Newbie, which plane?

Md80runway23

Hello all I'm a newbie to flite test. I have watched videos for quite some time now. I'm not super new to R/C. I've had helicopters in the pass a cub trainer years ago I was good at, and quite some time with a drone. I'm looking to get back into the hobby. I can't decide between several planes and need your help! I have a spectrum dx6e transmitter with no reciever. I want this first build to be somewhat of a budget build in case I crash. I do have some help from an experienced uncle who has flown rc for 30 plus years. I love the warbirds and can't decide between the simple scout, the xl scout, the p40 or the texan. If you can recommend one of the above could you also send me what reciever and other electronics I may need for my build? I like the prices of the cheapo Amazon electronic sets but not sure exactly what I need. Thanks!

Bo123

Elite member
I would really recomend either the scout or Xl scout. They are supposed to be easy flyers. As for the reciver, it should be a Spektrum Dsmx i think. And the electronics should be listed on the FT store page. Welcome to the forums!

Mark408

Hello all I'm a newbie to flite test. I have watched videos for quite some time now. I'm not super new to R/C. I've had helicopters in the pass a cub trainer years ago I was good at, and quite some time with a drone. I'm looking to get back into the hobby. I can't decide between several planes and need your help! I have a spectrum dx6e transmitter with no reciever. I want this first build to be somewhat of a budget build in case I crash. I do have some help from an experienced uncle who has flown rc for 30 plus years. I love the warbirds and can't decide between the simple scout, the xl scout, the p40 or the texan. If you can recommend one of the above could you also send me what reciever and other electronics I may need for my build? I like the prices of the cheapo Amazon electronic sets but not sure exactly what I need. Thanks!

The FT tutor is a new trainer that flies slow and better than the cub. I wish I could have flown it more but nature decided to throw a tropical storm at Florida.

Md80runway23

I would really recomend either the scout or Xl scout. They are supposed to be easy flyers. As for the reciver, it should be a Spektrum Dsmx i think. And the electronics should be listed on the FT store page. Welcome to the forums!
Thanks guys so the question is a normal scout or the scout xl?

kdobson83

My suggestion would be to start out with the regular size scout with the C-pack motor. If you go XL your power system will really only work on the few XL models available. BUT, if you go regular sized scout, the C-pack electronics will work on like 60%+ of the models FT has. This way if/when you crash beyond repair, you'll have more options. Plus, with your interest in the warbirds, the C-pack will work on ALL of the FT warbirds, even some/most of the master series ones. My opinion, the C-pack electronics are the most versatile.

Also, the regular sized scout will fly in smaller areas than the XL. Gives you more options for flying fields.

Bigger planes are more satisfying but are limited. Just my opinion though. If you prefer larger planes, the Scout XL is a great plane.

Cnat

Do any of the Amazon or ebay power kits work for the xl? If you went with a flitetest kit would a B kit work instead of C? I like slow scale flying. Thanks!

I have used this on many of my FT planes. I usually run a 9X5 propeller and its more than enough power. I currently have it on the normal size scout and the thing absolutely rips. SO if youre looking for some cheap electronics I can say this has been more than enough as a substitute for a power pack C. Not sure if you could run a 10" prop since its only a 30A ESC, but I run 9" props all day long no problem. Its also only rated for 3S. I did have to solder an XT60 on one of them i got. But if you just look around on amazon you can find decent motors and escs for a reasonable price.

Also if you bevel the ailerons more than usual and reinforce with hot glue, you can program them as flaperons in your radio and it will fly on the back side of the power curve super slow. You just wont be able to use a y harness since each servo will need its own channel for the flap offset. Thats what I do with mine. It will fly around slow with flaps down at like 25% power and land SUPER short. Roof landings are possible lol. Its a blast! Good luck

Last edited: