NEXT LEVEL P-40 Group Build

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Probably pretty similar, I like the Iconic Livery. Currently, it's my favorite plane. I put 5 batteries through it this morning in cold conditions, 1 4s in the Sportster and 1 battery in the Spitfire. I'm working my way towards the Spit/P51 planes. I had blue bird skies this morning, the red spinner and the red mouth of the P40 make orientation better than the Spit. The camo spit is by far my most difficult plane to keep oriented. I'm going to sit that plane for awhile and fly the Mustang, the yellow and silver is much easier to see.
I find the invasion stripes really work for me, especially on he bottom. Just any stripes really

Marty72

Elite member
I find the invasion stripes really work for me, especially on he bottom. Just any stripes really
Yeah, they do stand out, maybe I'll put them on the underside of the wing. I've learned from my flying experience, black/yellow, black/white, and yellow/silver stand out. I'm sure there are other combos. Visually, nothing stands out like my Sportster.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Get this. I just dusted off the Sport Cub S. Got it working and took it up for a maiden flight. Kept it in close in the backyard, was super tail heavy. Gonna add a nickel to the nose tomorrow and try it out again. Gotta figure out how to get it out of beginner mode.

Marty72

Elite member
Get this. I just dusted off the Sport Cub S. Got it working and took it up for a maiden flight. Kept it in close in the backyard, was super tail heavy. Gonna add a nickel to the nose tomorrow and try it out again. Gotta figure out how to get it out of beginner mode.
So you used the pos game boy tx to fly it? Beginner mode, should toggle off, something is wrong and it's stuck I guess. The plane flies so slow....ha, ha. I still have mine, burned out so many motors on that thing, it became cost prohibitive to fly it.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Awesome!! Did it feel good to fly again?
It feels good to fly anytime, but yeah it was an out of desperation move to pull out the Sport Cub lol
So you used the pos game boy tx to fly it? Beginner mode, should toggle off, something is wrong and it's stuck I guess. The plane flies so slow....ha, ha. I still have mine, burned out so many motors on that thing, it became cost prohibitive to fly it.
It didn't come with its own Tx, this is why I bought the DXe in the first place, to go with this plane. I wanted to range test this to see if the Tx would work on this integrated receiver, i opened it up and decided to fix the prop shaft while i was in there. Before i knew it i had a functioning micro. I tried it out and it was seriously tail heavy, so the glue is drying on some nose weight for it now. I know there is a way to program this Tx to shut off the SAFE system so it will fly like a regular 4 channel. There is a vid on YT for that

Marty72

Elite member
It feels good to fly anytime, but yeah it was an out of desperation move to pull out the Sport Cub lol
It didn't come with its own Tx, this is why I bought the DXe in the first place, to go with this plane. I wanted to range test this to see if the Tx would work on this integrated receiver, i opened it up and decided to fix the prop shaft while i was in there. Before i knew it i had a functioning micro. I tried it out and it was seriously tail heavy, so the glue is drying on some nose weight for it now. I know there is a way to program this Tx to shut off the SAFE system so it will fly like a regular 4 channel. There is a vid on YT for that
Yeah, I binded cub to my dx6e, you just put a safe channel on a 3 position toggle switchl. It's been awhile since I've done it, but it was easy on my dx6e. I realize the dxe needs pc intervention to work.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Yeah, I binded cub to my dx6e, you just put a safe channel on a 3 position toggle switchl. It's been awhile since I've done it, but it was easy on my dx6e. I realize the dxe needs pc intervention to work.

Yea there is a bit of an obscure way to do it, gonna look that up now. Last time i tried it i screwed it up and I didn't have the choice at the remote. I could only choose one or the other at the computer. I was likely doing it wrong, i will get it figured out at some point.

Marty72

Elite member
So I still have the sports cub programmed into my dx6e. So I thought I'd share how it's set up. If you go to Setup, then channel assignment, the "safe mode" is channel "Gear". I set gear to a 3 position toggle, switch B.

So System Setup, then Channel Assignment, then channel 5 "Gear", next to assign the switch or thing you want.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I found a video that sets it up with a DX6e and i followed that one. Yea the gear channel gets a 3 pos switch and aux 1 gets a push button switch and gets reversed. I remembered it was something weird like that.

It is still windy out so it isn't a good time to try it, might be better tonight. I have it trimmed for beginner mode, but when you switch up to intermediate and expert modes the trim adjusts itself different. I noticed there is a aileron/rudder auto mix, and all three modes react differently. This should work, i am kinda happy it had SAFE mode on last night when I first tried it. I added the nose weight and batteries are charged.

I just crashed my p40. it was pretty demolished already but i thought one more flight wouldn't hurt. The battery ejected (I seem to do that a lot) and got lost in the field and the plane crashed into the ground. I think im going to go on to a different warbird now. Any suggestions. I want to do the master series mustang but i can't find the plans anywhere. are they posted yet?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I just crashed my p40. it was pretty demolished already but i thought one more flight wouldn't hurt. The battery ejected (I seem to do that a lot) and got lost in the field and the plane crashed into the ground. I think im going to go on to a different warbird now. Any suggestions. I want to do the master series mustang but i can't find the plans anywhere. are they posted yet?
They aren’t posted yet. The Spitfire would also make a good next warbird.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I agree with @The Hangar the Spitfire would definitely be a good first build wise, it was my first and for me it was easy just watching the build vid a few times. It does turn out to be a pretty big plane though, around 50" WS, somewhat bigger then the P-40. If thats what you are looking for then I will be watching with interest.

I would be inclined to do the Corsair. It may be my next MS plane from plans if you want a link. It has a slightly shorter wing span and a shorter fuse, might be more fun to fly. The Spit has a longer fuse and will probably fly more scale. I have made a couple of MS designs of my own since I built the Spit and it gets pretty intuitive after awhile. I don't really see much reason to fold a plane anymore. They are good skills to have on the tool belt, opens up so many more possibilities

I think I'll just go for the regular mustang but make the canopy out of fb to create a master series look and maybe even close up the under cambered wing tips.

The master series are nice but I don't want to cut out all the fb before i've flown a few eaiser builds that way if I crash it isn't as much work down the drain.

I think I might do a master series after the mustang but just want a good flying plane that is easy to build right now.

Marty72

Elite member
So I lost yet another flying field. The field manager gave me permission to fly anytime I want to, but Tuesday the Developer stopped by the site, I was flying and we had a nice talk but he just doesn't want the liability. I've run out of options, if I want to fly anything other than a micro plane (and even that is tight), I'm screwed. So I join the local club, it's 30 minutes away and even though I joined on Thursday, it's probably going to be late next week before I can fly out there. They don't exactly use modern technology, I'll leave it at that.

With all that said, I'm not sure how much I'm going to like the club situation. We'll see. I had a fantastic site, 3 miles from the house, totally private, no one around and could go anytime (which I would do when conditions were prime). I've got nowhere else to fly a full sized FT plane, that's for sure. As far as future builds, I have no idea. I need to see how this works out. I don't know how they will view FT planes, I know nothing about the club really. I just know it was join or quit the hobby. It's been a frustrating part of the hobby for me, I started in September and finding a place to fly has been the biggest issue (something I didn't expect). I find a safe place and then I lose the field... rinse, repeat. Obviously, if I lived in a different part of the country, this probably wouldn't be a problem.

Other news:
My servos came in yesterday, so I finished the body for the replacement P 40 (still need a few tweeks, like an exhaust). It's very similar to the old one (that will eventually be replacing it). I added some small doublers for the "wing slot" to improve the crash strength a bit. I'll use all the components from the old P 40, including the red spinner. Battleaxe, I added the invasion stripes to the bottom like you mentioned, I think it should be good for orientation. The plane is a mix of P 40 liverys, I simple picked out the stuff I liked and mashed it together.
IMG_2449.JPG
IMG_2450.JPG
IMG_2451.JPG

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So I lost yet another flying field. The field manager gave me permission to fly anytime I want to, but Tuesday the Developer stopped by the site, I was flying and we had a nice talk but he just doesn't want the liability. I've run out of options, if I want to fly anything other than a micro plane (and even that is tight), I'm screwed. So I join the local club, it's 30 minutes away and even though I joined on Thursday, it's probably going to be late next week before I can fly out there. They don't exactly use modern technology, I'll leave it at that.

With all that said, I'm not sure how much I'm going to like the club situation. We'll see. I had a fantastic site, 3 miles from the house, totally private, no one around and could go anytime (which I would do when conditions were prime). I've got nowhere else to fly a full sized FT plane, that's for sure. As far as future builds, I have no idea. I need to see how this works out. I don't know how they will view FT planes, I know nothing about the club really. I just know it was join or quit the hobby. It's been a frustrating part of the hobby for me, I started in September and finding a place to fly has been the biggest issue (something I didn't expect). I find a safe place and then I lose the field... rinse, repeat. Obviously, if I lived in a different part of the country, this probably wouldn't be a problem.

Other news:
My servos came in yesterday, so I finished the body for the replacement P 40 (still need a few tweeks, like an exhaust). It's very similar to the old one (that will eventually be replacing it). I added some small doublers for the "wing slot" to improve the crash strength a bit. I'll use all the components from the old P 40, including the red spinner. Battleaxe, I added the invasion stripes to the bottom like you mentioned, I think it should be good for orientation. The plane is a mix of P 40 liverys, I simple picked out the stuff I liked and mashed it together. View attachment 166551 View attachment 166552 View attachment 166553
That looks nice! Clean as usual. You should do build vids for people. That sucks about the field situation, from what I saw it was a prime spot. You might like the club scene though. I can't imagine there many people goin out there right now. Plus its cool to meet other people with a common interest and watch them fly their stuff. From the one time i went to a flying field i had a blast with everyone there, but it was different times back in the day lol.

Marty72

Elite member
That looks nice! Clean as usual. You should do build vids for people. That sucks about the field situation, from what I saw it was a prime spot. You might like the club scene though. I can't imagine there many people goin out there right now. Plus its cool to meet other people with a common interest and watch them fly their stuff. From the one time i went to a flying field i had a blast with everyone there, but it was different times back in the day lol.
Thanks Chris,

The housing development in Florida was the best from a flying standpoint, no trees within a 1000 feet. The most recent site was just a beautiful, convenient place to fly. I had two tree lines to watch out for but the clock tower and the mountains in the background made an awesome flying experience. I'll try and keep an open mind to the whole club thing.