NEXT LEVEL P-40 Group Build

Marty72

Elite member
Removable wings definitely has it's advantages, storing and transporting FT full sized planes is cumbersome.

Update: My parts came in Saturday night. So, I proceeded to finish up the plane. I did iron the wings (after getting some tips from Battleaxe and watching his videos). I then minwaxed them and painted them (tan on the underside). After I got paint on there, I realized I should have sanded the edge more (weren't sharp to the touch but with paint, they look rough) . I 'll do a lot better next time. I'll iron all the edges going forward.

I've still got some clean up, paint touch up, graphics and detail work to do but here's a peek , it's operational. Trimmed out all the control surfaces visually, It has a lot of throw.......wooo. I'll have to come up with some reduced rates for this one. It' s nice to have 3 rates to switch between, so if I pick the wrong rate, I'll have others to try. I could finish it up today but honestly, I've had enough. I cleaned up the mess and put everything away.

Ha, I bumped the plane moving things around (never enough room and I can't find things on the table ), and it fell to the floor and dinged the vertical stabilizer. I reacted verbally and the dog must have though she did something wrong. (then I remembered Battleaxe's wing story).

I'll add a complete set of pics and a little pre-maiden video when I'm done.

IMG_2060.JPG

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Man that looks clean, I really like it. The exhaust pipes are a nice touch as well. You are really going to like flying this, it will quickly become your favorite plane.

As far as the rates go set the 3 way switch to whatever rates you feel comfortable with. You said they seem to have a lot of throw, so it would be advisable to go with 100/75/50, then start your maiden on low rates. This wing will take some air speed to gain lift, more so then the Scout, so it will need a bit more of a gradual climb slope to get up to speed off the hand launch to create lift on it's own. To much up elevator throw will toss it into a stall and quickly unexpectedly meet with the ground, possibly rotating to the right or left aggressively. I am sure you have seen this before. You will want to pay attention for the first climb up to 3 mistakes high to make sure it gets up to speed, once it is up and can glide on it's own you can back the throttle down to 50-60% and trim it out.

Good luck on the maiden and may you bring it down soft and in one piece. Great work

Marty72

Elite member
Man that looks clean, I really like it. The exhaust pipes are a nice touch as well. You are really going to like flying this, it will quickly become your favorite plane.

As far as the rates go set the 3 way switch to whatever rates you feel comfortable with. You said they seem to have a lot of throw, so it would be advisable to go with 100/75/50, then start your maiden on low rates. This wing will take some air speed to gain lift, more so then the Scout, so it will need a bit more of a gradual climb slope to get up to speed off the hand launch to create lift on it's own. To much up elevator throw will toss it into a stall and quickly unexpectedly meet with the ground, possibly rotating to the right or left aggressively. I am sure you have seen this before. You will want to pay attention for the first climb up to 3 mistakes high to make sure it gets up to speed, once it is up and can glide on it's own you can back the throttle down to 50-60% and trim it out.

Good luck on the maiden and may you bring it down soft and in one piece. Great work
All very good advice. I'll be doing all of that.

It's a much more solid plane than the scout from stock build. I did add a horizontal stabilizer (pop stick) across the front (perpendicular to the other popsickle sticks). I did this primarily for cosmetic reasons (fits the lower pod better) but it adds some stiffness as well.

Don't expect a maiden anytime soon. I'm going to keep flying the scout/timber for December. January, I'll maiden the P 40.

Marty72

Elite member
@Marty72 that looks really sharp! Nicely done. I’m actually considering doing a p-40 and I picked up a red spinner at my lhs, so gotta have something to put it on, right! What size is your spinner? I got a 2.5 inch.

Thanks.

Yep, 2.5 dia, dubro. It's a detail that really makes a big difference in giving this plane a finished look.

The ultra flat paint is great for hiding blemishes but it's bad for protecting the plane from handling (and I surly landings). Just like flat house paint, the sheen if protective. The satin finish is probably the best route for these planes.

PoorManRC

Master member
she looks FANTASTIC!! 😎👍👋👋👋👋

I'm GLAD about the 2.5" Spinner. That's what I got for my P-40! 😊 Awesome to see what it will look like.

Also, you're either MORE OCD than I am, I can't see it on a Phone, other I need new Glasses....
I don't see any Vstab Dings. 😋

Marty72

Elite member
she looks FANTASTIC!! 😎👍👋👋👋👋

I'm GLAD about the 2.5" Spinner. That's what I got for my P-40! 😊 Awesome to see what it will look like.

Also, you're either MORE OCD than I am, I can't see it on a Phone, other I need new Glasses....
I don't see any Vstab Dings. 😋
Thanks Poormanrc!

That ultra flat paint hides a lot but it mars real easy. The Spinner has got a bit more weight to it than I expected but it looks great and really finishes out the front. How are things coming with yours?

PoorManRC

Master member
Thanks Poormanrc!

That ultra flat paint hides a lot but it mars real easy. The Spinner has got a bit more weight to it than I expected but it looks great and really finishes out the front. How are things coming with yours?
Well, it looks great to me! 😉

Mine.... WAITING to be able to afford stuff. I'm fairly close though.
But while I'm not getting stuff, I'm going to do the removable Wing! 👍👍
I found Nylon Bolts, so I'll slot into the front, and bolt in the back. Should work.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Well, it looks great to me! 😉

Mine.... WAITING to be able to afford stuff. I'm fairly close though.
But while I'm not getting stuff, I'm going to do the removable Wing! 👍👍
I found Nylon Bolts, so I'll slot into the front, and bolt in the back. Should work.
I really like mine more now with the removable wing. good luck on the transition. My p-40 has its first layer of paint. I juist have to fight my inertia and get out into the cold garage to mask and paint the rest of it. :)

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I decided not to go with a shark teeth livery. I have always loved another for this plane.

It started out all black. And the camo flat black unused just sucks the light out of the room.
IMG_20191201_095150.jpg

After some handling and some scuffing up it has that rough used look i wanted

It isn't done yet. I have a spinner and motor on order. And the paint needs a bit more red touch up. But I had to share. I will be extra scared when I maiden this. Lol
IMG_20191203_134031.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I decided not to go with a shark teeth livery. I have always loved another for this plane.

It started out all black. And the camo flat black unused just sucks the light out of the room. View attachment 149828

It isn't done yet. I have a spinner and motor on order. And the paint needs a bit more red touch up. But I had to share. I will be extra scared when I maiden this. Lol View attachment 149829
Wow @Zetoyoc - that’s impressive!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

It started out all black. And the camo flat black unused just sucks the light out of the room. View attachment 149828

It isn't done yet. I have a spinner and motor on order. And the paint needs a bit more red touch up. But I had to share. I will be extra scared when I maiden this. Lol View attachment 149829
Beautiful build, man! Hot to trot and cool as snot!

PoorManRC

Master member

Don't know your rule on language...
But my Dad, and his fellow SR-71 Pilots, call a Plane THAT sweet - ShitHot!!! 😎👍👍

She looks BEAUTIFUL! Don't be afraid to Fly her. 😊
....... THIS coming from a Guy who, every time I add something to my P-40 - I get MORE scared at the thought of leaving the Ground!! 😯

~ Hello 12 Step Fellows...
My Name is Carmine, I've Built more Aircraft than I will ever fly!! 😋
And I'm a hypocrite for trying to tell you to FLY something that you've put so much hard work into! ~

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I really like the tail feathers and the canopy. How did you do the canopy? What color did you use for the windows and how did you make it looked framed. That is outstanding.

Thank you. The tail is yellow tape meticulously cut into 1.25 inch squares. For the canopy I tried several things, first was it was windows cut from aluminum tape but that was a bit shinier than i wanted fr the muted colors of the plan. then i tried the color gradient printed on paper and cut out. but in the end i have to admit i remembered that @Rasterize made a fantastic skin for this plane. So I printed just the canopy area and painted over that by hand to get the red outlines. in the future though for planes without skins i think the gradient print on paper and cut out will work quite well. I just went with what was easy this time. er after trying it the hard way several times first :)

Wow @Zetoyoc - that’s impressive!

Thank you. I am really looking forward to seeing it in the air. unfortunately i think ill have to be the one that puts it there :)

Beautiful build, man! Hot to trot and cool as snot!
thanks, I really want to see a spinner on there and maybe a 3 blade prop soon.

Don't know your rule on language...
But my Dad, and his fellow SR-71 Pilots, call a Plane THAT sweet - ShitHot!!! 😎👍👍

She looks BEAUTIFUL! Don't be afraid to Fly her. 😊
....... THIS coming from a Guy who, every time I add something to my P-40 - I get MORE scared at the thought of leaving the Ground!! 😯

~ Hello 12 Step Fellows...
My Name is Carmine, I've Built more Aircraft than I will ever fly!! 😋
And I'm a hypocrite for trying to tell you to FLY something that you've put so much hard work into! ~

ha ha. i like the phrase. :) I will be scared to fly it. but not so scared it stays on the ground. I have gotten used to sending hours of hard work into the sky and not getting them back. My wife and i have made many model rockets and they get explosives shoved in them and there is no control after you push the button. :) on the other hand if i loose this plane it will be my fault lol ack!

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
The tail is yellow tape meticulously cut into 1.25 inch squares.

That's just amazing!

For the canopy I tried several things, first was it was windows cut from aluminum tape but that was a bit shinier than i wanted fr the muted colors of the plan. then i tried the color gradient printed on paper and cut out. but in the end i have to admit i remembered that @Rasterize made a fantastic skin for this plane. So I printed just the canopy area and painted over that by hand to get the red outlines. in the future though for planes without skins i think the gradient print on paper and cut out will work quite well. I just went with what was easy this time. er after trying it the hard way several times first :)

First off beautiful build! Wish I would have known you were doing that scheme, I would have gladly shared the tail skins to my 325th Fighter Group skin and edited a canopy to make it red to save you some time.
1575478060053.png

I also did a similar set of skins based on plans designed by community member MiniacRC. I added invasion stripes to mine (not historically accurate) for orientation purposes.

1575478375591.png

Good luck on the maiden!