Newbie!

Starssadar

Hi!

My name is Sylvain aka Starssadar on forums and Battle.net and I'm new in the R/C world. I come from Switzerland and speak french, so excuse me in advance if my english is poor.
Regarding my RC experience, I've had a couple coax toy helis and a balsa glider when I was a kid and that's all...

BUT I started to watch the Flite Test show a couple weeks ago and decided to invest time and money in this hobby (I have lots of hobbies) !

I did order a HK Skipper (before viewing your beginner series unfortunately) and crashed it several times. So I purchased a sim and hope to learn that way.

I have many many many questions and will try to do FPV soon when I'll have the budget.

See you around! :D

Starssadar

Flat4

Hey Starssadar, welcome to the forums. The guys around here are extremely friendly and helpful so feel free to ask anything that will help you better understand this wonderful world of flying. Sims are indeed a great tool to help you get use to the orientation of a rc plane, and general stick movements to keep it in the air. Only problem is it tends to be a bit easier to fly in a sim then out in the real world.

I would strongly recommend building a FT Flyer to get some stick time in on. I've had great success teaching some friends of mine on it, and it's incredibly easy to build, as well as fix after the inevitable crash landing.

Good luck, and have fun!

Also what Blizzard game/games do you play. I've been impatiently waiting on the D3 expansion release to get back into it.

Flynn

Welcome!

I'm a retired battle.net gamer also. That being said, this is a great place and a great place for questions. The people on the forums are the best so ask away and prepare for some fun.

Starssadar

Thanks!

I would strongly recommend building a FT Flyer to get some stick time in on. I've had great success teaching some friends of mine on it, and it's incredibly easy to build, as well as fix after the inevitable crash landing.

Also what Blizzard game/games do you play. I've been impatiently waiting on the D3 expansion release to get back into it.

I played a lot of SC back in the day and mainly play SC2 now. Didn't like D3 so much, I'm more of a strategy guy.

I'd love to try FT planes but the shipping costs to Switzerland are just huge! I guess I'm gonna buy a Bixler when these are available on HK Europe again.

Flat4

I use to play a ton of SC back in the day. Nowadays I prefer just mindlessly killing things.

I'm sure you know but all the FT planes are also available from free plans. As long as you have access to a printer, or even better yet a plotter, they are all rather easy to slap together. Especially the earlier planes like the FT flyer which don't have any curves or complex bends. I built all of my FT planes from just printing the plans off from the plotter at work. All have been excellent to fly.

Just some food for thought. It relieves a lot of the stress of crashing knowing your whole air frame can rebuilt for next to nothing.

Starssadar

Good point, didn't thought of that.
What is the use of the plotter? You cut the plans and use it as a pattern? (I never did any scratch building so everything is not clear yet)

And where did you buy the foam? I don't know if I can find some in my town.

Flat4

The plotter is just a large format printer which allows you to print the plan full sized versus printing it on letter or a4 sized paper and taping all the pieces together, saves a good chunk of time. Still doable without a plotter however, I made my FT flyer up before I realized I had a plotter at my disposal at work.

As for the foam in the States we get it from DollarTree or similar stores. Not to sure of its availability in Switzerland. The brand is called Adam's Readi-Board.

http://www.dollartree.com/Readi-Board-Foam-Boards/p16450/index.pro

RoyBro

Mentor
Did the HK Skipper come with a radio, or did you buy a radio separately? I guess I'm asking what radio you have. That will be a good start regardless of whether you buy or build you next plane.

Starssadar

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Did the HK Skipper come with a radio, or did you buy a radio separately? I guess I'm asking what radio you have. That will be a good start regardless of whether you buy or build you next plane.

I bought an Orangerx 6 channel separatly.

Starssadar

Good, the OrangeRX is a decent starter radio. So would you prefer to build or buy a plane with which to train?

I'd prefer to buy one but if I can build one why not?

I ordered a HK Sumo wing already and I think I'll buy a Bixler soon. If I find some EPP foam in my area I'll try to build an FT flyer from scratch.

Deeleins

Foam board outlets Europe

And where did you buy the foam? I don't know if I can find some in my town.

For foam board try art and craft shops - if you are in a store that sells brushes, pens, paint, glassbeads, thread, multicolor card, plastic flowers, wierd polystyrene shapes, and there are 95% females in the shop then you have found the right place! A2 sheets are good value and if they don't have it in stock they should be able to order it for you. Pick up some sticky velco while you're there too.... they might even have a glue gun - but check its one one with a little ball bearing in the end so it doesn't drip...
A cutting board is also a neat thing if you dont have one.
Enjoy building - and of course the flying :)