Newbie Question - Do I have a CG Problem?

mariog7

Hello, All.

Just put 3 packs through my Carbon Cub S+ this morning. I did the CG test as described in the manual, and all checks out fine. However, I think I’m nose heavy becuase:

-When I switch out of SAFE mode to Expert, the plane wants to nose dive (at full throttle, half, etc). Is this normal? Shouldn’t the plane fly straight without elevator input (of course, after trimming). But it’s so far out that I can’t trim aggressively enough. Also, I observe that even in SAFE mode / GPS the plane seem to be struggling keeping the nose up

-Can’t land without flipping over. 100% of every land the nose is always down so it ends up with the prop hitting the ground and flipping over
-Can’t take off in the grass (only pavement) because the prop constantly hits the ground

Everyone says the Carbon Cub balances easy, but I’m using the extra large 2200mah batteries, not standard 1300, so to go further back I would have to cut into the styrofoam.

Please help! Many thanks!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Before you make any changes to the CG, you must get the plane trimmed to fly straight and level. If you have used all of the trim from the Tx, you need to adjust the length of the control rod.

Set the plane on something solid, so the plane can’t move. Turn everything on and put it in expert mode. Measure the distance from the tip of the elevator to the surface it’s sitting on. I just make a mark on a stick. Move the trim back to neutral, then give it 3-4 more clicks. Now adjust the length of the control rod so the elevator is back at the original measurement. Then go fly, you have just gained back your trim.

You may need to repeat this process, depending on how far out of trim you are.

mariog7

Before you make any changes to the CG, you must get the plane trimmed to fly straight and level. If you have used all of the trim from the Tx, you need to adjust the length of the control rod.

Set the plane on something solid, so the plane can’t move. Turn everything on and put the in expert mode. Measure the distance from the tip of the elevator to the surface it’s sitting on. I just make a mark on a stick. Move the trim back to neutral, then give it 3-4 more clicks. Now adjust the length of the control rod so the elevator is back at the original measurement. Then go fly, you have just gained back your trim.

You may need to repeat this process, depending on how far out of trim you are.
Thanks for the input. I know what you’re saying, but the elevator looks even at center. And I even tried full trim up at the airfield (aggressive) and still have this problem

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
You can try moving the CG back in 1/4" increments, testing each time, until you get the CG right.
I always try CG forward and back a bit, depending on the plane. Recommended CG isn't always correct.
When it flies the way you like, mark the battery position. Do that for each battery you use.

mariog7

You can try moving the CG back in 1/4" increments, testing each time, until you get the CG right.
I always try CG forward and back a bit, depending on the plane. Recommended CG isn't always correct.
When it flies the way you like, mark the battery position. Do that for each battery you use.
Thanks! Just removed some foam and brought the battery back a bit and going to the field in a few mins