Newbie Needs Help

rperry2000x

Just took out a scratch build for maiden. I threw it and it went vertical immediately, fought with it for about a minute, but couldn't get into level flight. Had to ditch it before it got into bad location. I checked all control surfaces before and after (after getting it out of a tree) and they all looked good. Only damage it took was knocking the motor mount off and busted prop. Any suggestions as to why the immediate climb and wanting to stay vertical?

klaw

I'm guessing your Centre of Gravity was too far backwards. Check your manual/plans for where the CG should be and rearrange your battery to move the balance point to where it belongs.

You might even need to add nose weight (a lead sinker or heavy bolt) if it still won't balance. You're much better off with a slightly nose-heavy plane than a tail-heavy one.

rperry2000x

Yes, it appears you are correct. It is indeed tail-heavy. I had checked the CG during the build, but guess with adding finishing touches...paint and tail drag, it threw the balance off. The battery was already as far forward as it can go, so I added 2 ounces of lead weight to the nose and it is now showing to be a little nose-heavy.

Will take it out and try again in the next day or two. Thank you so much for the help.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
It is always a good idea to take a completed craft fully loaded as if you were going to fly and do a glide test. If the tail hits the ground first then the CG should be adjusted BEFORE actual powered flight.

Thurmond