Newbie from downunder

GEORGELCBLACK

Hi all My name is Tony and live in the land of Oz. I have been flying Control line on and off for the past 45 years. And a couple of months ago decided to give R/c a go, of course started of at the wrong end of things. started of with the Ferrari and not the bicycle with trainer wheels, or I bought a plane to suit my ego not my ability:).
After 3 attempts decided that there was no way I was going to be able to fly the Dynam 1200 Spitfire in a cricket ground surrounded by 70 foot gum trees.
So went and bought my bicycle with trainer wheels, The Horizon Sport Cub S2, what a dream to fly with the SAFE Technology. After 12 hours on beginner mode in only 3 weeks I killed it the rudder and Elevator servo's stopped working.o_O. So been trying to get an FT design to fly but with no luck, the Aussie foam board is just to heavy and need bigger motors to make them fly which makes them not to behave properly. So just purchased a VolantexRC Firstar V767-1 which I am yet to try and fly.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Hi all My name is Tony and live in the land of Oz. I have been flying Control line on and off for the past 45 years. And a couple of months ago decided to give R/c a go, of course started of at the wrong end of things. started of with the Ferrari and not the bicycle with trainer wheels, or I bought a plane to suit my ego not my ability:).
After 3 attempts decided that there was no way I was going to be able to fly the Dynam 1200 Spitfire in a cricket ground surrounded by 70 foot gum trees.
So went and bought my bicycle with trainer wheels, The Horizon Sport Cub S2, what a dream to fly with the SAFE Technology. After 12 hours on beginner mode in only 3 weeks I killed it the rudder and Elevator servo's stopped working.o_O. So been trying to get an FT design to fly but with no luck, the Aussie foam board is just to heavy and need bigger motors to make them fly which makes them not to behave properly. So just purchased a VolantexRC Firstar V767-1 which I am yet to try and fly.
Welcome to the forum!
I also live in Aus and build using the local FB but I have few issues with the extra weight as it provides greater strength and I fly the FT designs using the standard power setups or the close equivalents without any serious issues. I could assist you in getting airborne with local FB if you live in my local area.
Where in Aus do you fly?

Have fun!

GEORGELCBLACK

Welcome to the forum!
I also live in Aus and build using the local FB but I have few issues with the extra weight as it provides greater strength and I fly the FT designs using the standard power setups or the close equivalents without any serious issues. I could assist you in getting airborne with local FB if you live in my local area.
Where in Aus do you fly?

Have fun!

Thank you for the offer But I think we live at opposite ends of the fence, your in QLD and I am in VIC.
I may be down but not out I have been doing A lot of physical research into different methods of making my own foam board using different core materials and thicknesses, and different coverings.
I have a several spread sheets with the results so far if you are interested, they are in LibreOffice format.
cheers

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Thank you for the offer But I think we live at opposite ends of the fence, your in QLD and I am in VIC.
I may be down but not out I have been doing A lot of physical research into different methods of making my own foam board using different core materials and thicknesses, and different coverings.
I have a several spread sheets with the results so far if you are interested, they are in LibreOffice format.
cheers
The local FB is my preference as I am trying to get a business running. Currently I have a retail outlet locally and have sent samples as far away as rural SA but that was to a forum member in the past.
My builds of FT models are for information purposes as well as how to get them to perform as per the original models in the DTFB as used by FT. In the past this has included weight reduction techniques as well as altering the design for better strength or a lighter build or both!
As for the FB I use I build in either 5mm or 3mm depending on the design and I have a number of my own designs for market.
Now getting into tooling up and I am teaching myself 3D printing and CNC machines. Hope to automate my plane production as much as is possible as well as acting like a "Rare Spares" for RC model aircraft, (but that is still a fair way away at this time).

If you require any help especially with building FT designs in the local FB I am willing to help or even build at the same time so after flight testing I can advise you what I needed to do to get it performing as expected. Just PM anytime!

Welcome again!

have fun!

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
Have you considered the Bobbyking 5mm XPS foam board? it doesn't have any paper on it but you can cover it with thin packing tape or the coloured wing tape from Hobbyking. Its very cheap too.

Abe

runfly

try to replace the servo with the same brand as the servos in the plane. or go to motion rc and look up your plane and go to the spare parts page there should be some servos it does not matter if it says rudder aileron elevator

GEORGELCBLACK

try to replace the servo with the same brand as the servos in the plane. or go to motion rc and look up your plane and go to the spare parts page there should be some servos it does not matter if it says rudder aileron elevator
That would be a good option but unfortunately the servo's are part of the receiver circuit board and the bits that are in a stand alone servo are on the RX board.
Thank you anyway for the idea

GEORGELCBLACK

Have you considered the Bobbyking 5mm XPS foam board? it doesn't have any paper on it but you can cover it with thin packing tape or the coloured wing tape from Hobbyking. Its very cheap too.

Abe
That would have made things a bit easier, But I have now gone down the road of making my own foam core. I made a hot wire table, and now have an unlimited supply of blue XPS foam and white polystyrene. and it is about 60% the weight of the DTFB and about 40% of the Aussie board and I think as strong. The first crash will tell