NEXT LEVEL P-40 Group Build

PoorManRC

Master member
That's a very impressive effort, and a great looking Wing - considering it's just Foam Core Board!!! 👍👍
With the additional Spars (I'd include a Cross Spar, like the Swede's Spitfire, to really lash the two Wing Halves together), it should hold up well at higher speeds.

Mine will be more traditional, with Undercambered Wing Tips, but I've been SHRINKING that Step, on all 8 Planes I've built, only having a problem with Tubby Cubby, and only because of a wrinkled, softened Rudder, that I overlooked!!
On a 3 Channel, that was a MAJOR issue! 😖

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
That's a very impressive effort, and a great looking Wing - considering it's just Foam Core Board!!! 👍👍
With the additional Spars (I'd include a Cross Spar, like the Swede's Spitfire, to really lash the two Wing Halves together), it should hold up well at higher speeds.

Mine will be more traditional, with Undercambered Wing Tips, but I've been SHRINKING that Step, on all 8 Planes I've built, only having a problem with Tubby Cubby, and only because of a wrinkled, softened Rudder, that I overlooked!!
On a 3 Channel, that was a MAJOR issue! 😖
If I was going to be doing high speed aerobatics having a bunch of positive loading with it I may be worried but I am looking to push my speed limits on a warbird first. The cross spar was something I considered but didn't do. If it falls apart it's just FB, build a new one. For now I am just hoping for a smooth maiden and some fun flying. I would encourage you to put one in, improve upon my efforts, and have a go at the speed wing, it is pretty easy to build. I am curious as to what it feels like to fly.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
@BATTLEAXE - I was meaning when you build the next wing you can plan for the ailerons and add appropriate fill! :LOL:
Look at the brains on you bud lol. Yea i should have thought of that. I imagine there will be a few things that i should have done in retrospect.

@Hai-Lee mentioned balsa, i think i have an idea for hinges that would work well with the balsa as a filler. It will take some bench time to figure it out.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
A little update on the P-40... I scrapped the whole thing, see ya! Just kidding! I got to the bench today and drew out some more mods. As I said before there is a top hatch and a fixed firewall. These pics will illustrate that, check it out:
20190910_161729.jpg

This is where you can see I added a bunch of BBQ skewers to strengthen the fuse. There was a lot of structure that was cut away to make the top hatch so this had to made back up. The skewers around the hatch are for durability and consistency for battery changes. The skewers in the bottom nose section for crash resistance. I also took the square hump of the nose off to make a formed nose later...
20190910_164358.jpg

Folded together
20190910_174051.jpg

20190910_174100.jpg
20190910_174110.jpg

Here is where I installed the shortened fixed power pod. There is a section of FB above the front of the pod to make up some down thrust and gives the firewall something to glue to on the upper portion. I still gotta clean up the HG on the rim of the pod...
20190910_183814.jpg
20190910_183913.jpg

The wing went in fairly easy, easier then any other pass through wing I have done. Most of the time it is a struggle shifting it back ad forth and it binds up on the fuse, deforms and wrinkles the side walls. I even cut a temporary plate to span the inside of the fuse side to side to keep things from caving in because of resistance. This slid in with just a little wiggle at the end. I got it centered and squared, marked where the wing meets the fuse on the outsides, shifted it back out by 1/2", laid down a bead of glue and shifted it back into place. Added another bead of glue to finish off the outsides and bottom, slid out the temporary plate from the inside and all is good. I haven't glued the tail feathers on yet but that is something i may do just before the turtle deck gets installed.

Thx for reading

Sero

Elite member
Looking good! It's fun making things you own isn't it?

Just make sure the firewall is glued on well, you wont be able to use tape to re-enforce it.

bracesport

Legendary member
@BATTLEAXE - very clean build - it does not look like you use the Adams (DTFB) - am I correct (looks too white) - I often use another brand that is ever so slightly thicker and has a light card surface (not paper)! :D

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Looking good! It's fun making things you own isn't it?

Just make sure the firewall is glued on well, you wont be able to use tape to re-enforce it.
Thanks. It is goin along good so far, did a little more work to the nose, like the firewall. I used a DT plastic cutting board for the firewall, it was tip from someone else on the forums. I have used 3/16 ply on a fixed firewall on my Scout and it broke rendering complete surgery on the nose. Decided to scrap the plane. This cutting board hopefully won't be prone to breaking, should bend and bounce back some, less brittle. I also used gorilla glue to adhere it to the power pod at the back and there is a FB doubler in front so it isn't going anywhere, (lessons learned lol). I do have some small details that I notice right away but it won't make a difference to the performance. I'll post the progress later. It's actually kinda surprising me how well it's working out though, almost to the point where I am thinking something has to go wrong. I hope it flies well. Keeping an eye on your recent thread is helping too, I appreciate that.
@BATTLEAXE - very clean build - it does not look like you use the Adams (DTFB) - am I correct (looks too white) - I often use another brand that is ever so slightly thicker and has a light card surface (not paper)! :D
I am using the Adams DTFB. That's all I use now, I've used others and I find this builds better, more accurate to cut and peel. I hear its lighter then Elmers and has a smoother finish as well.

You got the iron now, it will change your game dramatically. Experiment with it first to get the feel for it but it makes a cleaner more aerodynamic look and i am hoping a difference in performance and strength. Have fun with it

PoorManRC

Master member
Thanks. It is goin along good so far, did a little more work to the nose, like the firewall. I used a DT plastic cutting board for the firewall, it was tip from someone else on the forums. I have used 3/16 ply on a fixed firewall on my Scout and it broke rendering complete surgery on the nose. Decided to scrap the plane. This cutting board hopefully won't be prone to breaking, should bend and bounce back some, less brittle. I also used gorilla glue to adhere it to the power pod at the back and there is a FB doubler in front so it isn't going anywhere, (lessons learned lol). I do have some small details that I notice right away but it won't make a difference to the performance. I'll post the progress later. It's actually kinda surprising me how well it's working out though, almost to the point where I am thinking something has to go wrong. I hope it flies well. Keeping an eye on your recent thread is helping too, I appreciate that.

I am using the Adams DTFB. That's all I use now, I've used others and I find this builds better, more accurate to cut and peel. I hear its lighter then Elmers and has a smoother finish as well.

You got the iron now, it will change your game dramatically. Experiment with it first to get the feel for it but it makes a cleaner more aerodynamic look and i am hoping a difference in performance and strength. Have fun with it
Nerdnic last night mentioned to me that the "Very White" Adams Board is more Brittle than the old off White stuff.... 😲 It's NOT an improvement, and may even be designed to SELL more Brown WP Foam Board!!
I hope that's not right.... Because that's not RIGHT! 😖

I looked at the new Board I have... He's right. Instead of just crinkling and bending....
It RIPS and shatters.

PoorManRC

Master member
A little update on the P-40... I scrapped the whole thing, see ya! Just kidding! I got to the bench today and drew out some more mods. As I said before there is a top hatch and a fixed firewall. These pics will illustrate that, check it out:
View attachment 142176
This is where you can see I added a bunch of BBQ skewers to strengthen the fuse. There was a lot of structure that was cut away to make the top hatch so this had to made back up. The skewers around the hatch are for durability and consistency for battery changes. The skewers in the bottom nose section for crash resistance. I also took the square hump of the nose off to make a formed nose later...
View attachment 142177
Folded together View attachment 142178
View attachment 142179 View attachment 142180
Here is where I installed the shortened fixed power pod. There is a section of FB above the front of the pod to make up some down thrust and gives the firewall something to glue to on the upper portion. I still gotta clean up the HG on the rim of the pod... View attachment 142181 View attachment 142183
The wing went in fairly easy, easier then any other pass through wing I have done. Most of the time it is a struggle shifting it back ad forth and it binds up on the fuse, deforms and wrinkles the side walls. I even cut a temporary plate to span the inside of the fuse side to side to keep things from caving in because of resistance. This slid in with just a little wiggle at the end. I got it centered and squared, marked where the wing meets the fuse on the outsides, shifted it back out by 1/2", laid down a bead of glue and shifted it back into place. Added another bead of glue to finish off the outsides and bottom, slid out the temporary plate from the inside and all is good. I haven't glued the tail feathers on yet but that is something i may do just before the turtle deck gets installed.

Thx for reading
THAT is impressive!!! I'm collecting ideas from several sources for mine...
But several have come from THIS Thread!! 👍👍

I'm asking around here, looking for an old Iron. I AM Ironing my Hinges from now on!! Looks better and stronger.

Reading the other posts here, I'm now worried!
I WAS feeling good about the 3/16" Plywood Firewall I got for the Scout...
I just hope that 2 layers of extreme Packing Tape and my Skewer reinforcement of the Power Pod is enough.

I'm definitely doing that Hatch idea!! That's TOUGH!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I don't plan for these planes to last forever and there is nothing that will withstand a crash completely and be light enough, especially the punishment I put them through. The Adams FB I find is just easier to work with and holds it's shape while building. If I get to the point where I am confident that crashes won't happen then I will get into the more expensive balsa builds or other mediums. I remember when I was at the airpark there were guys flying relatively expensive and time consuming builds and they crashed them just as much as I do mine, difference is they have the disposable income to fix theirs, and I could probably build a whole new plane in the time it takes them to repair at the fraction of the cost.
20190824_133045.jpg

Case in point. This is a fairly large plane, maybe 1/5th scale. The guy in the golf shirt is Dad and the guy in the hat is his teenage son who facilitated the crash. Actually it was his 2nd crash of the day on the same plane, and if I remember correctly they were both on landings. This is not a option my wallet can afford right now lol!

They were in good spirits though, It is about family bonding time and that's really all that matters. It was a nice plane when it showed up and flew really well.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Update on the nose. I did say I wasn't impressed with a small detail, here it is. I strive to keep everything square and true, and beyond all efforts in the moment sometimes things get over looked
20190911_085629.jpg

20190911_085654.jpg

As you can tell in these pics the bottom nose plate is crooked. It is there for strength and protection for the bottom of the motor and wiring. I wouldn't have been concerned if it will end up hidden but it isn't, and being right on the front of the plane it will be the first thing you see, and for me it sticks out like sore thumb. So I had to remove it and find a solution. This is one of those fixes that you don't know how its going to turn out in the beginning, but once you get into it, it all comes together and with better results in fact.
20190911_102149.jpg

I ended up just cutting out the old piece, leaving a spot about 1.5 the thickness of FB evening out both sides. I took a page out of @Sero book of tricks and did an aerodynamic fold over, beveling only one side, and formed and trimmed a new bottom nose plate in...
20190911_102233.jpg

It could use some cosmetic finishing in the corners but that may come later...
20190911_102551.jpg

This post in the middle is the same style aerodynamic trick but is beveled on both sides like a wing, this is a station to hold the formed nose vent in place and adds to the scale look of the P-40. the open space between the firewall and the bottom nose plate is just large enough to pass the wiring through and the chord of the station is just long enough to hold the molded nose intake, yet short enough to allow the wires from the ESC to reach out the front to plug/unplug them. Once the nose intake coil is installed the ESC wires will pass into the plane from the top hatch, fed forward out the intake, plugged in just in front of the nose, then pulled back to install the motor, and Velcro will hold the ESC to the top or the wing. Clean and neat. Because of the nose intake there will be plenty of airflow through the fuse to keep thing cool. I just have to figure out how I will exhaust vent the air out the back and still keep a clean look... solve one problem and create others. Another thinker, inspiration may come as I am in the build again, like so many other times lol.

Thanks for reading. Hope it inspires others to have a go at their own version.

PoorManRC

Master member
LOVE that central Fin!! Practical and aesthetic! Also appears to add even more strength to the centre Wing, preventing Wing Flex! 👍👍😎
Something else I might add...

My "Vision" isn't a lot like yours.... But the ideas and solutions you've come up with, are inspiring!!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
LOVE that central Fin!! Practical and aesthetic! Also appears to add even more strength to the centre Wing, preventing Wing Flex! 👍👍😎
Something else I might add...

My "Vision" isn't a lot like yours.... But the ideas and solutions you've come up with, are inspiring!!
Thanks bud. Like I said a lot of this is on the fly as well as planned so I never really know what the end outcome will be. It's fun though

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Got some progress on the plane some tonight, turned out better then I thought. It's amazing what happens when you dry fit, recut, trim and notch, to get things just right. The nose vent is complete and makes the rest of the build is now looking so much easier. Take a look:
20190911_195955.jpg

This is the first and main section of the vent, It was reasonably easy to do if you take the time to fit it in. It did take a couple of pieces cut and refitted to get it down, but I planned out the glue in process and it went in simple, if you have done a turtle deck before this is just the same. the difficult part is coming:
20190911_205615.jpg

This was the tricky one. I wanted to take the boxy out of the P-40 and this was the icing on the cake. You will see why:
20190911_210301.jpg

LOOK AT THAT PROFILE! Flippin awesome. Makes the personality of the plane. Every plane has its thing, for the P-40 this is it. It's the reason so many of them have the obligatory shark teeth, tiger grin, or eagle beak painted on the front. So happy this turned out.
20190911_210424.jpg
@bracesport I will be using your same tail bottom as you did on the Silver Spit. Thank you for that. On to the next chapter.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• 20190911_210132.jpg
    20190911_210132.jpg
    614.1 KB · Views: 0

Sero

Elite member
Got some progress on the plane some tonight, turned out better then I thought. It's amazing what happens when you dry fit, recut, trim and notch, to get things just right. The nose vent is complete and makes the rest of the build is now looking so much easier. Take a look:
View attachment 142328
This is the first and main section of the vent, It was reasonably easy to do if you take the time to fit it in. It did take a couple of pieces cut and refitted to get it down, but I planned out the glue in process and it went in simple, if you have done a turtle deck before this is just the same. the difficult part is coming: View attachment 142329
This was the tricky one. I wanted to take the boxy out of the P-40 and this was the icing on the cake. You will see why:
View attachment 142331
LOOK AT THAT PROFILE! Flippin awesome. Makes the personality of the plane. Every plane has its thing, for the P-40 this is it. It's the reason so many of them have the obligatory shark teeth, tiger grin, or eagle beak painted on the front. So happy this turned out.
View attachment 142332 @bracesport I will be using your same tail bottom as you did on the Silver Spit. Thank you for that. On to the next chapter.

Thanks for reading.
I'm impressed. Very nice work!

You going to put the Tiger shark nose art on it?