Newbie once again

rdwooley

Hi, guys here I am, a newbie once again. After 20 years away from the hobby, got a couple of kits from flight test, and am trying to find the time to put them together. I am sure as I go along, I will encounter times to ask for help. As you all know, an RCer can always depend on others for help. Thanks for letting me in.

whackflyer

Master member
Hi, guys here I am, a newbie once again. After 20 years away from the hobby, got a couple of kits from flight test, and am trying to find the time to put them together. I am sure as I go along, I will encounter times to ask for help. As you all know, an RCer can always depend on others for help. Thanks for letting me in.
Welcome! Please share anything RC related, we love to hear about it. If you have questions everyone on here is super helpful so don't be afraid to ask!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forums.
As a former balsa builder, foamboard planes are far tougher. They will take a crash that would have destroyed a balsa plane. Balsa may stronger but it's far more fragile. The impact will shatter balsa, foam will give a little.

KSP_CPA

As a new balsa builder, foamboard planes are far easier to assemble. They will take only a few hours that would have consumed weeks of a balsa build. Balsa may be more beautiful but they take much more time to put together. The time will shatter balsa builders, foam will cause builders to buy more planes.

rdwooley

Thanks, guys. I feel welcome already. Now hope I can get one of those kits together. Spare time is hard to come by, because my wife is almost bed-bound and needs a lot of my time... but she is and always will be worth it.

rdwooley

Welcome to the forums.
As a former balsa builder, foamboard planes are far tougher. They will take a crash that would have destroyed a balsa plane. Balsa may stronger but it's far more fragile. The impact will shatter balsa, foam will give a little.
Yeah I used to build balsa kits exclusively, because back in the 80's when I first started, that's all we had. A crash resulted in many hours to repair. I really look forward to flying some foamboard planes, and Flitetest has made it so easy to get into.

marwen

Greetings for being with us.
images

slowjo

Master member
Welcome, I got back in to flying after 40+ yrs thanks to FT, use your kit to draw out patterns to give you more practice material :cool:

slowjo

Master member
Thanks, guys. I feel welcome already. Now hope I can get one of those kits together. Spare time is hard to come by, because my wife is almost bed-bound and needs a lot of my time... but she is and always will be worth it.
a good woman is hard to find, best keep her happy, : )

Bricks

Master member

Sad to hear this our best wishes for her but just maybe she might like to be involved if she can. Have her come up with paint colors and designs, or gluing plans to foamboard , doing some of the detail work.