Newbie pilot with nutball.

TacomaD

I'm still having some trouble, but also some victories. I'm thinking about building an FT Flyer to learn on instead of the nutball, especially since I haven't been able to get this trimmed out properly and it's pretty banged up. I'm also thinking about trying to build a pusher plane since too many of my crashes seem to be engine-first.

I need to spend more time with a simulator. :)

I cut out most of the time where the plane wasn't on camera.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
TD,

You're getting there!

Yeah, the high polyhedrial of those wingtips can make is swoosh like a skateboarder in a half-pipe -- it is stable, but a handfull all at the same time. The FT flyer should be a good half step down you're looking for and help you build up the "feel" for what a plane should do. The old fogey also seems to be a popular choice for traininer, but I've heard it might be a little underpowered with the 24 gram motors.

Either way, keep up the build-fly-crash-build, and that second step will keep getting longer!

buggyboat

Hi. I learned to fly these things about two months ago. I tried the FT Flyer, but kept busting props. In your video, you are doing way better with the NB than I ever did with the FTF. I went to this http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1685988 and trashed out two of them but I got the controls worked out. Next plane was the F-22. I hardly crash it at all any more. From watching you, you would probably do fine with the F-22. (After a few crashes} :)

Last edited:

JasonEricAnderson

I also tried the nutball first and had a rudder problem that made it nose over to the left right after take off. (launch bank crash x2) After repairing it and taking it out again I managed half a circle, to the left because it still just wanted to go that way and it took another hard hit and the airframe was done for. It was a hard enough hit that it made my powerpod look like a mashed cigarette butt.

I yanked out all my electronics, rebuilt the powerpod and put the servos into a FT Flyer airframe I already had built. I have to say it was a much better experience. On my maiden I didn't have the travel dialed down so it was way touchy but it flew. (see shaky hat cam video below)
WARNING HATCAM VIDEO

This past weekend I adjusted the travel settings on my transmitter and it is AMAZING! It flew like a dream! I can't express how much of a difference there was from what you see in the maiden above. I took the hat cam and slapped it on the bottom of the FT Flyer for this video

WARNING SWOOPING ONBOARD VIDEO - NOT STEADY CAM - NOISY!! (BUT WAS A BLAST TO FLY)

Personally I think the FT Flyer has much better dynamics for a trainer than the Nutball. The Flyer will still do high alpha and the dihedral and tendency to self-right is there but I think the separate and defined rudder and elevator have clearer authority. This weekend was windy both days I flew and while I could 'feel' it with the flyer it wasn't getting the wild rocking sway that I've seen from Nutballs.

Bottom line, I fully recommend switching to the FT Flyer.

My current setup for the Flyer, hope this all helps.
Transmitter:
OrangeRx T-SIX 2.4GHz DSM2 6CH Programmable Transmitter w/10 Model Memory (Mode 2)

Receiver:
OrangeRx R615 Spektrum/JR DSM2 Compatible 6Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver

ESC:
Hobbyking SS Series 18-20A ESC (card programmable) (USA Warehouse)

Battery:
Turnigy 500mAh 3S 20C Lipo Pack (USA Warehouse)

Motor:
D2822/14 Brushless Outrunner 1450kv (USA Warehouse)

Prop: (Bit to big but it works)
Slow Fly Electric Prop 9047SF (4 pc) (USA Warehouse)

Servos:
HXT900 9g / 1.6kg / .12sec Micro Servo (USA Warehouse)

Other:
Linkage stoppers on the servos, speed clevis on control rods, DIY control horns

Hat cam/Onboard cam:
Turnigy KeyChain Camera w/o memory card (USA Warehouse)

The FT Flyer after Poly coating and a quick spray paint. After this I installed the servos, control rods, control horns and powerpod.
13 - 1.jpg

UPDATED:
I've written up a full parts list with links and prices over on my blog.

Last edited:

buggyboat

Jason, Thanks for the links! I am still trying to figure it all out. When someone posts a combo that works, it sure helps out.

JasonEricAnderson

I'm so hooked on this FT Flyer setup I'm pricing out a whole second setup. I want to get some of my friends hooked on the hobby as well so I'm going to build out another FT Flyer with a basic radio setup and painted super visible orange. This way I can have a whole second rig that I can use to introduce them to the hobby and if I just want to give it to them I can.

TacomaD

Thanks for all of the replies.I fully expected to crash a lot, so inn not too frustrated yet. At least I have a place to fly that is nearby and fairly secluded so I don't have a lot of observers for my very short flights. :)

TacomaD

I took my FT Flyer out today and got it into the air. On the second flight I thought I lost it when I couldn't turn it (I think the throws were set too low) and it flew behind a tree and out of sight, but I recovered it. I didn't get any decent video of it flying, so there's no video to share.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Shame about the vid, but Congrats on the flight!

. . . and try to keep it in view. I've *never* been that lucky -- For me, if a plane went out of sight, it wasn't flying the next time I saw it!

lostcity

TD,

You're getting there!

Yeah, the high polyhedrial of those wingtips can make is swoosh like a skateboarder in a half-pipe -- it is stable, but a handfull all at the same time. The FT flyer should be a good half step down you're looking for and help you build up the "feel" for what a plane should do. The old fogey also seems to be a popular choice for traininer, but I've heard it might be a little underpowered with the 24 gram motors.

Either way, keep up the build-fly-crash-build, and that second step will keep getting longer!

I noticed the power issue when I did the maiden on my Old Fogey. I had to run it at full throttle for most of the flight with a Blue Wonder 1200Kv and 2s battery pack. A 3S pack and bigger prop seemed to help but I am wondering if the Blue Wonder is maybe too small a motor.

William A

Billy did it....
If ya like some help getting started dont hold back just ask.

Would enjoy helping you get started,,, parkland hobbies will vouch for me,,, tell Jon Will sent ya.

RCgroups user name the same.

Last edited:

TacomaD

Thanks. I might take you up on that whenever I get something back in the air. I'm grounded for now, and figured I'd wait until the weather gets nicer before rebuilding.

If ya like some help getting started dont hold back just ask.

Would enjoy helping you get started,,, parkland hobbies will vouch for me,,, tell Jon Will sent ya.

RCgroups user name the same.