help.

GPB0729

Well at least you are asking for help now.
The problem for us, it’s hard to tell if someone wants help. People see you in the STEM tent and think you must know how to fly. I agree with Aireal, find a local club and ask for help. If that’s not possible, ask for help at FF.

I spend a lot of time helping others at FF. But I’ve learned through experience, it’s best to wait until you are asked to help.
Is there a thread on the forums that has conversations about using the Aura 5 Lite and the TX16S together? I have tried almost everything I've seen on the FliteTest videos concerning the Aura 5 without success. Thank you for the encouragement... I am not good at navigating around partly because there are so many threads and I don't seem to enter the "right" search tags.

Foamforce

Where are you located? On the off chance that you’re near Madison, WI, I’m looking for more people to fly with and would be happy to help.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I can't help you with your controller, but I intend to build a Tiny Trainer at FF (both wings) for the expressed purpose of giving buddy box lessons. I can help you then. All the better if you have the use of some 800-850 mah 3s batteries to "donate" to the cause.

Until then, as previously mentioned, find a club with experienced pilots.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Is there a thread on the forums that has conversations about using the Aura 5 Lite and the TX16S together?...
None that I'm aware of.
With these kinds of problems, I have found it's best to attack them one step at a time. In other words, make sure the Tx is doing what you want first, then attach it to the Aura.

Try binding the Tx to the Rx and hook up some servos, make sure the Tx is communicating correctly with the Rx. Once you know it's working, then try it with the Aura. If you can't get the Tx to work with the Rx, report back your problem. Someone here will know how to fix it.

In the words of the great Canadian philosopher, Red Green, "We are all in this together and I'm pulling for you"

Foamforce

My problem NOW is how to program the Aura and TX16S to work together to provide that "SAFE" mode and fly it this June (or before if I can find a field).

What Merv said, but also, are you able to connect to the receiver and control the servos, but just don’t know how to enable the “auto leveling SAFE” mode?

GPB0729

Where are you located? On the off chance that you’re near Madison, WI, I’m looking for more people to fly with and would be happy to help.
I am in Ypsilanti, MI, about 40minutes west of Detroit. I am still looking for a consistent group of people to fly with. There is a group nearby but their appearance at the "designated" flying times is inconsistent. Thank you for your offer!

GPB0729

None that I'm aware of.
With these kinds of problems, I have found it's best to attack them one step at a time. In other words, make sure the Tx is doing what you want first, then attach it to the Aura.

Try binding the Tx to the Rx and hook up some servos, make sure the Tx is communicating correctly with the Rx. Once you know it's working, then try it with the Aura. If you can't get the Tx to work with the Rx, report back your problem. Someone here will know how to fix it.

In the words of the great Canadian philosopher, Red Green, "We are all in this together and I'm pulling for you"
I had a new friend fly it at FliteFest 2022 so I know that all of the regular flight functions work. It is the "programming" for/with the Aura 5 that is still beyond my grasp.

Thank you for the encouragement!

GPB0729

I can't help you with your controller, but I intend to build a Tiny Trainer at FF (both wings) for the expressed purpose of giving buddy box lessons. I can help you then. All the better if you have the use of some 800-850 mah 3s batteries to "donate" to the cause.

Until then, as previously mentioned, find a club with experienced pilots.
I hope to have a good collection of batteries and a charger by the time FliteFest comes around. I would LOVE to meet up and try buddy-boxing with you. The last time I flew, someone started helping me with their setup, but he has not been to their field lately (as in designated fly times).

I have reserved camping at: Section TENT Camp 3, Row E, Seat 10 wherever that is... I look forward to seeing EVERYONE there that can make it. Is SO much fun!

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I hope to have a good collection of batteries and a charger by the time FliteFest comes around. I would LOVE to meet up and try buddy-boxing with you. The last time I flew, someone started helping me with their setup, but he has not been to their field lately (as in designated fly times).

I have reserved camping at: Section TENT Camp 3, Row E, Seat 10 wherever that is... I look forward to seeing EVERYONE there that can make it. Is SO much fun!

I won"t be camping, but I'll have space in one one of the build tents. I expect I'll have a sign up of some sort.

kdobson83

I have a radiomaster tx16s and I have used it with a couple aura boards so far. Like stated before though, what point are you stuck at? I read that you have had the plane in the air without the aura board, but are now trying to install the aura but cant get it to work? What RX are you using? Pictures of the connection between the RX and aura will help as well.

Do you have the aura connected to your RX and are getting control surface movement but no stabilization?

You will have to setup up a switch in your TX and make sure that switch is on the right channel, but for the life of me I cant remember which... lol That switch is used to switch between flight modes on the aura.

I have been stuck a few times setting these up. Only having to do it a couple times a year, I forget how to do it in-between builds. lol

And lastly, have you downloaded and installed the aura companion to your PC? I would suggest downloading the manual for these boards (which are made by Flex), getting the companion installed and connected to your aura. The aura companion will show stick movements and allow you to make adjustments to the factory programming.

When I get home I will try to dig into my TX and see how I have it set up and let you know.

Draftman1

It takes time and patience, Flying takes practice, I can’t count how many times I planted a plane. Have planes built and ready to go, get some flying lessons, Keep at it, you will get it. Some people learn this faster than others, it’s not a race and you can’t compare to others.

It’s all about having fun and enjoying the hobby.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...I can’t count how many times I planted a plane....
Tell me about it, I keep planting them but I can’t get any of them to grow.

I’ve learned it more efficient to build several planes at the same time. I’m currently building 4 Edges, just trace the plans on a sheet of foam, then stack as much foam as you want & cut all of them at the same time on the bandsaw.

When I plant another, just take out the guts and put them in a new one that’s waiting on the workbench.

dap35

Elite member
I had a new friend fly it at FliteFest 2022 so I know that all of the regular flight functions work. It is the "programming" for/with the Aura 5 that is still beyond my grasp.

Thank you for the encouragement!
I have several Aura 5's. Making sure the initial connection to the RX is key. The other recommendation I can make is to use a Windows based PC/Laptop to program it. What kind of RX are you using?

GPB0729

I promise I am not ignoring you, but somehow my grandsons got into my hangar and i cant' find the received/satellite piece of my setup. I bought it at Flite Fest 2022 and it is compatible with an FrSky D8. To say I am NOT happy would be an understatement!

I am realizing that I'm not sure I followed the proper "power-up" procedure when I first bound the receiver to the transmitter (TX16S). I don't remember holding the button(s) on the Aura.

As soon as I find the receiver I will get back to it...

Thank you ALL for your help so far.

Crazed Scout Pilot

I have a tx16 as well it is a great transmitter. I'm not quite sure what this aura is but if i can help with any programing of the transmitter let me know. You have a great plane with the tiny trainer it was the first plane I learned on. With the tiny trainer I don't think you need the safe. What are your rates? Which wing did you put on it? What point do you crash at? Because I can give you to tips that I've learned. I congratulate you for sticking in there. I have had a lot of experience with different planes and different crashes so I would love to help in any way I can.