Newbie FT Explorer Motor Questions

FredOfMBOX

I'm having a hard time figuring out all the little details about selecting a power plant for an RC Plane, specifically the FT Explorer. I've built a few quadcopters, but this will be only my second fixed wing after a Tiny Trainer with the power pack A.

The power pack offerings for the FT Explorer don't seem quite right to me for a few reasons, so I'm wondering if I could put something together manually and either save some money or get better performance, or, if I'm *really* lucky, reuse some of my parts from my other machines.

FT info page (filtered down to what I think is relevant) said:
WEIGHT WITHOUT BATTERY: 1.08 lbs (493 g)
WINGSPAN: 57 inches (1447 mm)
RECOMMENDED MOTOR: Park 370 – 425, 1000 kv minimum
RECOMMENDED PROP: 8 x 4.5 slow fly or 9 x 6 APC prop
RECOMMENDED ESC: 20 – 30 amp
RECOMMENDED BATTERY: 2200 mAH 3s minimum

I have some questions.

1) The Park 370-425 seems like a really old motor, and frankly, technology has come a long way in recent years. I know we have more torque and faster RPMs with less draw on modern motors. I see the power pack C comes with Emaxx GT2215/09, but this also seems like an older motor. Should I invest in something that old?

2) I have a bunch of 4S batteries in the 1300-1600 mAH range. I'd love to use these if possible, but I don't think they're appropriate batteries. If they can be used successfully, I'd love to know how. I'm pretty sure I can use the taranis's curves to keep voltage similar to a 3S, but I think mAH are mAH, regardless of voltage, so I probably wouldn't get the runtime.

3) I plan on building at least one more plane (maybe an FT Sea Duck or similar). I'd love to save some money by buying some spare ESCs, motors, props, etc. that I can reuse amongst multiple builds.

I guess I feel like there's probably a modern motor/prop combination that is 4S compatible that will meet or exceed my needs for the FT explorer and extend to other things, and probably be some cost savings over power pack C. Any recommendations?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
A recommended motor is given as a frame of performance reference so help yourself as to the motor you wish to install. Anything will do as long as it is within the performance range of the motors specified.

As for 4S batteries, as long as the ESC and motor you install can handle 4S, help yourself.

Props are given as a reference yet again using a different motor with different kV might recommend a different prop so go with what the motor manufacturer recommends.

If you use your throttle as a valid flight control then fitting a more powerful motor is quite OK and I tend to do so quite often because I find that I can run a high power motor at a lesser throttle setting but I cannot get more than 100% throttle out of a motor which is too feeble for the aircraft in which it is installed.

Whatever you chose to do just ensure that the plane is properly balanced at the indicated CG point and it should fly!

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

Mkaiver93

I also have a similar question. I went With a suggestion for electronics for a Bixler. But then decided against that and built myself an ft explorer. I have a Turnigy D2826-6 2200kv. It looks really small. Do you think this thing will fry with this plane?

Photo001

Before I crashed my latest version of the FT Explorer, I was using a Turnigy Aerodrive SK3536 1200 kv motor with a 9 x 6 x 3 blade prop very successfully. Videos can be seen on HeadBang's (Ryan Pearson) YouTube channel. With a 3300 or 4000 Mah 3s battery I was routinely getting over 15 minute flights along with performance that was not possible using the FT C pack. Alas, that plane had a CFIT recently, but a new one is already in the works. Remember to add a small aluminum stiffener to the main spar in the wing!

Lane

Arcfyre

Elite member
I think the D2836 1100KV would be a better choice for the FT Explorer.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-d2836-8-1100kv-brushless-outrunner-motor.html

I use exactly this motor on mine with a 9x6 prop and it flies OK. Not overly fast or anything, but decent power.

As for using your 1300-1600 4S batteries, have you considered running them in parallel? Paralleling them would give you 2600-3200 4S- ample mAh for the explorer, not to mention it'll help with balance too.

kdobson83

I use a Racerstar 2830 1300kv on 3s with a 9x5 prop. Not a huge motor but it's got great vertical and I get 20 minute flights on a 2200mah when I'm easy on the throttle.
I choose electronics by different factors. In your case, the biggest prop that'll fit the Explorer is a 9" prop. So look for motors that work good with a 9" prop first. You can always go smaller but the bigger the prop the more slow speed torque you'll have. Which is nice for bigger glider style planes like the explorer. Take my motor for example, looking at the specs I saw that it performs best on a 9x5 prop for efficiency and power on 3s. It'll push out 1100+ grams of thrust. The Explorer only weighs 850 grams. So I've got plenty of room to spare for fpv gear or bigger batteries.
Now, you could use a smaller "quad" style motor on 4s since you sound like you already have the electronics. As long as the thrust output is right. I personally don't like have a plane weigh more than the thrust output because I like having that spare power but the scale guys don't mind it. Lol
And lastly, the new FT Radial motors that aren't in the kits yet look awesome. I just got the 2204 for my FliteFest Arrow combat build but I haven't flown it yet. But I hear GREAT things about their radials. Look into their soon to be b-pack radial. Here's the link.
https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-radial-2212b-1050kv-brushless-motor-flt-3034/p846360
Should work great on the explorer.