NEXT LEVEL P-40 Group Build

PoorManRC

Master member
Steerable Tail Wheel done RIGHT - I hope!
IMG_20191011_115559.jpg
IMG_20191011_120229.jpg
IMG_20191011_120506.jpg
IMG_20191011_120731.jpg
IMG_20191011_121224.jpg

THAT Pivot Piece that goes to the Rudder, was a PAIN to squeeze under the Wheel Support!! 😖😠
Learned that the whole thing NEEDS to be assembled first!
IMG_20191011_121628.jpg

It did add some Tail Weight, and has limited Steering...
But the entire weight bearing surface sits on the Fuse. No worries about bending Rudders!! 😁😎
IMG_20191011_122413.jpg
IMG_20191011_122915.jpg
IMG_20191011_123329.jpg

Cheers 🍻🍻

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Just a reminder you could use substantially thinner wire and a coffee stirrer sleeve glued half way up the rod to eliminate flex if your worried about tail weight. The tail wheel mechanism looks great though, simple and efficient.

PoorManRC

Master member
Just a reminder you could use substantially thinner wire and a coffee stirrer sleeve glued half way up the rod to eliminate flex if your worried about tail weight. The tail wheel mechanism looks great though, simple and efficient.

DAMN!! I already knew that! 😖 I did Coffee Stirrer Tubes on Tubby Cubby and even more so on the Scout.
My Short Term Memory....
But I could tell you exactly what I did on 3 Mar, 1989!! 😲

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
That motor looks good😉 I can’t wait to see that thing fly - you did your homework, and if all the controls are going the right way, that thing will be a blast!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Holy S#$T I almost forgot about this thread lol. There is the man back on the Warhawk. I built the same kind of block for mine as well. Seems like no matter what plane I put the Power pod into it balances out with that block in there, made mine from FB though. One pro tip. If you have milk jug plastic to steal from, glue a section to the block that the battery rests up to. You would be amazed at how much inertia comes from a battery that goes from full speed to a full stop, might blow that foam block apart and still puncture the battery. The milk jug plastic is like a Kevlar vest and takes the impact and resists the shaft from penetrating the battery.

Oh hey I was gonna say too, do you remember the power pod I made on that thread where I showcased the skewers integrated into the pod... still using it. had to replace the firewall a couple times but she is still solid. Those crazy nay-sayers about the power pod being sacrificial lol.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Oh hey I was gonna say too, do you remember the power pod I made on that thread where I showcased the skewers integrated into the pod... still using it. had to replace the firewall a couple times but she is still solid. Those crazy nay-sayers about the power pod being sacrificial lol.
Still using mine too! If I ever need to replace the spitfire, I’ll build a p-40...

PoorManRC

Master member
Yup Boys, she still lives!!! Getting closer....

I've definitely done my homework. I have a good idea now, how NOT to build one of these!! 😆😄
I'll add the Milk Jug Plastic, need all the help I can get!!

NAIMAPI

I'm going to be a late entry... But COUNT ME IN!!! 👍👍
I'm getting a P-40 to build for a friend of mine, I'm going to try the ironing method. Looks MUCH easier than my sand and seal, and might even be stronger than my method!!

I'll be short of supplies, but my P-40 is definitely happening - WITH extra details - and my friend wants the "Flying Tigers" Livery. 😁

I'm very likely going to TRACE copies of it, and make one for myself TOO!! (As opposed to "to") 😜😂😉
The full scale P-40 looks like it had a polyhedral close to the wing root as opposed to a center split dihedral like in the plans. Not sure how I will accomplish that yet either. There will be some practicing ironing FB edges tonight to get the tapers and bevels dialed in. Wish me luck lol (y):cool:(y)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The full scale P-40 looks like it had a polyhedral close to the wing root as opposed to a center split dihedral like in the plans. Not sure how I will accomplish that yet either. There will be some practicing ironing FB edges tonight to get the tapers and bevels dialed in. Wish me luck lol (y):cool:(y)
If you have never Ironed edges before I have a tutorial vid on my YouTube channel to help you out. The channel is in a link in my signature and the vids are in the playlist section on the channel. Check it out.

Marty72

Elite member
Moving forward with the P-40 build. Waiting on components, the C power pack along with other items. I did the economy shipping, I think it's pony express because I order it Thursday, but won't get the stuff until a week from Tuesday. Maybe they put it on a ship, California, around Cape Horn to Florida.

Working out the graphics (size), paint colors, and will be minwaxing soon. The wings aren't complete yet (need servos), but I have fit checked them into the fuselage (some minor sanding was required to open up the cutouts). The build is spec, no mods or deviations. Regardless, I'm pretty excited about it and think it's going to look really good when it's done. (fingers crossed)

At the moment, I'm pretty much coping the P-40E USAAF version. Lots of different schemes, but I seem to like this classic the most. I suspect this plane is going to sit awhile even after it's built. I've got to develop my skills, but with the larger field, good weather conditions, and more flight time who knows. I also suspect that this will be the Practice P-40, to be followed with a new clean version after I learn to fly it. I've also learned my lesson, I'm not putting landing gear on the plane until I learn to fly it. As far as painting it up and the details, I enjoy that stuff and if I do destroy it on the maiden, I'll be able to duplicate the plane pretty quickly.

The Practice Scout is serving me well, after I work out landings and take offs with it, I'll be stripping the plane of it's components and incorporating them into the New Simple Scout (which is pretty much built and waiting).

Here's the plane in the rough.

IMG_2044.JPG

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Moving forward with the P-40 build. Waiting on components, the C power pack along with other items. I did the economy shipping, I think it's pony express because I order it Thursday, but won't get the stuff until a week from Tuesday. Maybe they put it on a ship, California, around Cape Horn to Florida.

Working out the graphics (size), paint colors, and will be minwaxing soon. The wings aren't complete yet (need servos), but I have fit checked them into the fuselage (some minor sanding was required to open up the cutouts). The build is spec, no mods or deviations. Regardless, I'm pretty excited about it and think it's going to look really good when it's done. (fingers crossed)

At the moment, I'm pretty much coping the P-40E USAAF version. Lots of different schemes, but I seem to like this classic the most. I suspect this plane is going to sit awhile even after it's built. I've got to develop my skills, but with the larger field, good weather conditions, and more flight time who knows. I also suspect that this will be the Practice P-40, to be followed with a new clean version after I learn to fly it. I've also learned my lesson, I'm not putting landing gear on the plane until I learn to fly it. As far as painting it up and the details, I enjoy that stuff and if I do destroy it on the maiden, I'll be able to duplicate the plane pretty quickly.

The Practice Scout is serving me well, after I work out landings and take offs with it, I'll be stripping the plane of it's components and incorporating them into the New Simple Scout (which is pretty much built and waiting).

View attachment 149021
It’s already looking great!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

View attachment 149021
VERY smooth and clean build! Your canopy is outstanding!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

View attachment 149021
That looks amazing even before paint man, super clean. And that's only your third plane right?! You are going to love flying this thing, not that I flew mine much given the maiden destroyed it, or I did, one or the other lol. I would like to re-do it someday, and the Spit, and build a Mustang, and the Mig… who am i kidding, I want them all. I haven't seen any flying vids from your direction lately, I almost miss them. Gonna take some vid of the maiden? :D

Marty72

Elite member
Thanks guys. The canopy is just made out of black poster board, I just tacked on there to see how it would look. The flat black poster board does a nice job of not showing things you don't want to see. I'm going to make one out of white poster board and drawing the frame and see if I can pull that off. Yes, this is my third build, my abilities with a hobby knife have improved dramatically. The scratch builds give you a lot of knife practice, that's for sure.

I did find gluing the turtle deck to the fuselage (and sealing the paper down) was nearly impossible to get it as clean as I wanted (also I had a glue gun malfunction during install and that made things even worse). The hot glue and the paper tend to "bump up" and the paper gets creases. I covered up ugly seams with strips of photo paper and tape. I think the flat OD paint will hide most of the flaws. If I were to do it over, I'd keep the hot glue off the paper and bond the paper down later with rubber cement or even tape. I'll definitely experiment with that before the next build.

Yeah, my videos now wouldn't be so exciting. I'm simply not crashing and I'm flying much higher with the large field. I do really miss a plush short grass field to try and do take offs and landings. I've got lumpy ground, sand and weeds (and thorns) or a paved road with curbs to land on now. Pavement is pretty unforgiving and the curbs are another hazzard. But at least now I can focus on my flying skills. Well I'm off to fly this morning before the wind picks up. I'll take a video or two soon.

Marty72

Elite member
I had a good session today, the Practice Scout was getting a bit soft on all the control surfaces, I fixed the delaminations and added reinforcements to the elevator. Tomorrow if all goes well, I'll take some video. To add to the excitement, my first attempted wheel take off and landing with the Scout (on pavement) to up the ante.

Marty72

Elite member
No, I'll try for the first time tomorrow. I'll fly a few batteries first, so if I destroy the plane on the attempt (curbs), I don't go away without being able to fly first. I did my first rolls with the Scout today, not pretty but working it. I love the big open field, I can fly so high and I feel so unrestricted that I can try all sorts of things and have room and time to recover. What a difference it makes. I have the hand launches down cold now, just climb up and out, no turning, no drama. I do miss the beautiful manicured soccer field for landing. That would be so nice now, when I had it, I wasn't good enough to use it.