Newbie saying hello and a couple of questions

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Thankfully I've been vaping for many many years, so I'm familiar with charging the 18650s they use, and what a bad battery looks like. At least with those though, the only covering is a thin film and any bulges are easily recognizable. I would think that in some of these 3 and 4 cells, unless it's an obvious bulge, you may not be able to see it due to the tight and thick outer coating these seem to have. I will be buying a charging bag for sure. Thanks for the heads up though.

LOL trust me, you'll be able to see bulges and dents fairly easily, especially if you have a good battery next to it.

Here's an example:

2200 lipos.jpg

Brianna81

For everybody who has been following my first venture into RC, and seen my lovely charger drama, I'm thinking of getting this charger once my refund comes through. It's more money, but not horrible expensive. Brand new this time instead of open box, and dual charging too. Now I just have to figure out batteries for my transmitter as these cheapo harbor freight AA's I had on hand don't seem to last too long in the el cheapo F949 transmitter, so I doubt they'll last at all in the FS-i6 I got lol. Will be researching more on here, will likely go with rechargeable nicads or something. Would be nice if they had lipos that fit into the AA spots that we could charge on the regular charger instead of having a separate charger for Tx and airplane :) I'll see what previous threads have said though. Any thoughts on this charger though?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/222994132024

FDS

Elite member
More expensive transmitters have full provision to run lipo or their own Nimh. If you buy cheaper ones there has to be a compromise somewhere, I just keep feeding my basic TX cheaper alkaline AA’s. There’s plenty of good discharge tests if you want to see which brands perform best.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
For everybody who has been following my first venture into RC, and seen my lovely charger drama, I'm thinking of getting this charger once my refund comes through. It's more money, but not horrible expensive. Brand new this time instead of open box, and dual charging too. Now I just have to figure out batteries for my transmitter as these cheapo harbor freight AA's I had on hand don't seem to last too long in the el cheapo F949 transmitter, so I doubt they'll last at all in the FS-i6 I got lol. Will be researching more on here, will likely go with rechargeable nicads or something. Would be nice if they had lipos that fit into the AA spots that we could charge on the regular charger instead of having a separate charger for Tx and airplane :) I'll see what previous threads have said though. Any thoughts on this charger though?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/222994132024

If you can, invest in some Eneloop rechargeable AA’s and a charger for them. I did that with a DX6 I had; they used AA batteries, although I could have switched out to a Lipo battery for it, the Eneloop rechargeable batteries for 8 batteries and a charger was less than a lipo battery that would have worked with the radio. I bought mine at Costco; it was either $25 or $30, and they work REALLY well at keeping a charge. I usually have a set charging so I can swap them out before I go to the field to fly. Those Harbor Freights just don’t have a good charge, and you’ll find yourself going through them like they’re candy.

Amazon’s supposed to have comparable AA rechargeable batteries that last hundreds of charges and are not outrageous if you need to replace them; I haven’t personally tried them, but i’ve Seen tons of reviews from places like Consumer reports and Gizmodo that place them as a solid contender behind the Eneloops.

Brianna81

So, I got my FS-i6 in the mail. Didn't come with a bind key for either of the receivers it came with, but, for the price, I figure I can either make/get one. I did however learn how to bind it to my F949, and learn a little about the FS-i6. I had to reverse both rudder and elevators. Then I leaned it's got much less "forgiveness" than the transmitter that came with the 949. It was actually too windy out, so I gave up shortly after starting. That might have had something to do with it as well. But it actually was better than the original transmitter. The FS-i6 takes 4 batteries to the original's 6 batteries too, so that could be a plus too. Though it did seem like I had to re-bind it every time :/. I tested it at my house before I left, thinking it was bound for when I got to the field. Nope, had to re-bind it when I got there. Ahhh well, at least the other settings were saved for that airplane, another thing I leaned how to do. Will have to set some expo though so I can build in some "forgiveness". Although once I got used to how much different it was, I was mostly keeping it in the air. That wind was a learning experience for sure. Better to learn that now though.

On the plus side, that electric motor kit from eBay apparently also came with a prop saver. I haven't broken a prop yet, but I know it's just a matter of time. May see if that saver will fit on the 949 until I get my own DIY plane built.

Attachments

• IMG_20190428_174538.jpg
    IMG_20190428_174538.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
It sounds like your steadily working your way through the learning process @Brianna81. My Turnigy used AAs and I ended up getting some recharables and a charger at Walmart for it. No problems thus far, though in fairness I don't have a whole lot of air time with it. Several flights at the most.

If you are used to flying with expo and then went to no expo, it would seem very unforgiving indeed, because truthfully it is. I've been flying at 100% and have nearly as many crashes as I do flights. Enough so that I'm actually thinking about setting up dual rates with expo on one rate just to try it out on my next flight. (Shhh. Don't tell anyone. :sneaky:)

I'm afraid I can't help with the binding issue. That is handled completely differently on my Turnigy and Taranis than it is on yours. As to the prop savers? Everything I've seen says they work great. The problem is they are always out of stock everywhere. If it's working and saving your props, then you are blessed, indeed!

Keep it up @Brianna81! You're doing it. :)

Brianna81

Ok, so after my last charger debacle, I went ahead and got the Hitec RDX-1 charger that FT sells (I did get it on eBay, I saved some money that way). However, this is from a RC hobby seller and not a discount anything/everything seller like the last person was. The only reason I went with this one instead of the FT was FT wanted $14 for a lead kit, and this one came with the xt-60 I plan on making my primary connector style for my DIY planes I'm going to build. And I got a fireproof bag as well. The "lunch box" style where it's a cube zip up type seemed to be the best in video reviews on YouTube where they did fire tests. So, after this, I just need to get to building :). Just wanted to pass this on, we'll see how things go once I get it all put together at some point.

On another note, I have a co-worker who has a large printer who's willing to print some plans for me for next to nothing, so, that should be pretty cool too :) :)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Good for you, @Brianna81! A good LiPo bag is a must, if for nothing else than piece of mind. It's good for that because bad things happen. Charging a LiPo in a fireproof container is just one less bad thing we have to worry about.

I like that you're standardizing on the XT60 so early. Others (such as myself) wish we done that from the get go, and now have to purchase and solder XT60 connectors to everything. Though I did cheat and get some XT30 to XT60 adapters.

Another one a lot of us seem to be standardizing is the 3.5mm gold bullet bananna plug type connecters. I'm not suggesting you purchase them from here, but these are what I'm talking about:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113664771793

They make a solid connection and seem to pass current really well.

I hope all goes will with your charger this time. Because now it's time to build and fly! I can't wait to see you in the air. :)

Brianna81

Very short badly filmed clip of a little loop and low pass from earlier today on the WLToys F949. I found flying much higher than I normally do is a lot easier, especially in the wind lol. Though this thing is so slow, it feels like it's basically standing still while it climbs. I learned a couple of things though. I can do a downward spiral to gain speed to straighten out into a loop. Looks pretty cool. Then spend another 3 minutes climbing back up again lol. I think I also discovered something maybe like a rudder stall. When I was flying with the wind I'm the direction the wind was blowing, and it was going at the same speed my plane was, my rudder was absolutely useless lol. Had to wait for a gust to blow it a little sideways or nose down a little too pick up some speed to then turn. I'm guessing that's something that nothing except RC planes really have to worry about, since some of the basic ones are so slow. Was interesting to experience though :)

Charger is still being shipped, so, nothing new on that front. Hope it gets here soon so I can start piecing together everything else I'll need to start building!

Vimana89

Legendary member
N

Very short badly filmed clip of a little loop and low pass from earlier today on the WLToys F949. I found flying much higher than I normally do is a lot easier, especially in the wind lol. Though this thing is so slow, it feels like it's basically standing still while it climbs. I learned a couple of things though. I can do a downward spiral to gain speed to straighten out into a loop. Looks pretty cool. Then spend another 3 minutes climbing back up again lol. I think I also discovered something maybe like a rudder stall. When I was flying with the wind I'm the direction the wind was blowing, and it was going at the same speed my plane was, my rudder was absolutely useless lol. Had to wait for a gust to blow it a little sideways or nose down a little too pick up some speed to then turn. I'm guessing that's something that nothing except RC planes really have to worry about, since some of the basic ones are so slow. Was interesting to experience though :)

Charger is still being shipped, so, nothing new on that front. Hope it gets here soon so I can start piecing together everything else I'll need to start building!
Nice flying! Low passes and wide loops, pretty audacious but you did it clean👍. You seem to have a lot of fairly unobstructed space out there, which is definitely helpful.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Also, I have a WL toys sky king I haven't touched since the first time I flew it and crashed it into a yard because I had no directional control. I'm not sure if the rudder was broken because it barely moved, and it was tiny to begin with. If that model has a similar weight to power plant ratio, it must be pretty light and docile. Either way, you seem to manage it well.