Newbie questions, anyone up for the challenge ? :)

Spalxy

As this is my first post, i will take the opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Lyubomir, i'm from Sofia, Bulgaria and i'm 28 years old. I work as a web programmer and designer.

Now for the question part :)
I am very new to this, hence during the last 2 months i have been reading about the hobby extensively and have decided to build a quadcopter. I've already received most of the parts, but i'm yet to order a transmitter, which has become a big dilemma for me and this is why decided to seek help here (after noone at rcgroups wants to help :( ).

I'm not sure what budget i have for the remote, i was looking at the Turnigy 9x, but that thing has never gone in stock since i've been looking around for parts, and they just recently increased the price (even though the current price is still a bargain) so i've been looking around for something still nice but relatively cheap. I was planing to spend about $50 for a remote, but a friend of mine advised me to invest more in a remote so that i can use it in future if i decide to get more planes, boats or cars ... so, what would you recommend for around $100 (i can throw a few extra bucks if its worth it).

By the way, i'm a big fan of the show, greets to both Josh's and Chad, big fan of your work guys :)

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Unless you are ordering a 9X and wait for it to be delivered -
Choose the 6 ch Spektrum or Futaba and you will not need to worry about service or getting something that will be obsolete in the near future.
Many people tell that Spektrum has extra ordinary good service but i guess Futaba as one of the oldest brands on the market also has very good service and support. Both brands has "pirate" receivers so the price for expanding to more planes/helis are not worse than with any other brand.
Both systems are having really avdvanced "big brothers" with 12 and 18 channels. If you are getting more advanced later you can keep your existing equipment if you want to get a high end TX.

If you can afford even more than the selection expands to Multiplex, Hitec and other brands with a long history.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I'm not sure what budget i have for the remote, i was looking at the Turnigy 9x, but that thing has never gone in stock since i've been looking around for parts, and they just recently increased the price (even though the current price is still a bargain) so i've been looking around for something still nice but relatively cheap. I was planing to spend about $50 for a remote, but a friend of mine advised me to invest more in a remote so that i can use it in future if i decide to get more planes, boats or cars ... so, what would you recommend for around $100 (i can throw a few extra bucks if its worth it)

Yes, it is on backorder all the time. However, they are catching up with stock now. They had 1120 backorders in December, now they only have 420. That is for Mode 2.

Mode 1 will most probably be in stock when they get a shipment, and there is a quick mod you can do to switch it to Mode 2.

In case you don't know what mode 1 and 2 are, mode one has throttle (motor power) on the right stick, and mode 2 has throttle on the left stick.

You might want to check with your local flying places to see if they use mode 1 or mode 2.

Spalxy

Thanks for the reply guys,

pgerts, the Spektrum DX6i transmitter is about $150 second hand ... and this is without the receiver, which is more than i want to spend for a tx/rx system. I'm afraid to check the prices on the Futaba ones :D

colorex, thanks for clarifying the modes, hence i found out how they go a while ago when i started looking around for a rx/tx system :)
I already have almost all parts for the build, so the quad will be ready by the end of March ... when do you expect HK might have the 9x on stock ?
I found it has 2 alternatives/copies ... the FlySky TH9x and the CopterX CT9A, which are a bit more expensive than the Turnigy , but they are in stock and can be ordered immediately ... though they are still far cheaper than most other remotes with similar capabilities on the market :)

I've been looking at Walkera's transmitters as well, any thoughts on them ?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
colorex, thanks for clarifying the modes, hence i found out how they go a while ago when i started looking around for a rx/tx system :)
I already have almost all parts for the build, so the quad will be ready by the end of March ... when do you expect HK might have the 9x on stock ?
I found it has 2 alternatives/copies ... the FlySky TH9x and the CopterX CT9A, which are a bit more expensive than the Turnigy , but they are in stock and can be ordered immediately ... though they are still far cheaper than most other remotes with similar capabilities on the market :)

FlySky, Eurgle, and iMax are other names for the same transmitter. There is an upgrade for it called V2 which comes default with the Turnigy firmware.

If you are in a hurry, there are some ebayers making money selling the 9x for a bit more. The current price of the 9X, has leveled it out with the other brand names, costing around $80 shipped.

The Turnigy comes in stock around once or twice a month. If you subscribe to email notification, you have a chance to get a Mode 1 on the next incoming batch. It'll be in stock for around 5-10 hours and then it'll go backorder again. (unless HK does some magic)

Here is the video that'll show you how to change mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvB32X4e9VM

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Oh, did I say expect quite some time for the shipping from HobbyKing. If you buy it when it is in stock, it may take less than a week to pack and ship it, then it will take around three weeks in transit. You'll get a tracking number so you'll know where the package is.

Spalxy

colorex thanx for the video, didnt know it was possible to convert the mode. Looks simple enough :)

Actually all the 9x offers i saw on ebay were quite expensive, $120,$130 and more ... that brings it in the Spektrum DX6i territory.
You've got me interested in the mode1 transmitter, i have a notifier setup on the mode2 one ... but never had a mail for it :) guess its quite the remote for its price :)
By the way, inside the clip they have a lipo battery inside the transmitter, i though they ran on AA batteries ? Should i order a lipo with the transmitter as well ?

By the way, i already have 2 orders with HK ... noticed how "lightning fast" they are ... thought there was a problem with my orders the first time, as they shipped them after 10 days of processing :)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
By the way, inside the clip they have a lipo battery inside the transmitter, i though they ran on AA batteries ? Should i order a lipo with the transmitter as well ?

I ordered a special LiPo for my JR transmitter. I now have unlimited Tx time. (upgrading from NiCd 600mAh to 2650mAh!)

This is the battery I used, it has a special plug for my Tx (I had to mod the plug slightly to fit, my Tx is old.)

You can use any LiPo that fits, or get the same on that I did, which is designed for 2x2x2 battery arrangement:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16529__Turnigy_2650mAh_3S_1C_LLF_Tx_Pack_Futaba_JR_.html

However, please read this excellent article first about changing the battery in your Tx.

If you decide to use a LiPo, remember that the charging must be done on an appropiate LiPo balance charger.

Also important, Check the polarity several times before plugging in the battery!Wrong polarity could burn your radio (there is a fix, but not for beginners.)

One disadvantage of using liPo for the Tx is that you must not forget to turn the Tx off after flying. If you don't turn it off, it could overdischarge and damage the LiPo. My Tx beeps at 9 volts, which is absolutely must-turn-off for a LiPo.

IMG_1760.jpg

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I didn't see it mentioned so I'll throw it in there. Other than the new anylink system from tactic, the only radio that will give the option of bind n fly planes (BNF) is the Spektrum. The Tactic anylink is a system that adds onto about half a dozen other radio brands to fly a handful of RTF (ready to fly) planes. The BNF planes from Horizon Hobby have been a huge success for them. Most everyone I know has a BNF plane or five with their Spektrum radio. Futaba doesn't offer this and like I said, only the Anylink planes that places like Tower Hobbies sell are similar.

If you are looking for an easy way to expand your fleet later with some really cool planes/helis, the Spektrum gives you that option to buy RTF planes/helis and not even having to buy another receiver. You will have to spend about 150 for the transmitter unless you can find one used.

I would suggest finding a local club if you have one and seeing what they have. If you can find someone with a DX7, DX8, DX10 or DX18 they might have upgraded from a DX6 that they'd be willing to part with for a lower price.

The Futaba systems are rock solid and well known world wide. You pay a bit more for them usually, but there are great values there too. Personally I fly Spektrum so the Futaba's are harder for me to understand with the programming. My brother flies Futaba and Spektrum is greek to him.

I don't have any experience with any other systems but there's a lot of people on here who fly the Turnigy 9x and love it.

Here's a sample of the BNF planes that are available to you if you go Spektrum.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/browse/...kw=/:st=bestseller/:ct=38/:sp=0/:cp=1/:ip=9/:
I counted 37 because one is discontinued. Here's the BNF Heli's.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/browse/...kw=/:st=bestseller/:ct=11/:sp=0/:cp=1/:ip=9/:
I counted 9 and a quad copter, 1 is discontinued.

Here's the Anylink compatible planes I could find.
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/txr_airplanes/index.html

So far they have twelve models. Horizon loves these BNF planes and come out with about 1 a month. Hobbico just started this so I am sure there's plenty more on the way.

Of course, if you aren't into either of these things, all the radio systems you mentioned have more than enough capability for your quadcopter.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Really, for inexpensive, RELIABLE transmitters, you're going to be limited to the Turnigy 9x, Eurgle, Flysky etc, or a Spektrum DX6i or Futaba equivalent. You really don't want to go cheap in this area. Planes will come and go but the Tx will be the constant in your RC life lol.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Really, for inexpensive, RELIABLE transmitters, you're going to be limited to the Turnigy 9x, Eurgle, Flysky etc, or a Spektrum DX6i or Futaba equivalent. You really don't want to go cheap in this area. Planes will come and go but the Tx will be the constant in your RC life lol.

Agreed. I bit the bullet and went to a DX8. I don't need all those channels yet, but I'm quickly going that direction. Glad I've got it. Now I have a lot more options in scratch building.

Spalxy

Thanks for the replies guys.
Seems like i'll give it a little wait for the Turnigy, if it doesnt go in stock within the next month or two, i'll go with a Spectrum dx6 ... it will be a bigger investment, but i hope it would be worth it :)
Unfortunately this hobby is a bit rare here in Bulgaria and i found 2 forums with not a lot of people inside, so finding something to buy on a local ground will be a hard job :)

Spalxy

today HK made me very happy ... they processed my latest order for under 48 hours. If service was always like this, i would never shop anywhere else :)

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I just tried to place my tenth order and now it's telling me they don't ship to Alaska. I don't know which ten months of the year they get it right, but those months seem to move around and dodge me.

Spalxy

Did you get the 9X in this order?
Nope ... no budget for it this month ... it will set me back about $100 (have some additional items to order), now i ordered the frame and some props ... all that is left is the transmitter and some wiring harnesses :cool: . Will order it in April ... hopefully i'll get it by June :D I'm still considering the mode2 one ... i'm afraid to fiddle with a brand new transmitter to make the conversion from mode1 to 2 :rolleyes:

I just tried to place my tenth order and now it's telling me they don't ship to Alaska. I don't know which ten months of the year they get it right, but those months seem to move around and dodge me.
How did you place your first 9 orders then ? :)

Last edited:

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
That's what I'm trying to figure out. I am deciding if I want to go through the hassle of dealing with their customer service or just stop going there. I think I'll email them and hold my breath :rolleyes: