NEXT LEVEL P-40 Group Build

PoorManRC

Master member
The unbreakable POWER POD???
Well, I'm going to try!
First, which is going to make things MUCH better
IMG_20190930_021629.jpg

THIS stuff is STRONG!!

Now, the way I've seen Power Pods and Firewalls FAIL... I've come up with something New, based on what I actually have sitting around here!!
IMG_20190930_145919.jpg

IMG_20190930_150424.jpg

IMG_20190930_150650.jpg

IMG_20190930_150946.jpg

IMG_20190930_151205.jpg

Which is not really going to be...
Because it WON'T be removable! 😉
IMG_20190930_151711.jpg

IMG_20190930_152404.jpg

The Plastic sticking out of the sides, is intentional. It's actually going to KEY into the Fuse! 😊
IMG_20190930_152639.jpg

IMG_20190930_152858.jpg

IMG_20190930_153546(1).jpg

Salmonslaya

View attachment 141561
Plans printed and assembled. Watched the build vid and as it sits it looks like a basic fold it form it kinda build. the thing I am stuck on is how to make the bottom tip to tail a more formed piece and still maintain the accessibility to the electronics. What I want to do as far as a plan goes is to first, figure out how to build a top hatch for the battery and keep the ESC under the pod. Mind you having a removable pod and nose scoop seems to be a floppy operation and lends itself to overly extensive damage on hits to the ground. It happens. Hey if your not breaking planes you aren't pushing yourself! I don't think I want a removable wing either, which would be a simple solution to the accessibility issue. I will be installing a fixed pod to gain rigidity in the nose and using the Dollar Tree kitchen cutting board for a firewall, no more broken firewalls for this guy.

The full scale P-40 looks like it had a polyhedral close to the wing root as opposed to a center split dihedral like in the plans. Not sure how I will accomplish that yet either. There will be some practicing ironing FB edges tonight to get the tapers and bevels dialed in. Wish me luck lol (y):cool:(y)
I am out a warbird and I have a need for a new one. I have seen a lot of creative things from the Spitfire group effort and I am calling all who are willing to get in on this one. In the northern hemisphere there is only a couple months left to get the warbird hanger built up before the winter planes start skimming on snow, so this will be the last fast plane before the more practical winter Cub's, Storch's and Bushwacker's hit the skies.

This will be a preparation to a more advance Master Series build that will be a winter project or two. The P-40! As per the plans even though it is hailed as an entry level plane into the Master Series, I think it would be cool to see what kind of ideas come from taking a still fairly squared off plane and give it more grace in its lines and aerodynamics. The under nose scoop is one area that could use some creative work, actually the whole bottom could use some smoothing. Maybe take the ridges out of the wings for a molded profile for speed. Anything goes and any ideas are more then welcome to be shared. I will be looking at historical pics and trying to emulate the P-40 as close as possible. No holds barred on the details to create the most realistic warbird going. Striving to get the essence of this plane not only in the build but performance as well to test our improved skills, practiced over the summer, will be the name of the game.

Any takers chime in!!
Here is my P-40, it was a pretty easy build and fun to try to paint scale awaiting the red nose spinner to complete for Maiden!
20190921_024453.jpg
20190921_151659.jpg
20190921_151950.jpg
20190923_115647.jpg
20190923_115722.jpg
20190923_140029.jpg
20190925_135358.jpg
20190926_023418.jpg
20190926_023617.jpg
20190926_023848.jpg
20190929_182715.jpg
20190929_182608.jpg
20190929_182551.jpg
downloadfile_352205280191262.jpg

Attachments

• 20190923_122834.jpg
    20190923_122834.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

Salmonslaya

I am out a warbird and I have a need for a new one. I have seen a lot of creative things from the Spitfire group effort and I am calling all who are willing to get in on this one. In the northern hemisphere there is only a couple months left to get the warbird hanger built up before the winter planes start skimming on snow, so this will be the last fast plane before the more practical winter Cub's, Storch's and Bushwacker's hit the skies.

This will be a preparation to a more advance Master Series build that will be a winter project or two. The P-40! As per the plans even though it is hailed as an entry level plane into the Master Series, I think it would be cool to see what kind of ideas come from taking a still fairly squared off plane and give it more grace in its lines and aerodynamics. The under nose scoop is one area that could use some creative work, actually the whole bottom could use some smoothing. Maybe take the ridges out of the wings for a molded profile for speed. Anything goes and any ideas are more then welcome to be shared. I will be looking at historical pics and trying to emulate the P-40 as close as possible. No holds barred on the details to create the most realistic warbird going. Striving to get the essence of this plane not only in the build but performance as well to test our improved skills, practiced over the summer, will be the name of the game.

Any takers chime in!!
Nice. it's a clean build. Paint looks great, colors matching. I likey.

Are you going to get vids of the maiden?
Yes sir! I'll post!

PoorManRC

Master member
VERY good Job of the Paint!! Also, clever idea with the Canopy and "Cockpit"!! 👍👍 WAY better than Paper, just enough detail to make a good representation.

What were the Colors you used, top and bottom?

Salmonslaya

VERY good Job of the Paint!! Also, clever idea with the Canopy and "Cockpit"!! 👍👍 WAY better than Paper, just enough detail to make a good representation.

What were the Colors you used, top and bottom?
I used OD Green for the top and then a OD Green Base and white cover for the bottom, gave it the off white look. The canopy is made from just a single sheet of laminating sheeting laminated to itself.

PoorManRC

Master member
I used OD Green for the top and then a OD Green Base and white cover for the bottom, gave it the off white look. The canopy is made from just a single sheet of laminating sheeting laminated to itself.

If you can do about $5 on a VERY happy Accident...
IMG_20190926_092121.jpg

Whatever a Nobler is, it's Canopy has the SAME basic shape, and Size - as the forward portion of the P-40 Canopy!! 😲
IMG_20190926_092538.jpg

It's even got the FLAT bit at the front almost nearly like that of the P-40!
Feather light and one piece.

That's a pretty dark Olive Drab... Airbrush or Spray Bomb? What's the Brand name?

I really am impressed.

PoorManRC

Master member
That canopy is sweet! I'll remember that for next build. The OD darkened up quite a bit after I put the polyurethane over it

It did amaze me, how the back nearly perfectly conformed to the Turtle Deck!! 👍👍 It's a bit short, but no worries - that just means I can do another clear strip, to make the sliding Canopy!! 😎

Thanks for the specifics on the Paint. I can get that at Wally World.

Gotta run to the Doctor... I'll watch the Video when I get there. Just the picture CONVINCES me that I have to get a Spinner!!

PoorManRC

Master member
Nervous.... 😱
I tried an experiment. In the interest of making the elusive DURABLE FT Aircraft, one of the things I did last night, was fill the whole front of the Wing with Great Stuff Spray Foam insulation....
From the L.E. to the Spar.

I'm EITHER going to have a VERY strong Wing, or an EXPLODED one!!😠😖

I'll be home from the Doctor soon and then find out.
Cross your fingers!

Salmonslaya

Nervous.... 😱
I tried an experiment. In the interest of making the elusive DURABLE FT Aircraft, one of the things I did last night, was fill the whole front of the Wing with Great Stuff Spray Foam insulation....
From the L.E. to the Spar.

I'm EITHER going to have a VERY strong Wing, or an EXPLODED one!!😠😖

I'll be home from the Doctor soon and then find out.
Cross your fingers!
Bwahaha! How much weight did it add?

PoorManRC

Master member
Bwahaha! How much weight did it add?

Hard to tell yet... It lightens as it cures
I filled the bottom Battery Hatch already (EVEN though I made it a top loader ha), and I couldn't MEASURE the difference!!

That mean according to my Scale, it added LESS than one milligram!!! 😎👍👍

In the Wing (wet), it added 14mg....