NEXT LEVEL P-40 Group Build

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
No. it is just a simple design that handles the challanges of winter. Here is a 2 plus minute flight in 20+ and no bother. Keep in car, pull out and fly, and certainly it is a beak from building. Don't have to worry about tipping or digging edges or skis that faulter. Care to do acrobatic, it will do.
Cool plane! I think I saw what you said it was earlier, but I can’t remember now. Is it an rtf plane or a depron or something?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
No. it is just a simple design that handles the challanges of winter. Here is a 2 plus minute flight in 20+ and no bother. Keep in car, pull out and fly, and certainly it is a beak from building. Don't have to worry about tipping or digging edges or skis that faulter. Care to do acrobatic, it will do.

This plane is pretty cool. Hits all the points you were talking about. I like how its a belly lander with the prop on top as a pusher

PoorManRC

Master member
I’ve always thought that would be a cool thing to try, and it looks like it worked out great!! I like how you kept the black foam on the underside for most of the pics. I usually use the dtfb, so it’s always a treat when I get to build with the ftfb!

Thanks @Sero !
@The Hangar - thanks! This might be my favorite part of FT Aircraft....
They BEG to be messed with!!!!
Nearly ALL of them, parts interchange and Build Methods can be used😎

You'll eventually see Steps used from at least 7 different FT Build Videos.
The Vstab, MOST of the way I did that, was about 80% @nerdnic and 20% ME, from basically spending over a year watching FT Build Videos, and reading People's Threads HERE!! 😊

The eventual Goal is to come up with ideas to make these LAST for a Long time!!! 😉

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thanks @Sero !
@The Hangar - thanks! This might be my favorite part of FT Aircraft....
They BEG to be messed with!!!!
Nearly ALL of them, parts interchange and Build Methods can be used😎

You'll eventually see Steps used from at least 7 different FT Build Videos.
The Vstab, MOST of the way I did that, was about 80% @nerdnic and 20% ME, from basically spending over a year watching FT Build Videos, and reading People's Threads HERE!! 😊

The eventual Goal is to come up with ideas to make these LAST for a Long time!!! 😉
How did your Vstab turn out?

bracesport

Legendary member
@BATTLEAXE - shame about the dual aileron glitch - if in doubt update your rig and have another go - failing that, I should imagine there are many Spectrum users that can review the issue - you gotta get ch5 up and running for fine control of your ailerons! :D

the plane is looking Stirling! :p

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I think I got lucky with how they centered out off the Tx. With the server centering tool the left one was a little high but they balanced out once I hooked it up to the Rx.

I bought a couple props today. The maiden will be on the original 9x6, but I acquired a 8x8 and a 8x10 today. I bought them for the FT-22 but I could share them with the P-40 as well... Crazy?

PoorManRC

Master member
HERE'S how the Vstab TE turned out....
IMG_20190925_032136.jpg

It will definitely DO!! 😉

PoorManRC

Master member
Next, the Hstab.....
IMG_20190925_032727.jpg

Who am I kidding!! 😋 I didn't want a THIN Hstab, after doing the Vstab!
IMG_20190925_033031.jpg

IMG_20190925_033438.jpg

IMG_20190925_033630.jpg

IMG_20190925_034115.jpg

I'm not brilliant at Metrics...
But it's approximately 19mm, 25mm, and 15mm. 😉
IMG_20190925_034704.jpg

No chance of affording Carbon Fiber....
IMG_20190925_035015.jpg

IMG_20190925_035343.jpg

YAY me!! 😂😎😜
IMG_20190925_040212.jpg

This will need to mount FLAT on top of the Fuse.
IMG_20190925_035744.jpg

I admit I made the Vstab a little too thin on the T.E.....

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
To finish the night.....
View attachment 143517
View attachment 143516
I'm not in a hurry, People are learning! 😜
You are getting proficient at cutting these out on your own bud, good job!

Awhile ago I was looking at trying to do the double thick and a center hinge and for some reason I couldn't think of how to cut the bevel. The issue was that I was only thinking of cutting the hinge bevel after the 2 halves were put together. You took to this like it was grade 2 and now I feel like an idiot for not thinking of this myself. Thanks for that lol

PoorManRC

Master member
You are getting proficient at cutting these out on your own bud, good job!

Awhile ago I was looking at trying to do the double thick and a center hinge and for some reason I couldn't think of how to cut the bevel. The issue was that I was only thinking of cutting the hinge bevel after the 2 halves were put together. You took to this like it was grade 2 and now I feel like an idiot for not thinking of this myself. Thanks for that lol

I REALLY appreciate that!! 😊 A friend of my Wife's is a Nurse, and she brought me a Scalpel set. It REALLY helps! 👍👍
STILL took a while, due to shaky hands.

DON'T beat yourself up! I'm still in the learning process myself.....
I'm just bringing to the table experience from 2 other Hobbies. A lot of it.
I simply stared at it until it hit me! 😉

My motivation, I thought the beveling of BOTH pieces on one side looked absolutely hideous!! That, and all that extra weight hinging on ONE sheet of paper looked unsafe at best.

As I'll say often, my goal is to build Planes that will LAST. I'm literally Broke! I can't afford even the most basic Kit.
I can't even afford a freaking roll of Hinge Tape!! 😞😖

THAT'S why these can't be considered disposable to me.

Anyway, I've gotten so many great ideas from this awesome Forum....
I'm ecstatic to finally be able to reciprocate and offer an idea from myself!! 😊

Another note - I'm trying to experiment, trying to mix the colour Green I'll need. (Can't afford Paint either!!)

I'm not even CLOSE, am I??
IMG_20190925_031753.jpg

Might try some more Black....

PoorManRC

Master member
Here's how the Hstab came out... So far.
IMG_20190925_134613.jpg

The L.E. next. I'll have to use Hot Glue there, because the angle is sharp and the distance is short.

The idea is, squeeze out almost as much as I put in, set It where I need it (NOT burn my fingers!!! 🔥), and then hold it level with an Aluminium Ruler, till it cools.....

.... I've seen Nerdnic do it before. Didn't seem TOO painful!! 😜

PoorManRC

Master member
@PoorManRC - really nice work - I also love the gorilla glue - I use a domestic food vacuum bag to hold the parts without too much taping - this could be an idea for you going forward! :D

Thanks! I really appreciate that! 😊
Good Idea, that I will pass to others....
I will NEVER be able to afford any System like that, as cool and effective as it is.

I no longer expect anyone to understand just how Poor we actually are. 💔😞
We're just trying to get through each day.

This Hobby is literally SAVING my Sanity!! Thanks to FliteTest - a guy who can no longer afford FAST FOOD - can enjoy one of the World's most Expensive Hobbies!! 👍
Of course, without the help from my friends, I couldn't even do this.

The Idea exchanges in this Forum are PRICELESS!