Papaj100

I’m new to the hobby and looking for suggestions in regards to a beginner plane. Would the scout or storch be considered beginner planes?
Thanks

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Welcome to the hobby and the forums. Gorgeous dog BTW. As for your first plane both would be considered decent beginner planes as this is what they were designed for being in the "Simple Series" However the better of the two to learn on would be the Scout. Its easier to build, takes up less space to store or transport, is easier to fix after crashing because it is smaller and more basic then the Storch, and it has a better reaction to inputs from your thumbs in maneuverability and throttle response being a smaller airframe.

FDS

Elite member
Tiny Trainer was good for me. Modular, easy to fix and build. Does lots of planes in one, including 3 and 4ch.
The Simple Stick is worth a look too, it’s super easy to build and fly.

Papaj100

Thanks for the prompt response! I’m leaning towards the scout. I’ve watch the build videos on all three models and the scout looks the easiest in my opinion. Can you do the build before purchasing the electronics (ie servos etc)?

FDS

Elite member
You will need at least the servos and one of those cheap servo centring tools, they can be set up to run off 4AA batteries. You centre the servos with it so that the ones inside the fuselage will work the elevator and rudder equally. Then you can add the elevator servos to the wing. You can add the battery, esc, motors and receiver later. The servo tester will also allow you to test the controls using the pot on it to move them.
I would build the simple scout as a 4ch. If you are making the mini scout the same applies with the servos but obviously there’s no elevators to do.
The Simple Stick is way way easier than the scout. The Tiny Trainer is also easier, no turtle decks on either of them and a separate wing is better both for crashing/rebuilding and ease of transport.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with the others, both the scout and storch are a good choice for a trainer plane.

I would recommend the storch, bigger planes are easier to fly.

messyhead

I've built a couple of Tiny Trainers and learned on them. I'm just starting to build a Scout now as it seemed a good progression to a plane with landing gear

Papaj100

You will need at least the servos and one of those cheap servo centring tools, they can be set up to run off 4AA batteries. You centre the servos with it so that the ones inside the fuselage will work the elevator and rudder equally. Then you can add the elevator servos to the wing. You can add the battery, esc, motors and receiver later. The servo tester will also allow you to test the controls using the pot on it to move them.
I would build the simple scout as a 4ch. If you are making the mini scout the same applies with the servos but obviously there’s no elevators to do.
The Simple Stick is way way easier than the scout. The Tiny Trainer is also easier, no turtle decks on either of them and a separate wing is better both for crashing/rebuilding and ease of transport.
What is the Simple Stick? And thanks for the great info!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Thanks for the prompt response! I’m leaning towards the scout. I’ve watch the build videos on all three models and the scout looks the easiest in my opinion. Can you do the build before purchasing the electronics (ie servos etc)?
With almost all of the FB model aircraft that I build, I complete the build first before fitting any electronics whatsoever.
The FB I use is heavier than the FB that FT uses and so I do not add anything until I know how easy it is going to be to achieve proper balance. If I need to bring servos forward or move them rearwards to assist in balance it is very difficult if they are already buried deep in the fuselage.

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

Headbang

Master member