Help! Newbie "I'm dumb and need help" questions...

PokesPilotWhite

Hello everyone,

Apologies for the following newb questions. Not-so tech savy regional airline pilot here just trying to get into the hobby.

Just re-discovered all things FliteTest and I feel an addiction kicking in. Long story short I have a little prior experience with random ready to fly aircraft throughout the years but I'm hoping to set off on building my first of the swappable series (The Mighty Tutor).

With that being said...what transmitter/receiver combos would you guys recommend. I know Spektrum (DX6E/DXS) is seemingly the gold standard, but through my research have come across other manufacturers like FlySky (FS-i6) that seem to offer a lot of the same things. My goal is to purchase a transmitter with a 10+ model memory that I would be able to program/use for the forceable future on a multitude of different FliteTest builds.

Is it true that you can more or less pair any transmitter/receiver combo with FliteTest swappable builds? Is it also true that all you need to do is buy additional receivers compatible with a multi-model memory transmitter to add to your squadron of builds? Lastly...how difficult is it to "program" and save a model to a transmitter?

Ultimately I would love to find a good "setup" that would set me up for success if I wanted to build multiple models in the future, while also still being able to afford to eat.

Thanks in advance & Blue Skies!

luvmy40

Elite member
Opinions will vary, for sure.

The FlySky, FSi6X with a receiver for $70.00 +/- is by far the most affordable combo. It seems capable, but I have been told that the relative definition/sensitivity/resolution of the control is lacking compared to a higher quality radio.

I am planning to "upgrade" to a RadioMaster TX16XS, Open TX, Multi Protocol radio, which will work with my many FlySky receivers and is, supposedly a better transmitter with Hall effect gimbles for a modest increase in $.

bwarz

Master member
I've got the DX6 and DX8 picked up locally used, but I also have a Taranis x9 Lite and more recently an X9D, both with multiprotocol modules that let me connect them to darned near anything. The Taranis stuff is OpenTX software while the Spektrum stuff is proprietary. I have heard decent things about the RadioMaster (also runs OpenTX) on forums, but have no experience.

OpenTX is a little bit of a learning curve (moreso than the Spektrum, but not that bad) but has a cool software that you can use to configure your models on the PC instead of exclusively on the radio. The Spektrum stuff is solid and relatively easy to pick up, although the cost of the radio and/or receivers is a bit (or in some case quite a bit more than a bit) higher.

Either of these options (any OpenTX radio or the Spektrum stuff) allows you to have many models stored into memory, although an OpenTX system with the multiprotocol module really expands what you can connect to....

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
I started with Spectrum, and there is nothing at all wrong with them, but I wish the Radiomaster TX16 had existed at the time. Look, your going to be dazed and confused with any computer radio, so why not just jump into the deep end? with the TX16 you can bind any of the Spectrum receivers and most of the other brands right out of the box. Add an add-on transmitter, and ,,, sorry,, the skies the limit.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
For the price of a BOTTOM of the line Spektrum transmitter, you can get a good RadioMaster TX16S that will grow with you, is compatible with almost all receivers, and has tons more support in YouTube videos etc.

bwarz

Master member
For the price of a BOTTOM of the line Spektrum transmitter, you can get a good RadioMaster TX16S that will grow with you, is compatible with almost all receivers, and has tons more support in YouTube videos etc.
yes and I probably wouldn't recommend the bottom of the line spektrum. for the price there's surely better stuff available. (again don't discount your local used market....)

PokesPilotWhite

Ok awesome. I’m sure that question has been asked a million plus times so thanks for answering guys. Sounds like the Radiomaster is the way to go.

Just to confirm. OpenTx software should allow you to connect to a multitude of different companies receivers compared to proprietary which will only connect to it’s partner receiver?

Also...rookie question once again, but is there any specific LiPo charger that I need to purchase to be able to safely and successfully charge the LiPo batteries for the aircraft and transmitter?

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Ok awesome. I’m sure that question has been asked a million plus times so thanks for answering guys. Sounds like the Radiomaster is the way to go.

Just to confirm. OpenTx software should allow you to connect to a multitude of different companies receivers compared to proprietary which will only connect to it’s partner receiver?
That is correct. And if you upgrade a RadioMaster TX16S to EdgeTx firmware (free), it gets you touch screen.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Also...rookie question once again, but is there any specific LiPo charger that I need to purchase to be able to safely and successfully charge the LiPo batteries for the aircraft and transmitter?

Good question - SAFELY is the key word. I always parallel charge, and there are good parallel boards out there that tied to a quality charger can keep you SAFELY charged without worries.

https://oscarliang.com/parallel-charging-multiple-lipo/

https://oscarliang.com/hota-s6/

HVB79

This is only half correct.
You need both the correct software AND correct hardware.
Specifically what you want is the RadioMaster TX16S with a built in 4-in-1 module.
The ELRS version will only connect to ELRS receivers. (without an add on module)
Also don't forget to order a battery as they are not included.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I switched from a Spektrum ix12 to RadioMaster TX16S almost a year ago. The ix12 takes almost 5 minutes to boot up. The TX16S boots in 5 seconds. The ix12 is limited to Spektrum’s protocol receivers, greatly limiting my choices. The TX16S does almost everything - even weird protocols from low end RTF models from Amazon or Walmart (ditch the stupid little transmitters that come with such models).