NEXT LEVEL P-40 Group Build

Marty72

Elite member
I agree completely, but I've enjoyed the doing it on my own, my way experience a lot. I know you understand (and probably most on this forum do as well). Those who are easily discourage, definitely should join a club. That is the proper way to do it and you don't even risk damaging your plane. Heck, if I was advising someone how to do this, that's what I'd tell them to do. However, today, with forums, youtube, so much information out there, you are never really doing this without help.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I am late to the party but I got a bug to build a slightly more advanced plane and I started cutting out a p-40 yesterday. I have a few days off and my wife game me some free time so I didn't waste much time and started working. I am afraid it will be mostly to spec. I am not quite up to going off book yet. I'd like to know how they fly as designed before I change too much. I did stall a bit when the plan was to use Popsicle sticks for a part of it. paint sticks i had. but no popsicle. luckily i have scraps of all sorts laying around and trimmed down some cedar and made my own :) most of the build has gone well. the canopy gave me a bit of trouble so i kind of just bashed it on there. ill make it pretty
later.

day one was print, paste, cut and trim
day two was fold, bend, and glue
tomorrow. the plan is to install servo rods, power pod, and get it ready for paint. maybe if i am ambitious ill actually start that bit too. but who knows. I have to take advantage of my free time while i can :)

IMG_20191125_122633_resize_41.jpg
IMG_20191125_194946.jpg

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Looks sweet man. Good job, keep doin work like that and you might get your own show. Now the question is... WHAT'S NEXT?
Next? hum there is a list. maybe ill have to start drawing them out of a hat. or maybe let one of my young relatives draw a plane and try to build it like they drew it. hum that could be .. er . interesting. maybe i wont chose the youngest kid :)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
That looks good @Zetoyoc ! And I like the ironing on the wingtips! Nothing wrong with doing it stock - that’s what I often do! On my viggen all I added was a second layer of foam board for a kfm wing, and on the bushwhacker I’m working on now, I’ll be making the wing attached with bbq skewers instead of rubber bands. One common mod I do is making it accommodate a swappable power pod. That’s what I did with my “Big Bravo” commuter (along with a semi-removeable wing mod), ft-22, and mini mamba.

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Next? hum there is a list. maybe ill have to start drawing them out of a hat. or maybe let one of my young relatives draw a plane and try to build it like they drew it. hum that could be .. er . interesting. maybe i wont chose the youngest kid :)
You know what, that would be awesome. I wouldn't let my kids do it. They have seen me build so many planes I am sure they would want to test my skills and come up with the most outlandish, no way this could fly, tie the FB into knots kinda contraption :ROFLMAO:

Marty72

Elite member
Sorry no landing video today. Maybe soon, not going to commit on a date (like a did yesterday).

Zetoyoc, really nice work there. Where did you get the brown paper FB and is that the water resistance stuff? I'm going to have to try the ironing next time. I saw Battleaxe's video on it, looked like a fair amount of work.

I'm waiting on components, can't build the wings until I get the 2 servos. So I'm finishing up the fuselage details, did the minwax last night. (beaten up Practice Scout in the back ground). It won't be long before it's upgraded to its new chassis and possibly a C motor upgrade.

IMG_2056.JPG

mach1 rc

Master member
Sorry no landing video today. Maybe soon, not going to commit on a date (like a did yesterday).

Zetoyoc, really nice work there. Where did you get the brown paper FB and is that the water resistance stuff? I'm going to have to try the ironing next time. I saw Battleaxe's video on it, looked like a fair amount of work.

I'm waiting on components, can't build the wings until I get the 2 servos. So I'm finishing up the fuselage details, did the minwax last night. (beaten up Practice Scout in the back ground). It won't be long before it's upgraded to its new chassis and possibly a C motor upgrade.

View attachment 149207
Looks SUPER nice.👌

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member

View attachment 149207
Nice paint job, how did you do the decals?

Marty72

Elite member
Appreciate the nice comments. I was unsure about the paint color at first, stop painting it because it just seemed too dark but that's OD. Actually after I finished the paint, it looked better to me.

Not sure it's the best choice but this time I simple used thin photo paper and printed graphics out. Struggled with the printer some, dirty nozzles, kept missing the colors. Anyway, that and I used 77 spray adhesive, which is kind of messy and some got on the image (that did not make me happy). I should have done some more experimenting before applying. Hot glue applied lightly and smoothed out the sticker might have worked better (don't know) or maybe rubber cement. These are all easy things to figure out but I got caught up in the moment and couldn't get the graphics on there fast enough. Next time I use more patience.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Every build is an experiment of some kind. I have yet to have a build where something didn't go south on me. By the time I was done the Bushwhacker I could have built 2 of them given the materials I used. First fuse was twisted, completely lost the first wing, and screwed up one half of the second wing. A plane that was supposed to be 3 sheets of FB turned out to be 7. That plane is lucky it flies nice because it could have been on the business end of a baseball bat lol

Marty72

Elite member
The Practice Scout is fine, I really should fly it as long as I can before I upgrade it to 2.0. I've actually learned a lot since Friday, both the UMX Timber and the Scout are perfect planes for me right now. The Timber is such a great flying plane, it makes the Scout seem stodgy, it's just is not as maneuverable or response as the UMX Timber. I did stiffen up the control surfaces on the scout, particularly the elevator, so when I flew it this morning, it was way out of trim. Climbed straight up, I guess I've been flying with a mushy elevator for awhile. Got it all trimmed out and working good but it still comes up short to the Timber. I know I'm repeating myself, but a bigger field and more elevation has been really beneficial to my flying. With all the elevation, I can try all sorts of things and have plenty of time to recover. With the much larger field, I don't have to worry about the direction of the recovery (trees), just don't hit the ground.

Question: I have a lot of orientation confusion with the Scout, now that is probably due to my paint scheme, Iron Cross on the top of the wing and on the bottom as well. Same color, same pattern (top and bottom, left and right). The big field and high flying prevent this from being a problem, I just wait until I get my bearings. So can I fix this problem by making the underside of the wings a different color? Or something else with paint? What can I do in the future to help me keep orientation?

Zetoyoc

Elite member

View attachment 149207
Great looking plane there. The ironing really wasn't much extra work, less than i imagined anyway, and I do like the look of it when finished.

not much progress on mine today. got sidetracked diagnosing what turned out to be a bad Rx. new one on order and now some clam music and time away from the project is in order. :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Most do color the bottom different from the top. It could be as simple as your Scout for example, just paint the bottom of the wings solid red and keep the crosses on the top. Or use a different color all together. Black and white stripes do help as well, maybe just on one wing.
20191021_214346.jpg 20191021_214410.jpg or 20191027_142938.jpg 20191027_143156.jpg
In your case with the Scout you have now, you said you wait till you get your bearings, It happens to me sometimes. What I do is just pull back on the right stick and see which way it pitches, mind you it could go south quick. Mind you if you are inverted with your hands of the sticks it will dive to the ground anyway lol