Newest of Newbs TX question

ibanezae

Been flying toy grade quads for a few months and recently moved up to a XK X350. Still getting used to it but it's a fun quad. I have been getting more and more interested in fixed wing aircraft and am considering buying a trainer to try out. The X6 transmitter which comes with the XK X350 seems pretty complete for an entry level device and according to the website is compatible with "2.4 GHZ FUTABA S-FHSS communication agreement". So my question to the experienced crowd is can I acquire a "2.4 GHZ FUTABA S-FHSS" receiver, intall it in a PNP plane and use my transmitter. If so, how much brain damage am I looking at for someone with no experience in such matters.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
That TX it is likely to be very limited to flying your quad and may end up not really being worth the effort even if you can find an RX that works with it. Genuine FUTABA S-FHSS receivers are quite expensive and compatibles seem a bit various. There is this one which is a respected brand.

https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-delta-8.html

which might be worth a try. It's a toss up as to whether you will actually be able to bind a different brand receiver to that TX.

Probably you would be better off getting a FlySky i6 which comes with a receiver for $50
http://www.banggood.com/FlySky-FS-i...ansmitter-With-FS-iA6B-Receiver-p-983537.html

The i6 is a good value. It's cheap so quality is a bit various and spare parts are not available in the US it seems but it has all the features you need to get started and then some.

There are other ways to go for a more money.

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Agree with pressalltheknobs - the FS-i6 was my first radio and it worked great for a simple - and single - plane that was naturally easy to fly. It's a bit limited from a channel, receiver, expo, programming, etc. perspective - but that's all stuff to come later. Right now just getting something affordable and simple to see if fixed wing is going to be an interest for you is the right move.

ibanezae

Thanks for the advice

That TX it is likely to be very limited to flying your quad and may end up not really being worth the effort even if you can find an RX that works with it. Genuine FUTABA S-FHSS receivers are quite expensive and compatibles seem a bit various. There is this one which is a respected brand.

https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-delta-8.html

which might be worth a try. It's a toss up as to whether you will actually be able to bind a different brand receiver to that TX.

Probably you would be better off getting a FlySky i6 which comes with a receiver for $50
http://www.banggood.com/FlySky-FS-i...ansmitter-With-FS-iA6B-Receiver-p-983537.html

The i6 is a good value. It's cheap so quality is a bit various and spare parts are not available in the US it seems but it has all the features you need to get started and then some.

There are other ways to go for a more money.

Yea, I pretty much know the answer before asking the questions. I guess I was looking for someone to say: "all you have to do is....." I may go RTF but am hesitant because PNP has a greater variety and if I destroy my first plane and don't want to buy the exact same model as a BNF or get hooked and want a second plane I will have a TX. The TX/RX you mentioned is pretty inexpensive and has some decent reviews.

ibanezae

Thanks

Agree with pressalltheknobs - the FS-i6 was my first radio and it worked great for a simple - and single - plane that was naturally easy to fly. It's a bit limited from a channel, receiver, expo, programming, etc. perspective - but that's all stuff to come later. Right now just getting something affordable and simple to see if fixed wing is going to be an interest for you is the right move.

Think that's where I'll go. I appreciate the advice.

One cheap trainer you can get is the 3 channel VLtoys F949 or the more forgiving F959, get the bnf and the /Flysky FS-i6.

For the money you pay for the F949 (US$50-ish) it's an excellent trainer. The F959 is good two. Only downside is brushed motors. But that's expected with the low price. The F949 has a flight time up to 20 minutes! (I usually don't go over 15 to save the lipos)
My other trainer is a FT Spitfire :)