Newly Acquired Hobby

vsbrt

hello everyone, I am new to this forums. I have been into this hobby after getting an small nano 3 channel helicopter and flying and crashing it until end of it's life :p . Later on I have moved on to larger sized heli :cool: I have got bored with 3 channel flying pretty soon and got a toy grade nano drone. I later on brought JJRC H31 (even it's a toy grade drone, but bit more stable to air currents). Now got into this forum and now collecting parts in clearance sales for building drone from scratch. hope this forum helps me by providing knowledge for scratch builds. hoping to build for a high performance lo cost racing FPV Drone.

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
Vsbrt, welcome to Flite Test. The FlySky is a decent radio for a beginner. Many quad pilots fly FrSky, which has a relatively newer full functioning radio called the Q X7 for a bit more than the FlySky.

http://alofthobbies.com/frsky-taranis-q-x7.html

The QX7 can also work better for simulators, which can help save you lots of broken quad bits. I think most FrSky received form mini quads are smaller and cheaper than the FlySky receivers. However, the FrSky Open TX operating system can take a little while to get used to (but allows much more customization once you understand the system).

Can you tell us a bit more about what you're looking to do with the quad and your overall budget? Are you looking to race? Freestyle fly? Fly FPV? Carry a HD camera like a GoPro? Do you know what size props (size of the quad)? Etc. Those answers will help give us a direction.

vsbrt

hey french, love the transmitter you suggested. I will look into it to buy one. BTW i want to build an drone with 140 mm frame size and 3" props. I would use it for outdoor fpv flying and occasional indoor fpv flying.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I love my Taranis. The QX7 is an entry level edition that runs the same firmware. I think you will be pleased.

However, most BNFs from Horizon use Spektrum and the QX7 is FrSky.

If you are looking for a transmitter that supports Horizonhobby BNFs you probably want Spektrum. If you are building a 140mm copter with 3" props the QX7 transmitter and the FrSky XSR is a great, mini receiver.

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
I want to build an drone with 140 mm frame size and 3" props. I would use it for outdoor fpv flying and occasional indoor fpv flying.
Its a bit smaller but you may want to check out the plug (solder) and fly Emax Babyhawk - https://store.flitetest.com/babyhawk-85mm-brushless-drone-pnp/

Or the Flitetest Gremlin (customize and build your own with the same power system)
https://store.flitetest.com/power-pack-g-with-flite-test-gremlin-frame/

They are slightly smaller with 2.5" props, but a great beginner to advanced quad that's a blast to fly. Check out the gremlin thread on the forum and some of FTs many YouTube episodes.

vsbrt

Its a bit smaller but you may want to check out the plug (solder) and fly Emax Babyhawk - https://store.flitetest.com/babyhawk-85mm-brushless-drone-pnp/

Or the Flitetest Gremlin (customize and build your own with the same power system)
https://store.flitetest.com/power-pack-g-with-flite-test-gremlin-frame/

They are slightly smaller with 2.5" props, but a great beginner to advanced quad that's a blast to fly. Check out the gremlin thread on the forum and some of FTs many YouTube episodes.

Gremlin looks fantastic. I will order one and build it with flysky receiver . gng with flysky tx for now.

vsbrt

Hello guys, I'm here with an update. I have ordered a Furibee F90 wasp for 40$ in gearbest. Grabbed it in flash-sale :p. As you all know, I've flown toy grade drones before and want to get into FPV flying now. I feel wasp is a good beginning for experiencing the FPV flying, learning to fly acro, programming in beta flight. Hope it can sustain minor crashesbefore i master FPV flying ;) . I'll wait for an other sale, to purchase FPV goggles. Mastering LOS flying until then (going to disconnect the FPV cam and tx to have extra flying time meanwhile :p) . I am still searching for an open source hobby grade tx.

Following are my requirements:
1. cost within 70$
2. should support open source firmware for customizing it with modules and flying toy grade as well hoby grade drones.
3. should have telemetry support

Found this intresting. the only downside for devo 7e is, its range is factory limited to 150m. I can unlock the full range by shorting a small diode (simple job). I want to use devo 7e by flashing deviationtx firmware on it, so that it works with DSM2/DSMX protcols. soldering an 3 in 1 module should make the tx usable with almost any drone. I have also seen taranis x9d, but it does'nt fit into my buget rite now. Please let me know your inputs on my views :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'd recommend the FrSky QX7 as getting really close to your requirements - just a little higher on the $, not too much, and will serve you for years and years to come.

Ricci

Posted a thousand or more times
I will also suggest the FrSky. Best Value for money. I switched from Spektrum to QX7.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hello Vsbrt Welcome to Flite Test and our wonderful hobby.

I can speak on the Devo series radios as that was what I got back into the hobby with. I love the feel of their radios and they work well. I used a straight up devo 7 and actually have two of them sitting on my bench. I found out however how dated they are in what they can do and as you looked into the 7e and all the modifications. Then I found a problem with a new quad and the devo receivers. I could not set a reliable let alone wanted fail safe with them. The best I could get out of them was last input hold. That is not good for quads. specially if you are into racing at all.

That made me rethink the radio situation and (hated to be cookie cutter spec) and look into the Taranis radios. Now that I have one I am so glad I did. WAY better gear even though I am not a fan totally for the way the cases are shaped and feel. I have gotten used to it now and since I did the gimbals upgrade even more impressed with it.

I suggest if you can afford it to go with the special edition ones since they have upgrades in them you can not do after market for the price range. I know its well above your budget but any of the Taranis radios will be well worthy of the cost. This is a purchase that potentially could last the entire time you are in the hobby so you want to look forward to see what will be needed. Open TX will allow for longevity where other radios will be locked into specific roles without it.