NEXT LEVEL P-40 Group Build

Zetoyoc

Elite member
That's just amazing!

First off beautiful build! Wish I would have known you were doing that scheme, I would have gladly shared the tail skins to my 325th Fighter Group skin and edited a canopy to make it red to save you some time.
View attachment 149871

I also did a similar set of skins based on plans designed by community member MiniacRC. I added invasion stripes to mine (not historically accurate) for orientation purposes.

View attachment 149872

Good luck on the maiden!
Very nice. I love that livery. I considered the invasion stripes but so far for orientation I left off the yellow checks from under the tail. Hopefully that will be enough. If I have trouble still I may add the stripes. I did enjoy the hand painting of the red and it even looks to me pretty nice seeing some of the black through it , sort of a worn look. I also had the time this time. But I will certainly look more closely at your skins in the future and think of you earlier in my next build process. Thank you.
-Jesse

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
That's just amazing!

First off beautiful build! Wish I would have known you were doing that scheme, I would have gladly shared the tail skins to my 325th Fighter Group skin and edited a canopy to make it red to save you some time.
View attachment 149871

I also did a similar set of skins based on plans designed by community member MiniacRC. I added invasion stripes to mine (not historically accurate) for orientation purposes.

View attachment 149872

Good luck on the maiden!
Are these skins available to download for free to print off ourselves, just a question, I checked your website a few times for painting inspiration and wanted to print off some to copy in paint.

BTW that black/red Stud version is wicked, I like the orientation stripes, nice addition

PoorManRC

Master member
That's just amazing!

View attachment 149871

View attachment 149872

Good luck on the maiden!
Do you do the Invasion Stripes separately?
That would be great for Painted Planes....

It's hard enough Painting Foam Board (which makes your Skin Kits VERY desirable!!)....

Separate Invasion Stripes? That would be a great addition to anyone's project, even if it's not always "Scale". 😉

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Are these skins available to download for free to print off ourselves, just a question, I checked your website a few times for painting inspiration and wanted to print off some to copy in paint. BTW that black/red Stud version is wicked, I like the orientation stripes, nice addition

The 325th fighter group skin with the yellow/black checkered tail is for the FT P40 but I have not finished it off yet. This is the P40 I took the inspiration from:
Desert 1.jpg

The red/black "Stud" is for a mini P40 and is downloadable on the Resource page here. It was designed by community member MiniacRC.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
The 325th fighter group skin with the yellow/black checkered tail is for the FT P40 but I have not finished it off yet. This is the P40 I took the inspiration from:
View attachment 149932

The red/black "Stud" is for a mini P40 and is downloadable on the Resource page here. It was designed by community member MiniacRC.
That is going to be a great looking skin. I am looking forward to seeing some p-40s built with that livery.

Marty72

Elite member
I was working on the P 40 tonight, installing the C motor and took a shot a balancing it. To get the spec CG of 2.0 inches from the leading edge, I had to shove the battery way back. 2/3 of the battery was over the wing, with 1/3 hanging over the front of the wing. Is this sound right? Others seeing this? Now the spinner is pretty heavy and that's hanging over the front. I'm hoping that others who have a spinner attached can chime in. The battery is a 3 cell 2200 mah

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I was working on the P 40 tonight, installing the C motor and took a shot a balancing it. To get the spec CG of 2.0 inches from the leading edge, I had to shove the battery way back. 2/3 of the battery was over the wing, with 1/3 hanging over the front of the wing. Is this sound right? Others seeing this? Now the spinner is pretty heavy and that's hanging over the front. I'm hoping that others who have a spinner attached can chime in. The battery is a 3 cell 2200 mah

I just got my spinners and props in today. Currently getting some thrust test data. Ill let you know what I find when I get it mounted to the plane.

Marty72

Elite member
The spinner was a bit of a pain. Tell me what tool you use for the cap hd socket screws that hold the spinner together. None of my metric allen keys fit, 2.5 mm too small, 3.0 to big. (I don't think they sent a tool, but it was weeks ago so....) I don't have a complete set of US Allen keys anymore (or couldn't find them). I ended up using a torx driver that fit. It's not the right tool but it fit tight and worked.

Yeah, I'm just curious about the battery placement, very different from the Scout. I put all the velcro in the wrong place. ha I agree, keeping all the mass at the CG is ideal for any vehicle of motion. Reduces inertia greatly.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I haven't gotten to maiden my p-40 yet. The weather and my timing hasn't worked out well lately. The one day I am not able to fly of course the weather looks pretty good . Oh well. It'll happen soon. I keep seeing all these other great looking planes and hearing how well they fly,. Soon. Very soon I hope. Lol