Newbie questions, anyone up for the challenge ? :)

Spalxy

well ... my advice would be to go with the livechat, it seems to work and (almost) every time i have needed them the livechat has been there for me. The helpdesk (email) has never worked for me though, never received a reply on any of my queries :)

Last edited:

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Help desk works great. ;) Once you have resolved the issue through live chat the help desk responds with the same answer.:rolleyes:

Thurmond

Spalxy

Well, just checked ... mine never got replied :) just sitting there ... alone and forgotten :D

I was going through the quadcopter tutorial videos on youtube today and as always i saw something i didnt notice before. Do you a need a separate ESC (5-th) just for the RX ? By the way, here is what i've ordered so far from HK for my quadcopter build ...

HobbyKing Quadcopter Frame V1 (link)
Hobby King 30A ESC 3A UBEC (link)
D2830-11 1000kv Brushless Motor (link)
Turnigy nano-tech 5000mah 3S 35~70C Lipo Pac (link)
HobbyKing Multi-Rotor Control Board V2.1 (link)
Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A Balancer/Charger (link)

GWS HD8040 3 Blade Prop - CW and CCW
9047SF Combo (9047SF & R9047SF) - CW and CCW
Simple Prop Balancer

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Do you a need a separate ESC (5-th) just for the RX ?

Not really. The ESC's can still power up the KKboard through the throttle channel. It has been noted, however, that some receivers take too long to boot up, so that you can't set the throttle endpoints correctly. Then it is needed to jumpstart the receiver.

nibnobsam

I like big leccy planes
Mentor
Not really. The ESC's can still power up the KKboard through the throttle channel. It has been noted, however, that some receivers take too long to boot up, so that you can't set the throttle endpoints correctly. Then it is needed to jumpstart the receiver.

Just plug the throttle on each ESC directly into the receiver throttle channel to set them. You can't set the end points through the KKboard because you need to arm it before it passes the throttle signal through to the ESCs.

Spalxy

Is this done only once when i assemble the quad ? I still dont quite get the esc's function and what exactly i need to do to them before i can fly my quad ... :)

By the way ... i'm currently devided ... i found a local hobby store that sells the Turnigy 9x and have it on stock ... i found a used Spektrum dx6i with batteries and a receiver on a local forum, for about the same price as the Turnigy (about $135) ... what would you advice me ? I'm still wondering if i should wait for HobbyKing to release the 9x and get it from there (about $90 with shipping).

Spalxy

Just heard that the Turnigy 9x will be discontinued by HobbyKing ... does someone have any additional info on that ?
Just yesterday i received a mail from HK, that they've had the 9x in stock (guess for a short while), which doesnt make sense if they are going to discontinue it ?

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
The Dx6i is a good quality programmable radio with awesome support available from Horizon Hobby
Had not heard the rumors about the 9x being discontinued...

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I haven't been anywhere near a 9X but I can't say enough good things about spektrum and the support from horizon hobby. I hear all kinds of complaints about spektrum products, but I haven't experienced any of it nor have any of my friends that fly and we nearly all have spektrum DX5's, DX6i's DX7's or DX8's.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Just heard that the Turnigy 9x will be discontinued by HobbyKing ... does someone have any additional info on that ?
Just yesterday i received a mail from HK, that they've had the 9x in stock (guess for a short while), which doesnt make sense if they are going to discontinue it ?

I don't think they're discontinuing their best-selling product. They have disabled the backorders on it though. Can't BK anymore.

Spalxy

Yes, i noticed you cant backorder it anymore, hence i share your opinion that they wont discontinue something that sells so good. I'll have the money for the tx/rx in the end of the month, so then i'll decide what to do :) i have a stock alert set up, so i'll know when they have it in just a few minutes ... hopefully i can get my turn on the "add to cart" button :)

By the way ... does anyone know if the "Air Parcel" shipping is faster than the "International (Registered) Air Mail" ? The postage tables shows they should be faster, but so far my tracking number still doesnt work and its been 7 days since my package was shipped ... Hongkong post sucks :(

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Yes, i noticed you cant backorder it anymore, hence i share your opinion that they wont discontinue something that sells so good. I'll have the money for the tx/rx in the end of the month, so then i'll decide what to do :) i have a stock alert set up, so i'll know when they have it in just a few minutes ... hopefully i can get my turn on the "add to cart" button :)

By the way ... does anyone know if the "Air Parcel" shipping is faster than the "International (Registered) Air Mail" ? The postage tables shows they should be faster, but so far my tracking number still doesnt work and its been 7 days since my package was shipped ... Hongkong post sucks :(

I wouldn't pay extra for that. Actually I think it depends on the size of the box, but my Bixler came with parcel and took four weeks, but International (R) Air Mail has gotten down to 21 days.

Spalxy

well it was just $2 more ... so i gave it a try, thought it would be faster. I didnt know they would use hongkong post for that as well, i would have used the cheapest option. My previous orders took exactly 14 days (using registered international air mail) to arrive, will see how the Air Parcel goes :) if it arrives a few days sooner, i'll use it again :)

By the way, just got some info about the Turnigy 9x today ... a livechat operator told me they have 85 orders left on backorder, and hopefully by the end of the month they might have actual on stock ones ... full of joy, i'll save a few bucks on the tx/rx system ... might order a few more accessories from HK with the remote :)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
By the way, just got some info about the Turnigy 9x today ... a livechat operator told me they have 85 orders left on backorder, and hopefully by the end of the month they might have actual on stock ones ... full of joy, i'll save a few bucks on the tx/rx system ... might order a few more accessories from HK with the remote :)

Well, that's weird, they don't allow backorders for the Turnigy 9X, and the existing backorders should have been cleared by now.

Spalxy

Guys, finally got my hands on a Turnigy 9x :)

TX-9X-M2 Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter w/ Module & 8ch R... Reserved

now still waiting for the frame to arrive so that i can start assembling :)

Spalxy

The frame arrived yesterday ... so after a few hours last night and today, here is what i have :)
IMAG1500.jpg

hopefully i will get the 9x next week and my build will be complete ... then i will be able to start testing and configuring :)