Newbie all the way!!

Newbiesteve30

I found flite test a couple months ago on one of those youtube searches that take you places you have never been lol! This is my first time on a forum and I want to really get into the RC world of Scale model flying. Josh and Josh started something in me I just can't stop until I finally fly a RC plane without crashing it. I bought the Hobby Zone Super Cub LP and crashed very hard! I think it is fixable but I want to know if it is a good trainer. Should I put the money in it to fix it or buy something else. Is there any where in Southern NJ where I can go to get some training. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!!

RC Dad

I am a newbie too. My son's and I have crashed our Super Cub a lot. I think I have broken every part of the plane except for the motor. We like it as a trainer. I would also recommend getting some type of simulator as well. Will get you where you want to be a little faster and with less stress.

I would first try to repair the plane before buying new parts. Tooth Picks, packing tape, hot glue and/or Gorilla Glue should be able to fix most issues. I have split the wings apart. Broken the fuselage in two and pulled out the battery box and was able to repair everything. Give it a go and if it does not work, then order the new parts. We don't even have landing gear, but now just belly land it. This plane can take a real beating.

Welcome to the forum. I have learned a lot here and will be glad to help any way I can (at least from my limited newbie perspective).

earthsciteach

Welcome!

First, there is no crash that the Super Cub can't be brought back from. Ask me how I know! :rolleyes: Do NOT buy something else, because you are just going to crash that, too, sooner or later. Stick with the Cubby.

The Cub was my first plane. I bought it a little less than a year ago. It taught me how to fly RC airplanes. Its THAT good of an airplane. But, I still crash it from time to time. The most recent was yesterday. Ripped the battery box and landing gear right out of it. I flew it again this afternoon. I've rebuilt my Cub MANY times. I'm on my second fuselage and tail feathers, but still on my first wing. It is nothing like the stock airplane in performance or appearance. But, it still has the same amazing, forgiving flight characteristics. In short, you bought the correct airplane.

For training, do you have a local hobby shop that you can seek contacts through? Also, do a search for local RC clubs in your area. AMA (American Modeling Association-or something like that) will have listings of clubs in your area.

Short of that, I will be at my parents' house in southern Delaware over Easter break. If you are still looking for help then, let me know, hop on the Cape May-Lewes Ferry and we will terrorize Cape Henlopen State Park!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Let me help. Here's the club search from the AMA website.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

I cast my vote for fixing and flying the super cub. As Teach very wisely said, there's no crash that the cub can't come back from. I too (re)learned on a cub. I had a trainer prior to that from the same company but never really got good at it before I destroyed it. I have also broken mine in half twice, taken huge chunks out of the wing, blown the electronics tray right out the bottom, broken the transmission in half, and not once did I have to leave the flying field because of a failure. I did finally dunk it four times in one outing and fried the ESC. But not once did a ground based crash send me home. I glued and taped and screwed and kept flying. You can put a package of hot glue into this plane and it will keep flying. I have flown quite a few planes now and I haven't found a better electric trainer than the cub.

Post some pictures of the damage and we can give you some ideas for fixing it. Believe me, we've tried it all.

Here's some of mine.
IMAG0435.jpg IMAG0428.jpg IMAG0671.jpg

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Big plusses on what these guys have already said.
The Supercub is not only a great trainer. It's a great plane and is one of my favorites.
Very repairable. Every hobby store carries spare parts for it.

First thing to do is disable or even better yet get rid of the ACT. It causes more issues that it solves.
Also take a tour over to RC Groups and check out this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1338787&page=487
Scroll back to the first page for links to mods, repairs and all kinds of info on your cub.

Have fun with the cub!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Thumbs up to those above. I have to say I can't spruik a good flight sim enough too. I didn't fly a plane (also a supercub) until after I'd perfected a take-off, figure 8 pattern and landing on FMS (mind you, that only took a couple of hours on the sticks). There are a lot greater variety of flight sims now (see the thread) and you can learn pretty well on any package from free downloads (FMS and many others) to $40 for Clearview, to $100-150 for Phoenix to obscene amounts for Realflight.

A mate from work got Phoenix, spent about 3 hours on it, launched, flew and landed pretty darn well with his new Bixler.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I personally went straight to the cub. I only got the simulator when I started flying helis. It helps, but I wouldn't spend all my money on a simulator. A cub will get you flying with a little practice and enough room to fly. A friend who already has it down can sure make it easier too.

Newbiesteve30

I am a newbie too. My son's and I have crashed our Super Cub a lot. I think I have broken every part of the plane except for the motor. We like it as a trainer. I would also recommend getting some type of simulator as well. Will get you where you want to be a little faster and with less stress.

I would first try to repair the plane before buying new parts. Tooth Picks, packing tape, hot glue and/or Gorilla Glue should be able to fix most issues. I have split the wings apart. Broken the fuselage in two and pulled out the battery box and was able to repair everything. Give it a go and if it does not work, then order the new parts. We don't even have landing gear, but now just belly land it. This plane can take a real beating.

Welcome to the forum. I have learned a lot here and will be glad to help any way I can (at least from my limited newbie perspective).

I will start fixing it tonight. My landing gear is gone as well. I lost sight of the plane and found it about an hour later. Thanks for the post. I like the fact that being a newbie isn't a bad thing here lol and I am not the only one who lands aggresivly lol

Newbiesteve30

I will definitly post some Pics AK Flyer but I have to say my plane looks alot like your fist and second pics. I did destroy the motor and I bought 2 more because they are so cheap. I do agree with you jetpackninja. The ACT seems to mess me up more than help me. I feel like I am fighting it all the time I'll just turn it off when I get the Cub back together. I will take you up on that offer earthsciteach it sounds like it could be a blast. Thanks AK for the link. I want to leave work now and go put my Cub back together. I just want to say WOW and a BIG thanks for everyone helping me out and getting me pumped up again about flying. I was getting down and feeling more and more like I just can't do it with every crash. I did find a AMA club about 20 mins from my house I will definitly be checking them out!! Thanks again everyone and I will load my pics tonight!!! =)

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Instead of turning it off just unplug the sensors from the esc. We tried turning it off but found that we would inadvertently bump the switch and not know it then just as we were pulling up hard it would cut the motor. I just went ahead and pulled the sensors completely out and there's more room in the plane. I plugged the holes with a little bit of hot glue.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Instead of turning it off just unplug the sensors from the esc.
+1

They really add no benefit to the plane whatsoever.
I pulled both of mine out.
The one in the front I just put a piece of black electrical tape over the hole.
The one on the bottom I just left the hole, no biggie.
My vote is put them in a blender.

earthsciteach

Oh, and PM me about the Easter weekend. We will be down in DE from April 5th until the 9th. Let me know when you could hop across the bay and I can meet you at the ferry.

Newbiesteve30

Put it back together!!

100_0082.JPG plane1.jpg plane2.jpg plane3.jpg So I finally put the cubbie all back together. It took about 30 mins and went alot faster than I thought it would. I took out the ACT also. I went out to take it for it's first flight in a while. I took off perfectly and made a couple passes around the feild to get high enough to make a mistake. I was about 40 maybe 50 feet high then disaster. I was in a shallow turn about hlaf power and the plane all the sudden starts into a spin. I tried to pull out but the ground rushed up and took it out. I went over to inspect it. I looked and realized I forgot to put the rubber band a where it connects to the rudder. It came undone and diaster. This time I think it's going to take about an hour LOL :black_eyed:

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
While you have it in this state it would be a good time to do a couple 'o mods.

Google "wing saddle reinforcement supercub"
and
"battery box reinforcement supercub"

If you've already fixed it these are still two very worthwhile mods to consider.
Minimal effort and maximum return for both of these mods :)

The plane will fly just fine w/o a cowl if you want to test and make sure your repairs are good.
You can also reinforce the new cowl with tape to help keep it from cracking in the future.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Dude, that's one exploded cub :applause: Glue my friend, lots and lots of glue. The nice thing is that if it's too bad, you can pick up another fuselage for 26 bucks. I'm on my second fuselage.