Thought I would share the most recent build. It is a modified FT bushwacker with straighter lines and the FT Corsair cowling to create a DH Beaver. Covered white foam board with clear and colored packaging tape. As soon as it’s nice out we will see how she flies.

Attachments

• 635AE54F-D227-4476-99C7-8D15FEC275DE.jpeg
    635AE54F-D227-4476-99C7-8D15FEC275DE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • A3D5419F-5FDD-4583-96AE-FD0DF387FF99.jpeg
    A3D5419F-5FDD-4583-96AE-FD0DF387FF99.jpeg
  • E5D73C46-47D3-4B9B-B736-EB11D0EFAE9F.jpeg
    E5D73C46-47D3-4B9B-B736-EB11D0EFAE9F.jpeg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thought I would share the most recent build. It is a modified FT bushwacker with straighter lines and the FT Corsair cowling to create a DH Beaver. Covered white foam board with clear and colored packaging tape. As soon as it’s nice out we will see how she flies.
Holy crap that does look awesome, so close to the DH Beaver. How did you get the cowl to fit the Bushwhacker?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I trimmed 1/2” from the largest piece to shorten the Corsair cowling to make it look more like a DH Beaver. I trimmed all but 3/4” of the bushwacker cowling off and folded it in so it would fit into the Corsair cowling.
you even got the iconic shape of the rudder too, looks awesome. Wish I would have seen this 2 days ago

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I just ordered the Bushwacker with the beaver conversion in mind. Only hope it turns out as good as yours!

I'm customizing mine for this competition we have going here:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/weightlifting-competition-stock-c-pack.60453/

I have high hopes. I already have a beaver I've lifted quite a bit with... but at 2000mm the FMS Beaver is quite a bit larger! lol

You need to get a video of her flying so we can all enjoy it in the air!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Have you seen my BW build on the FT Bushwhacker Build thread. If you have built one or any of you have I would reall appreciate it if you to check it out and give me some feedback.

The Beaver is by far my favorite bush plane, flown in them a few times so there is some sentimental value there.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Have you seen my BW build on the FT Bushwhacker Build thread

Yup, Been watching. Especially like the skis. It'll be ski season for my "Cpack" beaver (probably going with the U-6A version)

The Beaver is by far my favorite bush plane, flown in them a few times so there is some sentimental value there.

I've flown in a few myself. The FMS Beaver I have is a sentimental one for me for sure. My uncle, the original Alaska "Willow-billy," was a close friend and mentor to my gearhead lifestyle. He passed away a couple years back and I was honored to scatter his ashes at the ceremony with that Beaver. Like I said, its done some heavy lifting before, the physical and sentimental kind....

1573952279169.jpg

Well, after some trimming she flew pretty well. Needs some rudder mixing due to adverse yaw. Surprisingly fast and slippery through the air. I will need to increase the flap throw to help slow her down. Also, of the three landings two of them broke the pontoons and struts. They definitely need reinforced for landing on grass. Had I know, I would have done so during the build to make it easier. Beefing up the bottom plate of the fuselage with popsicle sticks and glue made a big difference. I then used small screws to clamp the wire struts to the bottom of the plane with more popsicle sticks. It worked great for the third landing.

Attachments

• B2ABAB24-2EF9-433F-AEED-453386ACD63D.jpeg
    B2ABAB24-2EF9-433F-AEED-453386ACD63D.jpeg
    50.5 KB · Views: 0
I just ordered the Bushwacker with the beaver conversion in mind. Only hope it turns out as good as yours!

thanks! Custom building this one from the plans allowed me to adjust the shape of the the fuselage, vertical, and horizontal stabilizers. The stabilizer changes were mostly “inside” cuts so they should translate well to the kit. The only piece I’m lacking is the wing braces to finish the “look.” I have not decided on a manageable way to do the wing braces just yet.

slowjo

Master member
looks great, I have a bushwacker kit waiting to be built, had been thinking of making it a beaver

mach1 rc

Master member
View attachment 148259
Well, after some trimming she flew pretty well. Needs some rudder mixing due to adverse yaw. Surprisingly fast and slippery through the air. I will need to increase the flap throw to help slow her down. Also, of the three landings two of them broke the pontoons and struts. They definitely need reinforced for landing on grass. Had I know, I would have done so during the build to make it easier. Beefing up the bottom plate of the fuselage with popsicle sticks and glue made a big difference. I then used small screws to clamp the wire struts to the bottom of the plane with more popsicle sticks. It worked great for the third landing.
Gorgeous plane👍👍👍👏👏👏👏

rksix01

Great looking plane