Newbie, First plane assistance

Hamdhan

The Expert Newbie
Hi guys,

I am not new to the RC genre and I have plenty of experience with ESC, Tx/Rx etc. I even built my own plane that didn't go too well (Crashed).

However, I now want to buy a proper first plane, preferably from HobbyKing.
Something for under a $60-100, ARF is fine.
Please suggest some aircraft. Note: I will be learning to fly by myself, in possibly slightly windy conditions.

I am currently thinking of the Bixler ARF. But remember, it must take crashes.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
The AXN is also a great plane and can take some wind. If you're teaching yourself, it might be better than the Bixler purely from the quality point of view - you need to make a few, albeit relatively minor, mods to get the Bixler in reliable shape.

I'm also a fan of high wing style trainers like the Supercub and the Tuff Trainer, but they feel the wind a bit more.

Bollie

The AXN is great, nice and stable to learn on but with some minor modifications it will grow with your skill level. I've been flying for over 2 years now and I still love flying my axn

jd7792

Hi Hamdhan
You are not the first to post this exact question on this forum. Inevitably you are going to get a number of replies that suggest either the AXN or the Bixler. You will also get replies suggesting lots of use of a simulator. I was in your shoes not that long ago but I made my choices before I found this forum.
These suggestions are all valid and are all correct, but as I said I made my choices before I found this forum. I bought a Banana Hobby Skysurfer which for all intensive purposes is the same plane as the Bixler. I can highly recommend this as a first plane as I didn't have anyone to ask or to teach me how to fly. I had to teach myself how to fly but I have to admit that I have learnt most from this forum. I love flying the surfer and have now had two of them and have just finished my second scratch build.
It is well worth reading everything you can but it will inevitably secure the decision to buy something like one of these two planes.
The sim is a really valuable tool don't underrate it!
I wish you luck with your choice but feel good that you have asked the right bunch of people. This forum is full of knowledgeable people who are willing to help, ask and you will receive
Happy flying!

Last edited:

Hamdhan

The Expert Newbie
Thanks guys. I love the AXN PNP but its too heavy, so I am going with the ARF Bixler.
What kind of reinforcements are needed?

jd7792

By the way you will love the Bixler. There is stacks of threads and videos on this forum just dedicated to the Bixler

Hamdhan

The Expert Newbie
There is a brilliant little set of YouTube clips called Bixler supplements you will find the link at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuKFTTWxpSk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I am not sure how many parts there are in this video project but open it and you'll work it out. If you have a problem let me know and I will see whatelse I can do for u.

I just watched this video earlier on. Thanks!
I cannot order CF tube because HK will add a ridiculosly heavy box and I aint going to pay 10USD extra for a box for 1$ CF rods... so... I'll use 1 750mm I got at home and a 500mm CF tube.

Hamdhan

The Expert Newbie
Furthermore, should I be worried about the stock servos? Does the motor come with any kind of connector?

earthsciteach

From my experience, the stock servos are fine. If you are ordering the ARF version, you would be buying a separate motor, right? I think most motors do come with connectors that you solder on. You would also have to solder the mating connectors on the esc. Soldering is not hard at all and you can find plenty of good tutorials. Here's a really good one: http://flitetest.com/articles/Solder_school_XT60

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Go with the Bixler for sure! It's the toughest plane you can get from HobbyKing, there are some things you can do to make it even better! Check my case, my plane is still in one piece :)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
From my experience, the stock servos are fine. If you are ordering the ARF version, you would be buying a separate motor, right? I think most motors do come with connectors that you solder on. You would also have to solder the mating connectors on the esc. Soldering is not hard at all and you can find plenty of good tutorials. Here's a really good one: http://flitetest.com/articles/Solder_school_XT60

Oh, the Bixler ARF comes with a motor! and it comes with the battery connectors too.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I got a 1300 first, but now I only use 2200's.

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1564.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg