Newbie question on Servos

talls6

Hello,

this is a really newbie question. I know that Transmitters and receivers need to be the same brand or compatible, but to Servos need to be of the same brand as the receiver? On the videos I see them using a 5 gram or 9 gram servo. Are all servos "rated" like that? Just trying to wrap my head around this as I go further down the rabbit hole. I am presuming you would want to keep the same brand of servos on 1 aircraft and not mix and match? Thanks for any advice.

Darren

JTarmstr

Elite member
Hello,

this is a really newbie question. I know that Transmitters and receivers need to be the same brand or compatible, but to Servos need to be of the same brand as the receiver? On the videos I see them using a 5 gram or 9 gram servo. Are all servos "rated" like that? Just trying to wrap my head around this as I go further down the rabbit hole. I am presuming you would want to keep the same brand of servos on 1 aircraft and not mix and match? Thanks for any advice.

Darren

1, as far as I know, the brand doesnt matter as long as the right connecter is in place. 2: 5 or 9 gram servo is the weight of the servo I have them from 9 gram to 46 grams and all this really means is how heavy they are. I have mixed and matched servos on my airplanes, and it doent seem to be much of a problem as long as you dont have different servos on the same control surface (ailerons, dual rudders, etc.). I suggest checking out the Ft video on servos here

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
All servos withholding work with all transmitters of the same standard.
The three wires carry ground, positive power (usually 5v or thereabouts) and a signal which is pulse width modulated. Very basic and compatible.
There are other servo standards, including higher voltage ones and ones that use an SBUS type of signal but these are generally high end and expensive.