Newbie question...

mmonti

I am trying to build my first FT210 and I saw that in the FliteTest store they are selling a power pack (https://store.flitetest.com/e-pack-2205-2300kv-better/). In the details i see the description of the motors says:

(4) Motors - 2205 2300 Emax (CW Threaded)

My question is... do the pack has 2 CW motors and 2 CCW? or just 4 CW?
I guess that it is 2 CW and 2 CCW since it also says:

NOTE: For a Quad Copter you need to have a set of two CCW spinning props and 2 CW spinning props

I just want to make sure that I understand how this works... :)

Thanks.
M.-

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
The only difference between CW and CCW motors is the threading on the shaft. This is to prevent them coming loose from motor torque when using standard prop nuts. To simplify things, the FT powerpacks are all CW threaded, and use nylock nuts so no worries about them coming loose in flight.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
The only difference between CW and CCW motors is the threading on the shaft. This is to prevent them coming loose from motor torque when using standard prop nuts. To simplify things, the FT powerpacks are all CW threaded, and use nylock nuts so no worries about them coming loose in flight.
So are all their prop shafts left handed threads?

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Prop shafts are smooth, most of them don't have threads as far as I know. It's the nut you put on top that locks them in.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Oh Balu. Doesn't the nut screw down onto something? Isn't that something threaded? Isn't that threaded something a shaft upon which the prop sits?

How does German engineering fasten props to motors without threaded shaft?:p

Ich hoffe, mein verspielter Sarkasmus ist nicht beleidigend.
—Jim

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
They are standard threaded, lefty loosie righty tighty ;)
Thank you. The reason I asked is because I ordered three identical motors from HK (all Cw I think) and then realized the threads were all left hand screws (lefty tighty). Fortunately they provided nylock nuts but if I lose one it'll be a bit harder to replace than a more common right threaded nut.

If there's one i find frustrating, it's being on hold for simple things.

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hey guys,
Just wanted to chime in ;)

Our MultiRotor power packs (E packs) all have the same rotating motors. Also, like David said, it all works around the lock nut. The lock nut does not care which way it rotates etc... it locks it down and you do not have to worry about props flying off...
Also, you def need two CW and two CCW props. And as long as you have those prop nutes(which the 2205 emax red bottoms COME WITH EM) you are golden! ;)

Blessings guys,
Stefan

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Thank you. The reason I asked is because I ordered three identical motors from HK (all Cw I think) and then realized the threads were all left hand screws (lefty tighty). Fortunately they provided nylock nuts but if I lose one it'll be a bit harder to replace than a more common right threaded nut.

If there's one i find frustrating, it's being on hold for simple things.

I hear that :) I tend to over-order when I shop at HK, just in case...

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Oh Balu. Doesn't the nut screw down onto something? Isn't that something threaded? Isn't that threaded something a shaft upon which the prop sits?

How does German engineering fasten props to motors without threaded shaft?:p

German engineers sometimes misunderstand words in a foreign language. Also, I'm not an engineer, but I'd guess we'd just glue them on. Since we never crash, we don't have to replace them anyway.

For some reason I thought you were talking about the mounting hole in the prop, not the motor shaft you put the prop on :) (it was pretty late in the evening too when I replied, so I just say I was too tired to think correctly...)