Newest Build - Mighty Mini Sportster!

kacknor

Build another!
What I've been doing this past week.

The canopy was cut from a 2 liter Pepsi bottle and glued in place with canopy glue. Hot glue will melt the plastic.

The Numbers were cut from a foil gift bag and glued on with 3M Super 77 spray glue. I just printed them, tapped them on as a stencil and cut them out with a #11 and scissors. Gold wrapping paper would be better!

Paint was done using the FT poster board and 3M Super 77 idea of Joshua Finn and Steven Rosemma (Hope those are spelled right) via Josh B on the Show.

Frankly. I’m almost afraid to fly it. Darn.

20151213_120035.JPG 20151213_120054.JPG 20151213_120115.JPG 20151213_120134.JPG 20151213_120158.JPG

kacknor

Build another!
Thanks. Didn't take much to make it 'Scale'. Penciled in some shapes, used bright markers then did the rest in black. Does not look to bad in there.

JD

kacknor

Build another!
what happen bro did it fly ??
plan to make my one this week :)

Sorry, I overlooked this post and never updated! Yes, it flew, it flew a lot better than me. ;)

The maiden was indoors at the Golf Dome Columbus on the 3rd of January. First takeoff attempt groundlooped, the second was smooth with rudder correction and then WHAM! It was very suddenly presented to me that I was flying on 100% rates.

DAYUM!

The plane shot vertical to about 50 or 60 feet, where I overcorrected just as fast as I possibly could, sending the plane into a just as vertical dive! My reaction was *JUST* quick enough to pull level again about 5 feet off the deck. The track around the dome continued with minor porposing as I continued to overcorrect a bit to a near perfect landing after one circle around.

The guy next to me simply turned and remarked "That was a most interesting takeoff." :)

I set the rate switches to a much more reasonable level and flew it again mostly uneventfully. The last landing was rough as the wheels experienced some very prominent wobble. I have since repaired that with some heat shrink on the gear wire to take up the slop.

I am somewhat ashamed to admit I've been to the dome twice since, and haven't flown it again. It's just too darn pretty.

JD

Shashika

Sorry, I overlooked this post and never updated! Yes, it flew, it flew a lot better than me. ;)

The maiden was indoors at the Golf Dome Columbus on the 3rd of January. First takeoff attempt groundlooped, the second was smooth with rudder correction and then WHAM! It was very suddenly presented to me that I was flying on 100% rates.

DAYUM!

The plane shot vertical to about 50 or 60 feet, where I overcorrected just as fast as I possibly could, sending the plane into a just as vertical dive! My reaction was *JUST* quick enough to pull level again about 5 feet off the deck. The track around the dome continued with minor porposing as I continued to overcorrect a bit to a near perfect landing after one circle around.

The guy next to me simply turned and remarked "That was a most interesting takeoff." :)

I set the rate switches to a much more reasonable level and flew it again mostly uneventfully. The last landing was rough as the wheels experienced some very prominent wobble. I have since repaired that with some heat shrink on the gear wire to take up the slop.

I am somewhat ashamed to admit I've been to the dome twice since, and haven't flown it again. It's just too darn pretty.

JD

Plan to use below motor for the plane ,
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=86640

and prop
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11317

do you think it will hold
and about servos did u use 5g ones as FT say how about 7g ones (much cheaper )

kacknor

Build another!
I actually used the Power Pack F on this build. It has the 2204 motor, but I've used that 1806 motor (In the DYS and Emax versions) on other builds. The 2204 is a speed motor, and capable of 4s use. I believe the 1806 will work just fine for this plane. It won't have the speed and use no more than a 3s, but you'll have the power IMHO. That's not the prop you need. I think 6x4 is better, more thrust, but that's a quibble. The prop you have chosen has a small diameter shaft hole and you have at least a 5mm prop shaft on the motor. I was lucky and got a few of these:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__22423__APC_Style_Propeller_6x4_Grey_CCW_2pcs_.html

They work well on many of my fleet using anything from a 14 gram HK to the 2204. They are currently backorder in the International Warehouse. They might be available elsewhere, but any decent 6x4 will do. I've a bucketload of CW props because I have been only able to get 'pairs' packed for quads. Buy extra, you will likely break a few. ;)

Since I bought the power pack I used the 5 gram servos. But I scratch built another Mini Sportster first. I didn't have 5's or 7's, so I used 9's! It flew well but the weight made it faster. My gut says the 7's will also be OK combined with the 1806. OTOH, if you haven't bought the motor yet spring for the few extra and get the 2204. I don't think you'll regret it.

Good luck on your build!

JD

Shashika

thanks mate ,but already purchase the motor :(,i will try to get the props and try it out .and 5g servos are on the way

kacknor

Build another!
Post the results. There have been a few people wondering about the 1806 and the Mini Sportster. I have a 'spare' Speed build kit (bought two on sale). I am curious myself as I have a both an 1806 and a 2204 in the bench box. I really do think it will work fine. I tried a HK 24 gram 1300KV on that scratch build and it didn't work well. Not high enough RPM for the 6 inch prop and required an 8 inch prop. Plus it was long with the x-mount and with the recommended thrust angle it looked funny. ;)

JD

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
How fast was this indoors? Could it be flown in a Gym do you think, or is it limited to the big domes?

kacknor

Build another!
Domes. It gets along pretty good. Maybe an expert pilot could do it. If you like the look, but need a slow flyer probably a Mini Speedster? I can't really say for sure since I haven't built one, but I did an 80% Old Speedster and at 28" wingspan I think I could fly that in a larger gym. It does not go fast, hates it.

JD

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Domes. It gets along pretty good. Maybe an expert pilot could do it. If you like the look, but need a slow flyer probably a Mini Speedster? I can't really say for sure since I haven't built one, but I did an 80% Old Speedster and at 28" wingspan I think I could fly that in a larger gym. It does not go fast, hates it.

JD

I hadn't payed much attention to the Mini Sportster (Drooled over the full size when they came out though) until I saw that you were using the F power pack. I'm trying to figure out if my MM Gloster Gladiator will be able to fly indoors or not. I have 70% more wing area and weigh about 20 grams less with a smaller motor setup. With the F pack, I probably weigh the same.

I actually have a Mini Speedster and it's a lot of fun. Stole the motor and ESC out of it tonight though to see what it would do the Gladiator weight. :D

I really like how your cockpit under the canopy looks. I think I'm going to do something similar to the Gladiator now. Add a simple "seat" in the FT style, draw up some scale controls to glue inside and then just stick my canopy on top. I was going to go all out and make some 3d stuff for inside, but that's too much work for too little gain. Not when what you did looks so good.

Swanno

Post the results. There have been a few people wondering about the 1806 and the Mini Sportster. I have a 'spare' Speed build kit (bought two on sale). I am curious myself as I have a both an 1806 and a 2204 in the bench box. I really do think it will work fine. I tried a HK 24 gram 1300KV on that scratch build and it didn't work well. Not high enough RPM for the 6 inch prop and required an 8 inch prop. Plus it was long with the x-mount and with the recommended thrust angle it looked funny. ;)

JD

I also tried using a HK 24 gram 1300 KV motor but due to the Australian foam board I used I had to step it up to a 1300 mah battery just to get the CG in the correct spot and I had a 25 amp esc I had laying around so I put that on. I was using an 8x4 prop and only just got off the ground with a really hard throw. Even then when I went into a turn it slipped out (crashed) and I broke the tail...

I'm sure the Readi Board the kit is made from should work great with a 24 gram HK motor with an 8x4 prop and possibly a 1000 mah battery.

kacknor

Build another!
I hadn't payed much attention to the Mini Sportster (Drooled over the full size when they came out though) until I saw that you were using the F power pack. I'm trying to figure out if my MM Gloster Gladiator will be able to fly indoors or not. I have 70% more wing area and weigh about 20 grams less with a smaller motor setup. With the F pack, I probably weigh the same.

I actually have a Mini Speedster and it's a lot of fun. Stole the motor and ESC out of it tonight though to see what it would do the Gladiator weight. :D

I really like how your cockpit under the canopy looks. I think I'm going to do something similar to the Gladiator now. Add a simple "seat" in the FT style, draw up some scale controls to glue inside and then just stick my canopy on top. I was going to go all out and make some 3d stuff for inside, but that's too much work for too little gain. Not when what you did looks so good.

Thank you. That cockpit is far more suggestion than detail. I just penciled in shapes to represent dials and panels, then used various colors to fill them and filled in the outer area with black.

I've been following your Gladiator thread! Amazing work on the fuse. My hands cramp up just thinking about cutting it all out, but the results are pretty impressive I gotta say.

JD

kacknor

Build another!
I also tried using a HK 24 gram 1300 KV motor but due to the Australian foam board I used I had to step it up to a 1300 mah battery just to get the CG in the correct spot and I had a 25 amp esc I had laying around so I put that on. I was using an 8x4 prop and only just got off the ground with a really hard throw. Even then when I went into a turn it slipped out (crashed) and I broke the tail...

I'm sure the Readi Board the kit is made from should work great with a 24 gram HK motor with an 8x4 prop and possibly a 1000 mah battery.

That performance mirrors mine vary closely. I just ordered a 2204, put the HK 6x4 APC 'style' on it and it flew well, but fast with the 9 gram servos i used on the scratch build. It's history now, took a final nose dive into the artificial turf at the dome a few weeks back. The front end of the fuse resembled an accordion bellows and flopped around like a... Well it flopped.

Now I have 'spare' 2204 and a few more servos!

JD

Swanno

A spare motor and servos is always good, maybe you could build an Arrow for when it's warmer there.

I'm stepping away from minis for a while since the wind here is pretty bad most of the time and a model that can take the wind is pretty much essential.

I did have to build the Arrow though, who doesn't like wings.

kacknor

Build another!
A spare motor and servos is always good, maybe you could build an Arrow for when it's warmer there.

I'm stepping away from minis for a while since the wind here is pretty bad most of the time and a model that can take the wind is pretty much essential.

I did have to build the Arrow though, who doesn't like wings.

I like wings fine, but have a HK Bonsai already, so nice as it is, I'm going to pass. Minis are the winter fun for flying inside this time of year.

JD

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Thank you. That cockpit is far more suggestion than detail. I just penciled in shapes to represent dials and panels, then used various colors to fill them and filled in the outer area with black.

I've been following your Gladiator thread! Amazing work on the fuse. My hands cramp up just thinking about cutting it all out, but the results are pretty impressive I gotta say.

JD

Sometimes suggestion is all you need.

Haha, the fuse isn't that bad, but there are more cuts than most builds. That's the nice thing about minis, there is still less cutting involved in the Gladiator fuse that in a full size power pod model.