newbie question about FT Explorer

sagamore

Good morning from France.

I've download plan of FT Expoler.
This plane seems me good for learning.
I've some lessons in club and I've Phoenix RC.

I've made some plane in Depron : Izikraft , Ultimate Trainer , Cessna Paper Replika and Cherockee Pare Replika and Polikarpof I16 from TDM. But I'm not able to to fly and I search a plane for my first time up.
So I think FT Explorer is a good choice for beginning.

I want to find an electric motor and a good propeler ( I've ESC 30A , 2200mAh Lipo and Turnigy Tx Rx ) ? How many Watts and KV and for propeler ?

Thank you.

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
Something in the 2212 1050kv or 2218 1180kv range will work nicely. When you build the power pod for it do a trial fit on the plane with the prop your going to use before gluing it together. There are a couple of things they've changed over the years and the build video is out dated as a result.

sagamore

Thank you for your answer.
And now a last question about propeler. I must use a CCW propeler ? Or a simple propeler is good ?

Thank you.

Flyingshark

Master member
I just flip the prop so numbers are facing forwards and change the direction of the motor (if necessary)
When I did that building the FT Long EZ, my prop kept unscrewing the nut and flying off. I probably didn't tighten it enough though.

Timmy

Legendary member
When I did that building the FT Long EZ, my prop kept unscrewing the nut and flying off. I probably didn't tighten it enough though.
yeah you have to get a special motor and nut with a backwards thread or do what I do and tigntent it very, very, very, very, hard.

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
I just flip the prop so numbers are facing forwards and change the direction of the motor (if necessary)
I've done that out of necessity and it's success depends largely on the style of prop mount. The best luck I've had doing that is with a quad type motor that uses a nylon lock nut, works really well and it doesn't seem to matter whether it's right or left thread.