Newbie Communication Issues, Please Help.

MAK

Ok my son and I are building a gremlin. Here is the situation. The receiver is bound to the transmitter but when we plug in to beta flight the receiver and flight controller seem to be connected as in if you move the FC board the animated drone in beta flight moves with it but the transmitter isn’t doing anything. For example on the receiver tab in beta flight as you move the gimbals none of the corresponding indications move. Here is what we have. If needed I am more than wiling to get on the phone with someone to help with this I’m sure it is something simple that we are just not familiar with.

Flight controller: FSD306S 2S 6A Baby Flight Tower
Receiver: FrSky G-RX6
Transmitter: Taranis X9 Lite S

Thanks for your help. Flite Test has been great help but communications have been difficult because they are busy and in quarantine as well. Our local hobby store could help if they were open but of course that’s not the case.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
The movement of the 3D model in the configurator is due to the sensors (gyro/accelerometer) on the board, nothing to do with the Rx. In the Betaflight Ports tab, SerialRx has to be enabled on whichever UART you connected the signal wire from the Rx to. Then in the Configuration tab, for receiver type pick Serial, and for serial provider select SBUS. Remember to save & reboot before changing tabs in BF or you will lose your changes.

MAK

Thank you it works. I didn’t know how to set up or what to set the serial configuration. After a little trial and error and then getting the arm aux1 switch defined we now have control and full communications. Thank you again.

MAK

Ok my son and I are building a gremlin. Here is the situation. The receiver is bound to the transmitter but when we plug in to beta flight the receiver and flight controller seem to be connected as in if you move the FC board the animated drone in beta flight moves with it but the transmitter isn’t doing anything. For example on the receiver tab in beta flight as you move the gimbals none of the corresponding indications move. Here is what we have. If needed I am more than wiling to get on the phone with someone to help with this I’m sure it is something simple that we are just not familiar with.

Flight controller: FSD306S 2S 6A Baby Flight Tower
Receiver: FrSky G-RX6
Transmitter: Taranis X9 Lite S

Thanks for your help. Flite Test has been great help but communications have been difficult because they are busy and in quarantine as well. Our local hobby store could help if they were open but of course that’s not the case.

We are all connected and up and running but do you have any advise. On setting up beginner/training modes for flying the drone?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Betaflight has angle and horizon modes, which do self levelling, and an acro trainer mode which acts like acro but put's limits on the angles you can achieve. Personally, I think you're best off starting with straight acro mode in a simulator like Velocidrone or Liftoff to get used to how it works and build muscle memory. Keep the first 10000 crashes virtual and save your copter ;)

Ok I can't hold back any longer.
Every time I read your title I want to resolve your question with "Listen twice as much as you speak." :D

MAK

Ok I can't hold back any longer.
Every time I read your title I want to resolve your question with "Listen twice as much as you speak." :D

Haha! Thanks but not so helpful. LOL. Just a bit of a learning curve with beta flight.

MAK

Betaflight has angle and horizon modes, which do self levelling, and an acro trainer mode which acts like acro but put's limits on the angles you can achieve. Personally, I think you're best off starting with straight acro mode in a simulator like Velocidrone or Liftoff to get used to how it works and build muscle memory. Keep the first 10000 crashes virtual and save your copter ;)

Thanks. I think that would be good for my son and fun for us both. I have done plenty of flying just not ever built one.