Chefman81

Help needed I'm quite new to quadcopters with my only experience on the hubsan x4 but I want to get in to fpv flying/racing . I'm looking at either the helipal type a v2 rtf or having a go at the versacopter , I'm from the uk and there's not a lot of info about so please help . The versacopter is about $100 more but I would rather get the right machine first time around . So need the expertise of you guys many thanks Dan .

DharanFlyer

Welcome Dan.

If you are serious about getting into racing I'd skip a mid step and go strait to the Versacopter if you are comfortable flying your Hubsan. I don't have a Versa but I do have their Electrohub and love it. Easy to repair and maintain and flies great.

Welcome to the form.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I have a few multirotors in the air including one of the new Alien frames and I'd like to make a few suggestions.

1. Read this.. Balu wrote this when he was a beginner to help folks deal with all the oddities. Balu is in Germany not the US so he is familiar with sourcing parts on your side of the pond.

2. Read this.. Final Glide Aus is the reigning Drone Nationals racing and freestyle champion along with several other awards by now. He wrote this when he was a newbie. Careful watching his videos if you get motion sick or suffer from seizures. :)

3. Use this thread to document your build. That helps us help you because we will know your hardware and your photos and video will allow us to help you troubleshoot.

If you PM a moderator like Dan or Balu and ask them to move this to the Multirotor or Multirotor newbie section, you might get more eyeballs from the multirotor guys.

You are doing great. You have outgrown a toy. You have the sense to ask questions before you go further and you have found your way here! :applause:

You are well on your way.

Welcome to FliteTest! :)

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
One model I'd suggest for a beginner in FPV/Racing is the unbreakable MultiRC HMB235. It might be a little on the heavy side, but you will not break it. Since you are in the UK, you are a lot closer to the only European distributer than me ;-): https://buy.4props.com/

I also had a very nice chat via mail with a sales guy from 4props. He gave me some really good advice on parts - on a weekend(!) after he got back from flying his own HMB235... So they know what they are doing :).

The Versacopter is a nice model, but the FT crew is still working on improving stuff because a lot of people had problems with broken parts.

Chefman81

Thanks for the help guys , I think I'm heading towards the versacopter even if it costs a little bit more as I will need to buy a transmitter and receiver . I like the idea of the mz-12 and gr 18 combo as it looks a lot easier then the naze for my first time , the only thing putting me of is no led lights for point of reference as I still find lights helpful atm . Many thanks again Dan

Richmond2000

Thanks for the help guys , I think I'm heading towards the versacopter even if it costs a little bit more as I will need to buy a transmitter and receiver . I like the idea of the mz-12 and gr 18 combo as it looks a lot easier then the naze for my first time , the only thing putting me of is no led lights for point of reference as I still find lights helpful atm . Many thanks again Dan

I keep coming "back" to the same set up and REALLY like the VERSACOPTOR over any other drone chassis I have seen
IMH do not like OPEN 2 deck looking machines like the hold-my-beer HMB235
but get drawn off to the
"Eachine Racer 250 FPV Drone Built in 5.8G Transmitter OSD With HD Camera ARF Version"
on bangood as they are almost GIVING it away
200 CDN radio ready with FPV can hardly buy the power pack and batts for that price YES batt is included
reviews it flies well but will NOT take a 4S batt as the tail light is in the way
PS it has bright headlight and a HUGE tail light bar
PPS arms are available if you stuff it HARD
approx 97 quid UK
http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Rac...-OSD-With-HD-Camera-BNF-Version-p-995366.html

Last edited:

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
not wanting to thread jack
details on these issues with the FT versacopter?

They've mentioned in a few Periscope sessions that people were reporting problems with the boom clamps and other parts breaking. Because of the feedback from the users they provided an "upgraded crash kit":

https://store.flitetest.com/versacopter-crash-kit-g-10-delrin/
This Kit has thicker boom clamps, larger boom releafs, and most importantly, milled out of G-10
Aluminum replacements are on the way.

The aluminum replacements can't be far. There was a temporary store article showing these in different colors a few days ago, but it was pulled from the store again.