Help! NEWBIE DOWNUNDER

Rodders058

Hi One and All,
As a highschool teacher in NZ, I am keen to introduce my Year 10 (Grade 9 or10?) students to the world of flight. I am a real "newbie" to the world of RC.
At the end of the 2019 calender year, I purchased a bunch of foam board, a Power Pack A kit with Spectrum DXe controller and a FT Tiny Trainer kit from the wonderful guys at Flite Test.
Thanks to COVID (just like everyone else) my teaching program has been turned upside down. Anyway - long story short - I have finaly got around to completing the foamboard model and this evening, connected all of the electronics. I am pretty confident that I have everything connected properly - apart it would seem - from the following exceptions:
1) When I tried to calibrate the esc .... nothing happened. The motor showed no sign of life.
2) Servo for the rudder works ok but is the wrong way around. (When I push the joystick to the right, the rudders makes as if to turn the plane left)
3) Elevator Servo seems to work fine.
4) THIS IS THE BIG ONE .... the motor will not work. The motor goes backwards and forwards in a jerky motion when I push the throttle forwards or the motor and turns slowly for a few revolutions. I tried to upload a video of this but video file was too large.
The first image below shows the general wiring layout.
The second image shows how the esc and servo's connect to the transmitter.,
Position #1 is from the esc
Position #2 is the rudder
Position #3 is the elevator

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance
Rodders058

Attachments

• 20200720_200549.jpg
    20200720_200549.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200720_200611.jpg
    20200720_200611.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

mayan

Legendary member
Welcome to the forums first off😁.
Second let’s try and address your issues.
1) to calibrate for most ESCs you turn on the Tx put the throttle stick at max then connect the battery, hear one loud beep, then you move to the min position and hear a low beep and then a series of tones after which you should hear sort of an arming sound. However if you bought off of FT they should have a manual come with it.
2) go into the Tx settings and reverse the rudder from there. This might help.
4) upload the video to YouTube or try taking a shorter video then upload it kind hard to say what’s the issue without it. Also if you have a different ESC I’d try with that to see if there is any difference, or swap out the Rx and test that if you have a spare one too.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forums

The jerky motor could have several causes, bad motor, bad esc or bad solder joint. Give all of the wires between the motor & esc a gentle tug also tug the bullet connectors. If one falls off, that was the problem. Try a known good motor with the esc. Try a known good esc with the motor.

Here is a high school program you might be interested in.

Rodders058

1) to calibrate for most ESCs you turn on the Tx put the throttle stick at max then connect the battery, hear one loud beep, then you move to the min position and hear a low beep and then a series of tones after which you should hear sort of an arming sound. However if you bought off of FT they should have a manual come with it.
4) upload the video to YouTube or try taking a shorter video then upload it kind hard to say what’s the issue without it. Also if you have a different ESC I’d try with that to see if there is any difference, or swap out the Rx and test that if you have a spare one too.

Hope this points you in the right direction.[/QUO

Hope this points you in the right direction.

Hey Mayan,
Problem solved ....I visited our local hobby store and worked with the proprietor.
Through a process of elimination (trying new esc and new motor) we have identified that the Flite Test motor is faulty.
Many thanks for your help.
Regards
Rodders085

Rodders058

Hey Mayan,
Problem solved ....I visited our local hobby store and worked with the proprietor.
Through a process of elimination (trying new esc and new motor) we have identified that the Flite Test motor is faulty.
Many thanks for your help.
Regards
Rodders085